• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Great Batsmen Getting the Wicket of Other Great Batsmen with the ball

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
He was a ODI bowler mainly. Bowled very rarely in the tests because SL had few seamers up their sleeves pre 90s. But in ODIs he did bowl regularly up to early 1990s. It's unfair to say that he was a rank part timer. He was on par with Aravinda with the ball. Probably bowled 120-125k speed. That's lively medium. Don't confuse with lively fast-,medium where the speeds would be 135-140ks.
On reflection correct he was not rank part timer. But he wasn't good enough to be a fourth seamer like a Jacob Oram either. I don't know what you call bowlers like that. Frequently the commentators just say "much more than a part timer". Certainly Ranatunga was an order of magnitude better than Mike Hussey or Jonathan Trott.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty sure Mike Gatting dismissed M D Crowe after the latter had scored his maiden Test century.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is Sanath Jayasuriya the greatest ODI all rounder or does that title go to Kapil Dev? Or somebody else, like Imran, Symonds, Klusener?

harsh.ag

Nah. Just wondering how the **** did Jayasuriya end up getting so many ODI wickets?!

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty sure Mike Gatting dismissed M D Crowe after the latter had scored his maiden Test century.
Yup - in 1984. He also dismissed Martin Crowe after he'd made another ton in 1988. Even more astonishingly, he had an lbw appeal upheld against Zaheer Abbas in Faislabad shortly after the first Crowe dismissal.

Early in his career, Gatt's bowling was seen as an acceptable option from time to time, certainly at county level. Less so in his later and fatter years, of course. But 158 FC wickets at a touch under 30 suggests that he could bowl a bit.

Last edited:

fredfertang

I saw Gatt bowling in a Gillette Cup game in his early years and he was swinging the ball all over the place - the only problem seemed to be, judging by the look on his face, that he didn't know how he was doing it and Brearley struggled to set a field for him

watson

Banned
Just checked Atherton's bowling figures and apparently he claimed 2 wickets, one of which was Dilip Vengsarker in 1990 - c & b.

Obviously could have been a great leg- spinner if not for his bad back.

fredfertang

Back in the day Athers used to get quite a few wickets for Lancashire, and in fact was their leading wicket taker one season - I don't think I'd ever actually seen him bowl before he played for England and really was looking forward to his getting to turn his arm over against India in 1990 - when he did he bowled absolute filth - I was incredibly disappointed, which is why I've never forgotten that dismissal - had never seen the Akram one before - goes to show he could bowl!

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Sanath Jayasuriya the greatest ODI all rounder or does that title go to Kapil Dev? Or somebody else, like Imran, Symonds, Klusener?
Sanath is a better match winner than Kapil Dev. But there is plenty of stiff contest from Symonds, Klusener, Watson and Pollock. Even Razzaq is right up there with ODI all rounders. Would add Gilly, Dhoni and Sanga too as they are top class ODI wicket keepers.

I'd give the title to Dhoni. The greatest all round ODI player.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Certainly think Jayasuriya belongs in the discussion. His value to SL with bat and ball was massive. Dhoni is also a very good shout.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Well known opening bowler Saurav Ganguly took a fair few notable wickets - Mark Taylor, De Silva, Jayawardene, Thorpe, Mo Yousuf, N Hussain, Sangakkara