• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Off Season 2014

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Video | ECB Video

Butler and Hall accused of "having little thrust". PEWS to rage.

Northants should've hired Milne from Frinton-on-Sea or wherever. At least buy a guy who'll bruise a few ****s on the way down.
Creepiest thing is about this post, which mentions both me and Frinton-on-Sea, is that I was talking to someone in Frinton-on-Sea while I read it. Given it only has a population of 5k or so, that's one massive coincidence.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Stuff, sort of the Northern Districts of cricket media. In which case, they'll be enjoying the cheeky cashie jobs he's offered Essex with the ball so far. He looks better than some of those Div 2 seamers.

Oh, they've even stolen a short video from EssexTV there, and fobbed it off to Stuff readers like it was their own. Very Northern Districts.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Creepiest thing is about this post, which mentions both me and Frinton-on-Sea, is that I was talking to someone in Frinton-on-Sea while I read it. Given it only has a population of 5k or so, that's one massive coincidence.
Can't be true. Frinton is a town populated solely by the elderly. Not an under-age person from the whole place.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Top 10 Test Bowlers
ID Rat. Name Nat.
1 898 D.W. Steyn SA
2 870 R.J. Harris AUS
3 865 V.D. Philander SA
4 844 M.G. Johnson AUS
5 787 Saeed Ajmal PAK
6 774 H.M.R.K.B. Herath SL
7 767 Trenteh A. Boulteh NZ
8 757 Timmeh G. Southeh NZ
9 744 R. Ashwin IND
10 733 P.M. Siddle AUS
Top 100
:cool:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Narine five places below JP Duminy in 53rd place, eh. Where will he be a month from now?

25th - Kippax

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Think the six above Southee and Boult are fairly clearly the best six bowlers in the world at the moment though a few of them are coming towards the end of their careers.

R Ashwin being 9th a pretty good indication that the rankings don't give enough weight to differences in performance away vs home.

Narine - 40th.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Herath and Ajmal aren't far away. If England neuters Herath they could quite feasibly climb above them.

The remaining 4 are pretty far away but it's not out of the realms of possibility for them to be 3-4 in a year or two. Harris may be retired by then.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
You have to consider that Ajmal's pts ranking will go screaming up when he gets a go against our guys, so I tend to doubt that any improvement in the rankings will last for long.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nottinghamshire v Worcestershire, T20 Blast, North Division, Trent Bridge Report : Spin strangles Nottinghamshire | Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

The seventh over changed the picture somewhat as Colin Munro, unable to get going against the seamers, went after Samit Patel's left-arm spin to sudden profit, hitting three sixes in the over, the first from a reverse sweep, the third parried back into play by Wessels, from behind the rope, to no avail.

Munro did not have many more opportunities but Patel did not appear again and the New Zealander came unstuck against the junior spinner, Sam Wood, after getting little change from Fletcher and Steven Mullaney, top-edging another attempted reverse sweep, which flew over Chris Read's head and was well caught by Carter, running around from backward square leg.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Jesse Ryder has taken a swipe at the New Zealand media, reflected on match fixing and insists he no longer gets s***-faced, reports the Sunday Times.

New Zealand cricket's bad boy Jesse Ryder says he no longer has time for the media in New Zealand after their "unfair" coverage of his latest drinking escapades.

"That last incident blew up pretty badly and I don't really have time for the media back home any more," Ryder told the Sunday Times in an interviewed published today.

"Back home, it's such a small place the media love to make a lot of it," he said.

Ryder, who has signed to play for county cricket club Essex in England, told the Times "getting out of New Zealand and being over here will do me wonders".

He intended to eat healthily and work hard in England, saying he had only had three beers since arriving, the newspaper reported.

"I'm just trying to do the best I can for these boys, so I'll stay off it as much as possible. I might have the odd beer with dinner, or a team beer, but I'm not looking to be going out and getting s***-faced."

Ryder told the Sunday Times he was not thinking about resuming his international career.
Wild Ryder | The Sunday Times (subscribers only)

Probably more bowling for Ryder tonight.

The Essex squad has been decimated by England call-ups and injuries while the visitors too have been rocked by news of an injury to Graeme Smith, their overseas player and captain.

Smith has returned home to South Africa and will be replaced by fellow international colleague Hashim Amla who spent a brief time with Essex back in 2009.

Essex are without pacemen, Saj Mahmood, Tymal Mills, David Masters, Graham Napier, and Reece Topley while on-loan Oliver Newby has returned to Lancashire after suffering a hamstring problem in the match with Worcestershire.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It sure sounds like the man is an alcoholic.
I hope he is not sent home in disgrace.

btw I don't drink a beer with my evening meal. The calories alone in a beer make it unwise to have every day