• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Off Season 2014

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
The schedule is weird just finally had a look at it all together
Auckland have:
1 FC game
a month of T20
2 FC a month
a month of ford trophy
than the remainder of the Plunkett Shield.

I assume the other provinces are the same

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ Twenty20 competition details announced | Stuff.co.nz

For the first time the schedule will focus on "festival weekends", featuring up to five games at one venue. Hamilton hosts the first two weekends, followed by Auckland's Eden Park, Wellington's Westpac Stadium and Napier's McLean Park. It means all sides other than the defending champion Northern Knights will play just three of their 10 matches at home.

New Zealand Cricket said 27 games would be televised live on Sky Sport, including 17 night matches.

Black Caps players will be largely absent, with the team touring the United Arab Emirates against Pakistan for the duration of the T20 competition. There may be a window for cameo appearances from test frontliners in the latter stages, with coach Mike Hesson saying last week that several would be rested from the December one-day internationals against Pakistan.
So yeah, the actual cricket content in this Georgie Pie Super Smash is a bit like the milky stuff at the bottom of your McDonald's strawberry shake. Kiwis will probably love that tbf.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hurricane, you have to change your location now.

"Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie Super Smash" is even more amusing though :laugh:

Flem274*

123/5
So let me get this straight, ND get double ticket sales revenue and Canterbury get nothing? Or are the profits going to be shared around?
Wrong thread probably and apologies in advance...

But it's not actually called the Georgie Pie Super Smash? Really? Surely?
God I hope so. What an amazing name.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
So let me get this straight, ND get double ticket sales revenue and Canterbury get nothing? Or are the profits going to be shared around?

God I hope so. What an amazing name.
I don't know whether it's right for cricket, but Georgie Pie Super Smash would make a great band name.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ XI squad for warm-up matches against Scotland and Ireland:
Brendon McCullum (c) - Otago Volts
Corey Anderson - Northern Knights
Trent Boult - Northern Knights
Dean Brownlie - Northern Knights
Martin Guptill - Auckland Aces
Matt Henry - Canterbury
Tom Latham - Canterbury
Mitchell McClenaghan - Auckland Aces
Nathan McCullum - Otago Volts
Kyle Mills - Auckland Aces
Adam Milne - Central Stags
Colin Munro - Auckland Aces
James Neesham - Otago Volts
Luke Ronchi - Wellington Firebirds
Tim Southee - Northern Knights
Ross Taylor - Central Stags
Daniel Vettori - Northern Knights
BJ Watling - Northern Knights
Kane Williamson - Northern Knights

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What the hell is that T20 draw all about? Still no games at the Basin, but no games at Pukekura Park or any other of the nice boutique cricket grounds other than Seddon Park? ****ing hell. Eden Park filled with 500 people is gonna be a real money spinner. What are they thinking?

S'alright for Hamiltonians though, I guess. About time they caught a break.

I like this quote:

''Innovating and upping the entertainment factor was one of the key outcomes of our domestic cricket review, and we've got a few things in store that will reinvigorate this competition.''

How's about making the cricket about the cricket? They used to get decent turnouts at the Basin, but now they have to have entertainment but make the 'product' easier to digest for TV. The reason crowds have declined is that by kowtowing to the TV schedules, it's clear the NZC couldn't give a flying **** about your average turn-up-to-the-game punter. Who did their domestic cricket review anyway? Rupert Murdoch? ****s.

EDIT: I see the schedule also mentions games in Dunedin. Are these going to be at the University Oval, or would the floodlights at the Forsyth Barr Stadium be more 'entertaining' for the punters. I mean, we'd have all the fun of trying to puncture the roof with skied cricket balls, or at least a cricket ball ricocheting off the steel subframe and into the crowd. How's that for 'upping the entertainment factor'?

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
On the new domestic schedule

I predict a failure for the Super Smash in this November window.

I think scheduling based solely on avoiding clashing with the BBL is really poorly thought out. (Although I don’t have access to any Sky viewing figures to see the reasoning).

I reckon they have two sustainable options for the T20;

- Put it back in the post-xmas holiday period and concentrate on attendance at the ground, engaging youngsters etc. Squashed into one month

- Or schedule a round each Friday night, concentrating on Sky viewing figures /maintain subscriptions during the rugby off season. This would probably spread over 3 months. (they sort of half did this last year)

But the November pre-BBL window will achieve nothing. Pre-xmas is a terrible time for attendance as there are so many non-sporting clashes in the busiest working and social period of the year for many people. It will be interesting to see how the TV viewing goes, I have no idea but it might possibly work.

