• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Off Season 2014

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Seddon Park has typically been pretty good for the spinners, especially this latest season - though the curator got plenty of scorn from the players and the public for producing pitches that suited the opposition, so I'm not sure if that'll necessarily stay the same going forward. McLean park also started to shake off its automatic-draw reputation, and produced a couple of good spinning pitches. If those two can push ahead, then our players would be exposed to a decent amount of turn next season.

McCullum tends to come down the wicket against the spinners fairly frequently, though he isn't as judicious about it as Williamson is. Taylor is bad about it though. Of all the top quality batsmen in the world today, Taylor is probably the most reticent to charge the spinners. The fact that he's still a pretty good player of spin says wonders about his footwork, his technique and his hand-eye coordination.
Thanks for that post lets hope those two grounds are consistent this year as per last year.

I don't have memories of baz really using his feet except if he wanted to go all the way for a six but perhaps I am wrong. Everyone should be batting like KW does against spin even at club level. Push the fielders back to the ropes then use the full depth of the crease to get right back and read the spin off the pitch (which will make them start tossing them up further) and then start chipping down the wicket.

Overseas (non new zealand) spinners don't bowl any pies period. And that goes down to club level. You will be waiting a long time to score runs if you sit in your crease.

In high school cricket there is no need to use your feet to spin - as you get free gifts every over - while medium paced bowling is at quite an advanced level by the time you are 16.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Seddon Park has typically been pretty good for the spinners, especially this latest season - though the curator got plenty of scorn from the players and the public for producing pitches that suited the opposition, so I'm not sure if that'll necessarily stay the same going forward.
Half of Seddon Park's square will be Patumahoe next season iirc, Eden Park's clay.

Shots off both feet, bad for Bangladesh, no Watling required, etc.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Ryder can be seen in a T20 at 11pm ftr.

There's his Middlesex oppo -

Eoin Morgan (Captain)
Dan Christian
Joe Denly
Neil Dexter
Steven Finn
James Harris
Dawid Malan
Ravi Patel
Harry Podmore
Ollie Rayner
Toby Roland-Jones
Adam Rossington
Gurjit Sandhu
John Simpson
Paul Stirling
Essex squad to face Middlesex Panthers at Lord's:

Alastair Cook (26)

Mark Pettini (24)

Ravi Bopara (25)

Greg Smith (83)

Ben Foakes (4)

James Foster (7)

Tom Westley (21)

Jesse Ryder (76)

Monty Panesar (77)

Matt Salisbury (18)

Graham Napier (17)

Oliver Newby (-)

Reece Topley (6)

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Essex bowling first.

If you want to see Ryder's batting it'll be at about 12.30 now. SS4 in New Zealand doing it I see.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Worcestershire v Essex - Day 1

Those Worcs opening bowlers at the end of the video aren't looking too good. Could be up to Ajmal to test Ryder.

Ian Butler on 27* down at 9, right in Northants' engine room. Maybe Dan's right, I need to respect Plunket cricket more.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Worcestershire v Essex - Day 1

Those Worcs opening bowlers at the end of the video aren't looking too good. Could be up to Ajmal to test Ryder.

Ian Butler on 27* down at 9, right in Northants' engine room. Maybe Dan's right, I need to respect Plunket cricket more.
I would say that second division county cricket is on par or slightly weaker than the PS. Hamish Marshall has been averaging 50 there for years after spending the better part of a decade struggling to break 30 for ND.

Flem274*

123/5
I reckon there might just be a dilution in what runs and wickets mean because there are so many teams. you can average 50 and be a genuine test player or you can average 50 and bat like marshall.

we have it a bit as well, but in a different way (the lower you bat, the easier batting is) hence munro's fc domination isn't as respectable as what papps and latham did last season.

Flem274*

123/5
what were the reserves? unwanted opener, neesham, ronchi, fast bowler?

stupid call regardless. back up keeper only.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I would say that second division county cricket is on par or slightly weaker than the PS. Hamish Marshall has been averaging 50 there for years after spending the better part of a decade struggling to break 30 for ND.
As a gloucestershire fan I can tell you that Marshall has been no where near averaging 50 every season even without looking at the stats but here they are for you. The Home of CricketArchive

Last season and his first season are the two occasion he's averaged 50 and career average of 38.5 for Glos. The Home of CricketArchive

But yes the standard in the second division isn't great. Almost certainly worse than your domestic game. Some good players but the schedule is so mad that teams without strength in depth (which is the second division teams) struggle to keep their first choice team on the field and the backup players tend to be not upto standard.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Video | ECB Video

Butler and Hall accused of "having little thrust". PEWS to rage.

Northants should've hired Milne from Frinton-on-Sea or wherever. At least buy a guy who'll bruise a few ****s on the way down.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Is Milne playing in a grade where 140kph bouncers and yorkers ad nauseum will earn him truckloads of cheap wickets?