• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Off Season 2014

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Has anyone heard any rumours about how Jesse has behaved in England? I'd be really interested to know if he's been acting up at all. It wouldn't surprise me if he's been going out but hasn't got the attention from the media so it never became a big deal.

I get the impression he just needs to be left alone to play and he'll do fine. Even if that means he's spending too many nights at the pub or whatever. He hasn't missed a game through injury (or anything else) as far as I know and has been a pretty damn good overseas pro. I'm sure Essex will want him back. It's a shame he's unlikely to ever fit with the way NZC want things done.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Has anyone heard any rumours about how Jesse has behaved in England? I'd be really interested to know if he's been acting up at all. It wouldn't surprise me if he's been going out but hasn't got the attention from the media so it never became a big deal.

I get the impression he just needs to be left alone to play and he'll do fine. Even if that means he's spending too many nights at the pub or whatever. He hasn't missed a game through injury (or anything else) as far as I know and has been a pretty damn good overseas pro. I'm sure Essex will want him back. It's a shame he's unlikely to ever fit with the way NZC want things done.
You mean it's a shame he's never going to hold himself to the basic standards of professionalism? I suppose it is, but I don't see how that's in any way the NZC's fault.

Anyway, Hesson (or one of the other higher-ups in the NZC) said that certain behavioural expectations had been set out for Doug and Jesse after the incident the morning before the Eden Park test - Doug more or less met those requirements, but Jesse just took the piss.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

I'm all for the attitude towards judging a player by his output rather than his extra-curricular activities, but that's not how the employer sees it. Given Jess knows what's expected of him, it's up to him to maintain professionalism to the standards that the employer expects.

I might think it's fine for me to be on facebook at work so long as I get **** done, but if my employer expects that I don't touch FB whether it effects my productivity or not, part of my professionalism is to respect their wishes.

If I can't make that sacrifice then I can **** off.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
You mean it's a shame he's never going to hold himself to the basic standards of professionalism? I suppose it is, but I don't see how that's in any way the NZC's fault.

Anyway, Hesson (or one of the other higher-ups in the NZC) said that certain behavioural expectations had been set out for Doug and Jesse after the incident the morning before the Eden Park test - Doug more or less met those requirements, but Jesse just took the piss.
No, I mean it's a shame he's burned so many bridges that for him to get back in the national team he'd have to be a model citizen. Whereas for Essex he's had something of a clean slate I'd imagine. Likewise with Otago, actually. From everything I've heard he had a bit more freedom down here and wasn't too heavily restricted, which worked fine. He's already screwed up too many times with NZ to have that same leeway, which is a shame - purely from a fan and team benefit perspective. It's not the fault of NZC at all, it's just a ****ty situation.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Firebirds flying in Aussie hit man Brad Hodge | Stuff.co.nz

Basin Reserve wicket to be test for Jeetan Patel | Stuff.co.nz

Wellington won't doctor the Basin Reserve, although they're sorely tempted.

The reason is Jeetan Patel. There has hardly been a spinner to touch him in English county cricket for years now.

The 34-year-old has been a prolific wicket-taker for Warwickshire again this summer, taking 55 first-class wickets, at an average of 26.12, to go with some startlingly good figures in the white ball stuff.

In one-day matches the offspinner's snared 23 scalps at 17.00, with an economy rate of 4.34, while in Twenty20 the figures read 25 wickets at 12.96 and an economy rate of 6.11.

None of which has escaped Wellington coach Jamie Siddons' attention. Patel has bowled steadily for the Firebirds during Siddons' tenure, but without great success.

In the last Plunket Shield season he took just 18 wickets at 47.33, which is fairly typical of the trouble he's had getting guys out. Partly it's because pitches don't turn.

Siddons knows Patel's a match-winner in the right conditions, so it's about either trying to create those or adapt the way he bowls.

"We're having massive discussions about what to try here," Siddons said.

"The only way to try and make it spin [at the Basin Reserve] is to make the wicket wet at the start of the game to get the footmarks. It's really difficult, we can't make the soil composition do what we want it to do.

"And the risk is you try to make that type of wicket for one person, forgetting your other four or five bowlers. If you still can't take 20 wickets, then you've just shot yourself in the foot.

"We're probably going to have to work on his tactics and, I guess, bowling more rubbish to get more wickets, if you know what I mean. Just bowling a little bit differently rather than the perfect offspinner all the time, because that doesn't seem to work here.

"He always seems to bowl good balls, but they don't necessarily get wickets here. But if he's in our team we have to find a way to get him more wickets and make him more of a contributor."

The conundrum was further rammed home to Siddons earlier this week, when he watched Patel take 4-25 for Warwickshire in their three-wicket loss to Durham in the English county one-day final.

"Every wicket he plays on turns and they are raving about him over there and they can't understand how he's not [New Zealand's] number one spinner. It's quite weird and we've got to find a way."

Siddons, Patel's mentor Jason Wells and Patel have all been in contact recently in a bid to replicate his English numbers here. They're still working on it.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I also see that Jesse has signed a 2 year contract with Essex. Good for him, I don't want him playing for New Zealand again but I do hope that he can at least set himself up financially for life after cricket. Though I'm a bit surprised he's not keeping his options open - a strong performance in the BBL could easily have seen him picking up a juicy IPL contract next year.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah heading the same way as Michael Campbell and European Tour golf did I think. "I quite like being a big fish in a small pond, being on a more sociable tour".

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah. You forfeit that protection if you play a reverse sweep IMO.
Couldn't possibly agree more...but if looking at it in black and white, you can't be out playing a shot & hit outside either stump, no matter which way around you're facing up. So whilst I am happy with the umpire's work, he's not doing his job correctly.

Incidentally, English umpires HATE sweeping, reverse sweeping or anything that defecates on the MCC Coaching Manual. My first piece of advice to UK club-bound batsmen, after always wear a lid (off-field suggestion) is if you're going to sweep, make sure you hit it.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah he didn't attract a single bid, the week after the Bracewell incident.

But of course there was no way he was playing that Test match. His flight was clearly booked for the next day.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
NZC wouldn't want to just let flight tickets expire. Imagine if your parents spent $179 on some nice food, and then decided to make you exercise instead. It's just not plausible. :p

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Wrong thread probably and apologies in advance...

But it's not actually called the Georgie Pie Super Smash? Really? Surely?