If it rains in Hamilton over that ‘festival weekend’, then that is potentially 16% of the whole comp washed out in one crappy weekend of Spring weather. That’s quite risky assuming gate receipts matter anymore? ND lost a releative packet last summer (or the one before?)when a single weather event washed out 2 games in Mt Maunganui.

Personally I would go the 1 round per week. With 1 match on Friday night on Sky, the other 2 non-televised matches of the round on Saturday afternoons for the family attendance market (or Friday twilight). Rest day/travel day on Sunday > Plunket Shield Monday to Thursday > same teams play each other in T20 on the following Friday (no travel) > then back to rest day/ travel day > Plunket Shield round etc etc etc for 10 weeks in total.

This way we also avoid the ‘blocks’. E.g. this year when Sri Lanka arrive for the first test of our summer, we will have played a grand total of 2 rounds of the Plunket Shield. That’s right, so if Rutherford keeps failing – despite being half way through our summer – we will be plucking a replacement opener out of our arses rather than based on any kind of assessment. Dean Brownlie, may I wish you fine weather on these 2 most vital weeks of the year for you.

But I have no problem if they reverted to T20 in post-xmas block (as long as they don’t then also **** up the scheduling of Plunket Shield like they used to up to 2 seasons ago).

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Where did we end up with the lights issue at the basin, if they resolved that then yes a domestic t20 game should be at the smaller custom venues.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Further to the Friday nights v summer holidays scheduling.

I actually watched quite a lot of the HRV Cup on Sky last year. I found the Friday nights convenient and easily remembered, I’m at a stage of life where I am at home on Fridays. Sky Go means I don’t have to inflict it on my wife.

I’ve been a T20 denier for quite a long time. Its only been the NZ teams doing OK in the Champions League in the last few years, plus the Friday night HRV that I have started watching it.

Previously with the day time HRV during Xmas holidays, I always missed it/forgot about it on Sky, didn’t want to spend 3 hours inside, and also had Telstra rather than Sky proper so had no MySky.

For Heath: The Wespac Stadium Trust published their annual review in the Dom about a week ago, and the 2 HRV games had a combined attendance of 1600ish, so that’s an average of 800 for the 2 games. So there is definitely a big trade off on attendance with those Friday Night games.

While I’m personally happy to watch on telly, I wouldn’t attend. Nights in November in Welly are still chilly, and I also assume it is the same in those cities further south of us.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
The MA’s and NZC earn significantly more money from sky TV than ticket sales for the T20 so everything is dictated by Sky which is why Basin and Pukekura park miss out as it costs more to set up cameras there.

Eden Park had quite good crowds, I thought, for the HRV cup, mostly because they just gave a lot of tickets out to the clubs, but it made for a good atmosphere with about 5000, significantly better than ITM cup

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
But the November pre-BBL window will achieve nothing. Pre-xmas is a terrible time for attendance as there are so many non-sporting clashes in the busiest working and social period of the year for many people. It will be interesting to see how the TV viewing goes, I have no idea but it might possibly work.
I don't think it's so much the viewing figures as it is about providing a good solid block of content for the fallow period in Sky's schedule; their churn period. This is where a proactive consumer finishes watching the rugby and league, decides he'll be too busy with work from now on anyway, and returns his decoder for the summer.

Sky's gross churn - the percentage of subscribers that discontinue their subscription over the period - was 13.3 per cent, down from 14.6 per cent in the previous period.
So yeah, lots of Otago and Jesse Ryder were bought in and it done relatively well last November. 1.3% less churn.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think it's so much the viewing figures as it is about providing a good solid block of content for the fallow period in Sky's schedule; their churn period. This is where a proactive consumer finishes watching the rugby and league, decides he'll be too busy with work from now on anyway, and returns his decoder for the summer.

So yeah, lots of Otago and Jesse Ryder were bought in and it done relatively well last November. 1.3% less churn.
I am fascinated with how to measure churn and once wrote a document for work on it and sent it around.
I will pretend you have asked me for me for my views so I can explain them.

The standard way of measuring churn is to take the losses and divide them by the inservice base.
The problem with that is that denominator in the equation has a mind of its own not related to losses and in months of the year where gross adds are high then churn artificially is lower.

My solution was to change the equation so that you only measure the losses of the people who have been signed up for 6 months or more and use as the denominator the inservice count six months ago.

You can also use a 3 month factor if you prefer.

My idea never took off.