• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Off Season 2014

Howsie

International Captain
New Zealand cricket has the ability to hand out citizenship? Calling bull**** on that story.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
New Zealand cricket has the ability to hand out citizenship? Calling bull**** on that story.
Haha wouldn't be surprised if they could pull some strings tbh.

He'd need to go through the four year qualification period as per ICC rules regardless so I'd be more inclined to question the story on the basis that NZC wouldn't be that interested in having a thirty year old Sri Lankan seamer on the books anyway...

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair to say Wagner probably wouldn't have known which island Dunedin was on, until Hesson and the Volts came knocking. As they plan for less use of Neesham, could've been quite handy.

Work and live in NZ permanently

- have a job offer from an accredited employer, or
- have exceptional talent in sports or the arts.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
http://zeenews.india.com/sports/cri...for-australia-new-zealand-series_1461942.html

"Last year the PCB had earned a handsome amount close to USD 9 million from sale of television rights by selling the series against South Africa and Sri Lanka separately to two different broadcasters," the source added.

"But this time the PCB has been forced to sell the Australia and New Zealand series in a bundle because the value of the New Zealand team among the broadcasters is very low, lower than even the Sri Lankan team," the source said.

He pointed out that while the PCB had got offers for the series against Australia, the same level of interest was not witnessed for the New Zealand rubber.

"The worst part for the PCB is that under the old FTP of the ICC they have to play three Tests against New Zealand
Haha, brutal.

Flem274*

123/5
Going to be all the sweeter when Southee and Boult toy with them.

And what the **** at that Perera story. God, why not head hunt someone good?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Agribusiness isn't about having your head in the clouds tbf. Otago badly needs to start restocking on the slogrounder front, if they don't want to revert towards a pre-McCullum and pre-Hesson irrelevance. That's presumably why they've got Dimitri Mascarenhas as coach.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Sounds to me like a pick-me-or I'm-off threat to put pressure on SL circles- with a fake national offer.

I'm quite sure he would have gotten an HRV offer though, but even doubt the full provincial offer - knowing the BBL would make that pointless.

Story is smudged and expanded ..... For someone's purposes.

I guess Wagner and Ronchi makes the fake offer stuff sound plausible to outsiders

A Trego, Croft , Napier is the sort of all rounder an NZ province are attracted to for full off-season contracts. Not quite good enough for other leagues or international honours.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm still worried about our top order vs genuine fastbowlers. Kane's getting awesome against spin and middle overs type stuff but I'm not sure about him and then lesser batsmen up against a fired up Roach, Steyn, Johnson, Morkel, Broad etc.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Someone should forward this video to Hesson to keep in mind when he's choosing the squad for next year's tour of England.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah surely Jeets only becomes threatening on the English clays later in the English season, Bahnz. May is like November in New Zealand, right, right? We'll play Guptill, Brownlie and Doug Bracewell again. :p

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Wonder if he'd go to the UAE in November with NZA.

He may prefer that to the HRV, because if he was to win Wellington the HRV, it'd be awkward for his beloved Bears.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Williamson contemplates bowling left-handed | Stuff.co.nz

New Zealand cricketer Kane Williamson is reportedly switching arms to try to overcome his bowling ban.

Williamson, a part-time offspinner, was banned from bowling in international or domestic cricket from July because of an illegal action.

Now it seems he has taken to trying to bowl with his left arm, tinkering with the remarkable switch in training.

Williamson is currently in India leading the Northern Knights' charge at the Champions League Twenty20 tournament.

Williamson told Radio Sport today that he had been practicing in the nets.

"You know, I'll certainly be trying as much as I can," Williamson said of overcoming his ban, invoked because his elbow extension when bowling exceeded the 15 degrees allowed under ICC rules.

"Whether that's trying to do it with the other arm, that would be an interesting process but I'll certainly be giving it a crack."

Williamson's bat has been blazing in India where the Knights worked their way through qualifying and into the main draw.

They are now on an unbeaten run of four matches and face Hobart in Raipur on Wednesday morning (NZ time).

Williamson has scored a century and two half centuries. His unbeaten 101 off just 49 balls came in the Knights' latest win over South Africa's King Cobras.