Cricket Player Manager
Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Like Tree198Likes

Thread: New Zealand Off Season 2014

State Captain
    Before I start, for everyone keeping score at home - that's another Howick Pak Black Cap (hate that term but it works here).

However..that's a really underwhelming squad. No Gillespie, Fulton somehow survives, Ronchi somehow gets a go as a back-up back-up (our management understands long-distance travel is very much achievable these days, yes?) Jeets gets another lifeline and decides he doesn''t want it so we pick the 'next best' guy who spins it away from LHs, even though he's raw as hell and has played very little FC cricket really. So we have two spin options, both still very much learning their trade. I love both blokes but Craig/Sodhi v Narine/Shillingford? Ow.

Tastle may well take up hockey where there's guaranteed to be no lefties.

@John_Day
    He backed away from the bowlers in South Africa, now he's backing out of playing for his country. Hard to respect Jeetan Patel's decision.

Farmboyraver ‏@AndyMuir22
    @John_Day_ He has always been over rated ****. Even the Phantom faced up to the quickies. This guy is just pure gutless personified
    "Farmboy raver". Yeah the agribusiness community have always wanted to bury Jeets. A real 'gravedigger Bracewell vs. Andre Adams' sort of antipathy.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Supercilious Solipsist View Post
    Never go full kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . AGRIBUSINESS MONITORING . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

State Vice-Captain BackFootPunch's Avatar
    Personally delighted for Mark Craig. The bloke has some serious ability. Seems to lift his game the higher the level he plays at too.
    hendrix likes this.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Before I start, for everyone keeping score at home - that's another Howick Pak Black Cap (hate that term but it works here).

However..that's a really underwhelming squad. No Gillespie, Fulton somehow survives, Ronchi somehow gets a go as a back-up back-up (our management understands long-distance travel is very much achievable these days, yes?) Jeets gets another lifeline and decides he doesn''t want it so we pick the 'next best' guy who spins it away from LHs, even though he's raw as hell and has played very little FC cricket really. So we have two spin options, both still very much learning their trade. I love both blokes but Craig/Sodhi v Narine/Shillingford? Ow.

Tastle may well take up hockey where there's guaranteed to be no lefties.
    I understand your point, but by that reasoning, we shouldn't ever bother picking more than 12 players to tour anywhere. Yes, you can fly a player over at 24 hours notice, but especially when it comes to somewhere on the other side of the planet they're probably not going to be in great shape for at least the first few days after arriving. It's clearly intended that Latham will play as an opener. You can't realistically expect him to keep wicket if he's opening the batting.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 14-04-2014 at 08:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    I understand your point, but by that reasoning, we shouldn't ever bother picking more than 12 players to tour anywhere. Yes, you can fly a player over at 24 hours notice, but especially when it comes to somewhere on the other side of the planet they're probably not going to be in great shape for at least the first few days after arriving. It's clearly intended that Latham will play as an opener. You can't realistically expect him to keep wicket if he's opening the batting.
    Fair point actually, poor squad analysis by myself.

I thought that above tweet was from Jason Day originally. It's hard to criticise too much without knowing circumstances, I don't imagine Jeetan turned down his country without a lot of hard thought about it. I shouldn't imagine it was a purely financial call, either.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    While this is true, partly as a result of providing wicket-keeping cover against the unlikely event that Watling injures himself in the 48 hours prior to a test, we are eschewing fast-bowling cover - a far far greater risk.

Personally I could accept the low risk of a last-minute Watling injury and the not-ideal solution of scrambling Latham into the role, with Fulton/Rutherford coming in to cover him as opener. Or, just don't waste a spot on Fulton/Rutherford and send Ronchi as batting reserve (they're clearly thinking of him as there-or-there-abouts as next best middle-order batting option, and as much as it's galling to admit it he probably is). Instead we have both solutions and only Neesham as fast-bowling reserve.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    I suspect that the reason why they're eschewing fast bowling cover is because they (ridiculously) believe that a 2-seamer 2-spinner bowling attack is the best way to go, with Wagner left in reserve. So by the selector's thinking, they already have a spare seamer.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 14-04-2014 at 09:28 PM.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    I'm going to put that insane thought in a box over *there* for a while and hope that there is no need to revisit it, as there could be an explosion.

Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    While this is true, partly as a result of providing wicket-keeping cover against the unlikely event that Watling injures himself in the 48 hours prior to a test, we are eschewing fast-bowling cover - a far far greater risk.
    +1.

If Southee or Boult is injured, do we really want Neesham opening the bowling? Even if they want to play 2 spinners, it's ridiculous to include 2 backup batsmen and no backup fast bowlers.

Mark Craig's selection doesn't bug me.

U19 Debutant
    I suspect that the reason why they're eschewing fast bowling cover is because they (ridiculously) believe that a 2-seamer 2-spinner bowling attack is the best way to go, with Wagner left in reserve. So by the selector's thinking, they already have a spare seamer.
    Not that I want to see them playing two spinners (one and KW is enough to support our pacemen), but if they do I wonder how close Neesham is to taking Anderson's spot (tough on Anderson I know). If they go down the two spinner route I'd be tempted to go Watling 6, Neesham 7, spinner 1, spinner 2, Southee, Boult

Nah he makes a pretty highlights package Neesham, but so does my boy Weerasundara. JimmyGS needed it to be roading hard for that Basin ton, otherwise he typically has a heart-in-the-mouth moment every ten balls or so, in my viewing of him.

You can find Mark Craig in that ftr, if you're not a domestic threader and have never seen him -

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Nah he makes a pretty highlights package Neesham, but so does my boy Weerasundara. JimmyGS needed it to be roading hard for that Basin ton, otherwise he typically has a heart-in-the-mouth moment every ten balls or so, in my viewing of him.
    Heh, just imagining if Hesson pulled a Graham Henry/Hansen type bolter (eg Isaia Toeava) and plucked Weerasundara or O'Donnell straight from the Under 19's

I think Anderson will retain his spot. His bowling was particularly effective against the Windies, albeit in NZ conditions. Plus he didn't really do too much wrong with the bat. IIRC he was a bit unfortunate to be given LBW for 77 in the first India test.
    Last edited by jcas0167; 15-04-2014 at 12:21 AM.

Well, Rachin Ravindra will certainly have put as many hours as most 25-year-olds, by the time he's Hasan Raza-ing it for the Black Caps.

They didn't actually bother collecting any vault videos at all of that latest U19 side, so I guess there probably won't be too many domestic contracts for any of them in June itbt.
    Last edited by Kippax; 15-04-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Ronchi was picked as a back up keeper and reserve middle order bat.

Phlegm to taste it.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread Information