Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Associates to get a chance to play tests

  1. #1
    International Debutant OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Chennai, India
    Posts
    2,461

    Associates to get a chance to play tests

    Winner of the intercontinental cup will play the lowest ranked test team in a test series

    ICC news : Associates to get a shot at Test cricket | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | ESPN Cricinfo

    Good move, I say. Maybe
    Proud member of the Indian STFU: Sane Tendulkar Fanboy Union.
    Our motto: Sachin WAG, Don>>>Sachin

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    15,574
    Great move to make the Intercontinental meaningful, and to allow these teams to make their case in Tests.

    I'm not sure how it looks from the Zimbabwe/Bangladesh pov. Would you want to play this series?
    I'm always suspicious of shops that sell bait.

  3. #3
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    31,306
    Good move, I say. Maybe
    sticking your neck out there

    nah, i think this is a decent idea.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

  4. #4
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The great state of New South Wales
    Posts
    42,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    I'm not sure how it looks from the Zimbabwe/Bangladesh pov. Would you want to play this series?
    I think so. Would be a welcome change from getting your arse handed to you or not playing at all, especially if the ICC covered the costs as they would an I-Cup game.
    ~ Cribbage


  5. #5
    Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,468
    Excellent idea

    Bangladesh may finally win another Test, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

  6. #6
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    14,067
    I think it's a great idea. But what happens if let's say Afghanistan gets to play Bangladesh and completely wallops them? Do they get consideration for Test status to replace Bangladesh? Right now it sounds like nothing will change, which could be a bit anti-climactic.
    RIP Craigos

  7. #7
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The great state of New South Wales
    Posts
    42,669
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    I think it's a great idea. But what happens if let's say Afghanistan gets to play Bangladesh and completely wallops them? Do they get consideration for Test status to replace Bangladesh? Right now it sounds like nothing will change, which could be a bit anti-climactic.
    Teams aren't going to lose Test status based on this, but I think if associates win these games they'll be given (at least temporary) Test status. I absolutely hate the idea of the FTP being scrapped, but the big benefit of it is that you can give teams like Ireland and Afghanistan Test status without over-crowding the calender by forcing everyone to play them.

  8. #8
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    14,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Teams aren't going to lose Test status based on this, but I think if associates win these games they'll be given (at least temporary) Test status. I absolutely hate the idea of the FTP being scrapped, but the big benefit of it is that you can give teams like Ireland and Afghanistan Test status without over-crowding the calender by forcing everyone to play them.
    I didn't see that stated anywhere. While I welcome this strategy, I can see this as being scoffed at by Irish fans as a way to involve them without actually having to give them a proper Test status.

  9. #9
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The great state of New South Wales
    Posts
    42,669
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    I didn't see that stated anywhere. While I welcome this strategy, I can see this as being scoffed at by Irish fans as a way to involve them without actually having to give them a proper Test status.
    It's not been part of this announcement, but it was mentioned in all the draft proposals along this idea that seem to have been followed through on to this point. I don't think it's something the associates have been promised as such, but with no FTP there's no drawback to letting them play Tests if they want to, if other teams want to play them and they prove they're better than or similar to the worst full member(s).

  10. #10
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    11,396
    I think this is a bit of a cop out - I don't see why this is limited to the winners of the Intercontinental cup and why there then has to be a potentially tedious series of four matches - why can't Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, or even Sri Lanka, WI or NZ, all of whom have been known to whinge about not getting enough Test cricket, have to play one or two one off Tests a year against the higher ranked associates?

  11. #11
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,433
    Quite so.

    I disagree with Poos here; I'm no fan of the FTP at all. India, Oz, SA or ourselves are forced to play home series versus Bangladesh which aren't competitive, devalue the gold standard of tests &, much as I hate it to be a consideration, aren't really very profitable.

    The closest meaningful sport to compare here is probably rugby union. Nations outside tier one play tests but the bigger/better countries aren't forced to play them. We used to play Romania on a semi-regular basis, but the last test was a (IIRC) 134-0 blow out, so they haven't been invited back since. Should they improve I've no doubt they'll get regular games again, but there's never been any question of them losing their test status.
    Last edited by BoyBrumby; 10-04-2014 at 12:52 PM.
    - As featured in The Independent.

    "Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    15,574
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Quite so.

    I disagree with Poos here; I'm no fan of the FTP at all. India, Oz, SA or ourselves are forced to play home series versus Bangladesh which aren't competitive, devalue the gold standard of tests &, much as I hate it to be a consideration, aren't really very profitable.

    The closest meaningful sport to compare here is probably rugby union. Nations outside tier one play tests but the bigger/better countries aren't forced to play them. We used to play Romania on a semi-regular basis, but the last test was a (IIRC) 134-0 blow out, so they haven't been invited back since. Should they improve I've no doubt they'll get regular games again, but there's never been any question of them losing their test status.
    I absolutely love the international structure in RU but sticking point is that tours are rarer and shorter due to the still-profitable nature of club seasons. I fear it's too late to bring the masses back to county cricket even if the best players started appearing for their clubs again by making internationals less year-round, and they can't afford to try it.

  13. #13
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Justice For The 96
    Posts
    19,148
    Anything that bolsters associate participation at the top table gets a thumbs up from me, although actually allowing the associates to play ****ing World Cups should be the top priority.
    Adders likes this.

  14. #14
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    cricsim, lol
    Posts
    30,046
    I doubt this will make much difference to anything, in the grand scheme of things.

  15. #15
    Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,468
    I think it would be good if lower ranked Test teams like Pakistan, NewZealand, West Indies, etc play Tests against Ireland, Afghanistan or Netherlands. It would be a welcome change (especially for Pak to tour Ireland and Netherlands).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Do you think Bangladesh should play Tests??
    By satheeshv37 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 16-10-2012, 01:30 AM
  2. Who's going to play all five Tests?
    By Richard in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 26-07-2009, 04:59 PM
  3. Worst Player to Play 50 Tests
    By morgieb in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 02-11-2008, 04:23 AM
  4. Does pakistan play less tests?
    By Mard in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 20-07-2008, 12:01 PM
  5. Yuvraj should play in tests
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 09:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •