• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Associates to get a chance to play tests

Howe_zat

Audio File
Great move to make the Intercontinental meaningful, and to allow these teams to make their case in Tests.

I'm not sure how it looks from the Zimbabwe/Bangladesh pov. Would you want to play this series?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm not sure how it looks from the Zimbabwe/Bangladesh pov. Would you want to play this series?
I think so. Would be a welcome change from getting your arse handed to you or not playing at all, especially if the ICC covered the costs as they would an I-Cup game.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I think it's a great idea. But what happens if let's say Afghanistan gets to play Bangladesh and completely wallops them? Do they get consideration for Test status to replace Bangladesh? Right now it sounds like nothing will change, which could be a bit anti-climactic.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think it's a great idea. But what happens if let's say Afghanistan gets to play Bangladesh and completely wallops them? Do they get consideration for Test status to replace Bangladesh? Right now it sounds like nothing will change, which could be a bit anti-climactic.
Teams aren't going to lose Test status based on this, but I think if associates win these games they'll be given (at least temporary) Test status. I absolutely hate the idea of the FTP being scrapped, but the big benefit of it is that you can give teams like Ireland and Afghanistan Test status without over-crowding the calender by forcing everyone to play them.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Teams aren't going to lose Test status based on this, but I think if associates win these games they'll be given (at least temporary) Test status. I absolutely hate the idea of the FTP being scrapped, but the big benefit of it is that you can give teams like Ireland and Afghanistan Test status without over-crowding the calender by forcing everyone to play them.
I didn't see that stated anywhere. While I welcome this strategy, I can see this as being scoffed at by Irish fans as a way to involve them without actually having to give them a proper Test status.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I didn't see that stated anywhere. While I welcome this strategy, I can see this as being scoffed at by Irish fans as a way to involve them without actually having to give them a proper Test status.
It's not been part of this announcement, but it was mentioned in all the draft proposals along this idea that seem to have been followed through on to this point. I don't think it's something the associates have been promised as such, but with no FTP there's no drawback to letting them play Tests if they want to, if other teams want to play them and they prove they're better than or similar to the worst full member(s).

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think this is a bit of a cop out - I don't see why this is limited to the winners of the Intercontinental cup and why there then has to be a potentially tedious series of four matches - why can't Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, or even Sri Lanka, WI or NZ, all of whom have been known to whinge about not getting enough Test cricket, have to play one or two one off Tests a year against the higher ranked associates?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Quite so.

I disagree with Poos here; I'm no fan of the FTP at all. India, Oz, SA or ourselves are forced to play home series versus Bangladesh which aren't competitive, devalue the gold standard of tests &, much as I hate it to be a consideration, aren't really very profitable.

The closest meaningful sport to compare here is probably rugby union. Nations outside tier one play tests but the bigger/better countries aren't forced to play them. We used to play Romania on a semi-regular basis, but the last test was a (IIRC) 134-0 blow out, so they haven't been invited back since. Should they improve I've no doubt they'll get regular games again, but there's never been any question of them losing their test status.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Quite so.

I disagree with Poos here; I'm no fan of the FTP at all. India, Oz, SA or ourselves are forced to play home series versus Bangladesh which aren't competitive, devalue the gold standard of tests &, much as I hate it to be a consideration, aren't really very profitable.

The closest meaningful sport to compare here is probably rugby union. Nations outside tier one play tests but the bigger/better countries aren't forced to play them. We used to play Romania on a semi-regular basis, but the last test was a (IIRC) 134-0 blow out, so they haven't been invited back since. Should they improve I've no doubt they'll get regular games again, but there's never been any question of them losing their test status.
I absolutely love the international structure in RU but sticking point is that tours are rarer and shorter due to the still-profitable nature of club seasons. I fear it's too late to bring the masses back to county cricket even if the best players started appearing for their clubs again by making internationals less year-round, and they can't afford to try it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Anything that bolsters associate participation at the top table gets a thumbs up from me, although actually allowing the associates to play ****ing World Cups should be the top priority.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I think it would be good if lower ranked Test teams like Pakistan, NewZealand, West Indies, etc play Tests against Ireland, Afghanistan or Netherlands. It would be a welcome change (especially for Pak to tour Ireland and Netherlands).

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Even if it's not all that the associates might like Ireland might want, this is at least a step in the right direction.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I would love to see the UAE curating some pitches favourable to Afghanistan's fast bowlers if they get a chance to play Bangladesh in a "home" match.

Riggins

International Captain
I think it's good from a Zim/Bang point of view too. What better way to show that you deserve to keep your test status than by going out and smashing the best associate country.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's good from a Zim/Bang point of view too. What better way to show that you deserve to keep your test status than by going out and smashing the best associate country.
they don't think like that though.