Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Like Tree198Likes

Thread: New Zealand Off Season 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Neesham?
    Yeah, his bowling could definitely benefit from the extra work he'd get on that tour. Ideally, I'd like to see him get a county contract at some stage.

Gillespie sounds pretty confident that he'll make the black caps test squad.

West Indies tour tops list for Mark Gillespie | Stuff.co.nz

Gillespie's 42 wickets were the most by any bowler in this summer's Plunket Shield.

"I don't feel there's any more I could've done so, to be honest, if I'm not involved in this tour I'll be pretty peeved off," Gillespie said.

He feels he can't be far away, having been placed on standby by the selectors for New Zealand's test against India at the Basin Reserve in February.
    I suppose he was the most consistent bowler across the whole season, but he didn't exactly set the competition alight. I'm not against him going on tour at all, and he certainly should be in the squad ahead of the likes of Bracewell etc. But I also wouldn't have a problem with them trying out Matt Henry. Assuming Neesham also makes the test squad, it's a bit of a battle for him considering that Hesson is pretty intent on at least touring with 2 spinners.

The test team is:

Latham
    Rutherford/Fulton/Raval/Papps/anyone really
    Williamson
    Taylor
    McCullum
    Anderson
    Watling
    Sodhi
    Southee
    Wagner
    Boult

and then how many more for the squad?
    Neesham
    Jeets/Tastle/Bartin
    Munro? Papps? Brownlie?
    Henry? Gillespie?

It's an interesting call.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    did gillespie even average under 30?

the selectors will do as they always have. if he's bowling at his best he's the 3rd best quick we have. if he's not he's a liability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    did gillespie even average under 30?

the selectors will do as they always have. if he's bowling at his best he's the 3rd best quick we have. if he's not he's a liability.
    Averaged 33.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    and then how many more for the squad?
    Neesham
    Henry
    Brownlie/anotherBatsmanMaybeOneThat'sNotAsTerribleVsSpinEve nThoIdoStillLikeBrownlie
    Jeets/Tastle/Gillespie

Gillespie competing directly against second spinner imo

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Neesham
    Henry
    Brownlie/anotherBatsmanMaybeOneThat'sNotAsTerribleVsSpinEve nThoIdoStillLikeBrownlie
    Jeets/Tastle/Gillespie

A possibility, given Kane offers an away from the bat option and the next best pick, Tastle, would mean two front-line leg-spinners.

I'd be taking Gillespie.

I think Gillespie is ahead of Henry given that he's bowled a full season. It's pretty marginal though.

God I want them to pick Jeets so bad even though his numbers weren't very good.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Revolving
    Door
    Wiliamson
    Taylor
    McCullum
    Anderson
    Watling
    Sodhi
    Southee
    Wagner
    Boult

Brownlie
    Hay/Guptill (real world option: some meh batsman)
    Henry
    Neesham

on helpful surfaces against test batsmen there will be very little difference between KW and our legions of meh spinners. KW and Sodhi provides two spin bowling options without compromising our batting or our proper bowling.

You just know we're going to rock up to the first test with Southee, Boult, Anderson and two bakeries though.

Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    A possibility, given Kane offers an away from the bat option and the next best pick, Tastle, would mean two front-line leg-spinners.
    They picked 2 mediocre spinners for the Bangladesh tour, and actually played them. They're almost certain to pick a second spinner here. At the very least, they'll want cover if Sodhi is injured.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    on helpful surfaces against test batsmen there will be very little difference between KW and our legions of meh spinners. KW and Sodhi provides two spin bowling options without compromising our batting or our proper bowling.

You just know we're going to rock up to the first test with Southee, Boult, Anderson and two bakeries though.
    Agreed, and then disagreed. I don't think we'll play two spinners plus Williamson. Wasn't Hesson at the forefront of a 'pick a side for them, not for us' scenario at the 2012 World T20 where we shuffled left handers and right handers all over the shop? By that token, Tastle might not get a look-in.

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Jeets and Tastle would be sooo good.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    They picked 2 mediocre spinners for the Bangladesh tour, and actually played them. They're almost certain to pick a second spinner here. At the very least, they'll want cover if Sodhi is injured.
    I'm certain they'll take two spinners, whether or not they play them I guess is debatable. If Tastle was taking his wickets bowling off-spin, no doubt he'd play. But I can see the powers-that-be decided two leggies are surplus to requirements. At least Bucko and Ish bowled with different arms and created different angles.

Yeah, so it really is Henry vs Gillespie, unless they decide not to take Neesham, which is almost impossible to do after his debut.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    If Tastle was taking his wickets bowling off-spin, no doubt he'd play. But I can see the powers-that-be decided two leggies are surplus to requirements. At least Bucko and Ish bowled with different arms and created different angles.
    You're probably right, but then again if New Zealand don't intend to ever play two spinners (which, after the debacle in Bangladesh, you would have to consider to be fairly likely) then what does it matter if Tastle and Ish are both leggies? One merely serves as a replacement for the other. I think the factor more likely to sway things in Jeets' favour is that he'll have had a lot of competitive first class cricket going into the tour, whereas Astle will have been sitting on his arse for last couple of months.

I suppose it's possible that with Southee and Boult headlining the attack the selectors will be less reticent about gambling on two spinners, but I would still consider it to be a pretty big mistake, especially given that Wagner is probably a better option with the old ball than any spinner in the country. Gillespie is definitely ahead of Henry, especially given his strong late season form in both the PS and the one dayers.

Latham, Ruthurghford, KW, Taylor, McCullum, Anderson, Watling, Sodhi, Southee, Wagner, Boult
    Gillespie, Jeets, Neesham, ?

Obviously the last spot should be going to a certain not-so-loveable fat-ass, but with him out of the picture, the last spot could really go to anyone. Though I have the sinking feeling that it will probably go to Guptill.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread Information