• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Off Season 2014

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Guptill set to road test Crowe's new technique | Stuff.co.nz

Martin Crowe's verdict was both brutal and hopeful; he prescribed a six-month technical overhaul in the hope of issuing Guptill with a batting "warrant of fitness".
"You have to make a commitment to make some serious changes over six months and it's all around footwork and being faster, and deeper in the crease and closer to the ball. It's all about movement, it's not about hitting," Crowe said. "The prerequisite is you have to identify that you have deficiencies and you have to get rid of them and change for the good. That's the challenge."
...His footwork and what they call "hard hands" was an issue; lbw and caught in the cordon would come into play. Since April he has been in the workshop, so to speak. The overhaul included mental skills sessions and long hours in the Eden Park nets.
Sounds promising.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I predict Guptill will play only one FC game this summer at most, but probably none. So I hope his overhaul is not purely test match focused, as his ODI opening is more important this year than ever.

Agree he could improve in ODIs as well though. E.g picking up singles and putting away stuff on his pads.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Sort of hanging all his weight back to a fault now. Cuts successfully there from a fifth/sixth stump line. Bit of a different guy.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
Guptill still sounding incapable of rotating the strike.

6.1 Wardlaw to Guptill, OUT, pitches up around off and tries for a might hoick, early onto it and a leading edge towards third man, Guptill departs

MJ Guptill c Evans b Wardlaw 4 (18b 0x4 0x6) SR: 22.22
I wonder what Blocky would say....

Mike5181

International Captain
He puts so much pressure on his partner early on. Ryder didn't respond well to it. Latham's managed to survive.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Latham's survived but Ryder's cameos were also pretty useful to the team cause. Not sure which mode is best.

I think Hesson is well aware of the problem.

Flem274*

123/5
dat sample size guys

first day out with a rebuilt technique for goodness sake. anything to put the boot into our best odi opener hey.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah but we can't pretend that his strike rotation early on hasn't been an issue for a while. I'm not saying he should be dropped or anything it's just something to keep an eye on.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Scorecard looks abject. Unimpressed.
meh, it's not an un-defendable score and Anderson, McCullum and Latham did reasonably. I'm actually kinda happy with Anderson and McCullum coming in with plenty of work to do and not doing too bad of a job.

The big question mark is Neesham opening, which we might get to see next game with Latham possibly moving to 3 as backup batsman/keeper.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
What I'd like to see by the end of the summer build up is for Watling to usurp Ronchi, Neesham to be successful in the opener's role (we do need a genuine 6th bowler and unfortunately it won't be Ryder), and Guptill to find some form and confidence.

I think Latham is the perfect reserve batsman because he can cover the keeping role in a pinch, opener, and number 3 should Williamson sustain an injury.

Guptill
Neesham
Williamson
Taylor
McCullum
Anderson
Watling
Southee
Vettori
McCleneghan
Henry

Mills
Boult
NcCullum
Latham

or something like that, with the bowlers being completely interchangeable of course.

Munro might force his way into the squad on the back of being an all rounder.