• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Formats Draft

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Allan Border would've been awesome in T20s at number 6. Plus his little spinners and his brilliant fielding. Good choice.

watson

Banned
Shakib Al Hasan - one of the best allrounders in limited over cricket. Gives excellent depth to the bowling. Preferable IMO to either Symonds or Watson who were my backups for Round 5.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
R5
Camo999 - Sunil Narine
Dan - Mitchell Johnson
Howe_zat - Saeed Ajmal
morgieb - Wally Hammond
Monk - Everton Weekes
Aldo Raine - Lance Klusener
ohnoitsyou - Chris Cairns
Pothas - Andrew Symonds
harsh.ag - Shane Watson
Saint Kopite - Allan Border
Blakus - Virender Sehwag
watson - Shakib Al-Hasan
kyear2 - Sourav Ganguly
GI Joe

R6
GI Joe
kyear2
watson
Blakus

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Just home from the beach thinking that I'd be holding up proceedings. Strange definition of 'in a while' Joe :)
Sorry. Came back and realised I needed to make two picks. I had to think of the second one and other stuff came up in the interim.

Fiery Fred and the Governor-General

TestODIT20
-
Charlie Macartney
-
Kevin Pietersen
-
Andrew Flintoff
Adam Gilchrist +
-
-
Fred Trueman
Dennis Lillee
Adam Gilchrist +
Charlie Macartney
-
Kevin Pietersen
-
Andrew Flintoff
-
-
-
Fred Trueman
Dennis Lillee
Adam Gilchrist +
Charlie Macartney
-
Kevin Pietersen
-
Andrew Flintoff
-
-
-
Fred Trueman
Dennis Lillee

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Macartney gone. ****.

I was hoping I'd be the only one in the draft who rated him that highly. But Hoe knows :(

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Macartney gone. ****.

I was hoping I'd be the only one in the draft who rated him that highly. But Hoe knows :(
Had 3 openers in mind at the start - Sehwag, Macartney and Warner. Had to grab at least one of them. :p

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Had 3 openers in mind at the start - Sehwag, Macartney and Warner. Had to grab at least one of them. :p
I prefer not to use Macartney as a Test opener in these hypotheticals, personally. Always my #3.

Good pick for ODIs and T20s IMO. Unorthodox and aggressive, can open the innings there, and bowls left-arm spin to about fifth bowler standard.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, Macartney an awesome pick. Definitely still part of #TeamHoe. The only thing that grates me slightly is Flintoff batting #6 in the Test side (I'm a big fan of Flintoff the cricketer but not Flintoff the Test batsman) but having Gilchrist at 7 more than makes up for that anyway.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Macartney and Trueman are both facinating choices Joe given the trend of the last Round or two. All of a sudden we've gone from mostly hyper-modern to pre and post War.

Macartney would make a thumping good limited over batsman though.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maccartney a great pick. Reckon he could've been a gun at the limited overs formats.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Maccartney a great pick. Reckon he could've been a gun at the limited overs formats.
I do think people are getting slightly carried away with how good pre-ODI batsmen would've been at ODIs based on how quickly they scored. Being too boundary-reliant (as I imagine most of the quick-scoring pre-war players war) can be a big drawback, especially when batting #3-5. Opening the batting with the field up is a bit different though (which is why I'm so happy Joe has inserted Macartney as opener in ODI cricket), and I'm sure guys like Trumper and Macartney would've been top T20 players if they played the game in their time.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, when I think of Macartney as being a good potential ODI/T20 bat, it comes more from tales of his technique rather than anything related to boundary reliance. He was unique in that he almost had the ability to score anywhere on the ground from almost any delivery. I reckon he'd be a master of hitting boundaries through gaps.