• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Off Season 2014

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Not in Wellington, obvs. **** watching cricket in that soulless cake tin masquerading as a multi-purpose stadium.
Hi Heef in Dan's body.

It is fine watching ODIs there, you drink beer, you can move around because it isn't assigned seating. Every seat has a good view. It is close to transit.

Only superior ground for watching an ODI (that is big enough to host the crowd for one) I can think of would be Seddon park with its grass embankment. Eden Park wouldn't be any better.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Kane scoring runs against Jeets was very predictable.

What will be interesting will be seeing if Williamson takes any wickets on this pitch.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Jon Culley at Headingley said:
Afterwards he made 61 before being bowled attempting to drive Chris Woakes expansively, having batted until then with necessary application, emerging with credit from a testing spell against the off-spinner, Jeetan Patel, who has enough craft to ask questions even when there is little in the pitch for him.
They do really rate Jeets over there.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yorkshire v Warwickshire Day 1

Yeah there's that black left-armer Keith Barker, getting so far into the danger zone he's on the other side of the stumps at times. Jeets had credited a lot of his success to Barker's creation of rough, and his high tolerance for umpire wrath.

Also check out that drift to almost get the charging Robson caught at slip. I wonder how NZC's getting on with that Doull rumour of a ball change next season -
Warwickshire v Middlesex Day 3, LV= County Championship - YouTube

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yorkshire v Warwickshire Day 1

Yeah there's that black left-armer Keith Barker, getting so far into the danger zone he's on the other side of the stumps at times. Jeets had credited a lot of his success to Barker's creation of rough, and his high tolerance for umpire wrath.

Also check out that drift to almost get the charging Robson caught at slip. I wonder how NZC's getting on with that Doull rumour of a ball change next season -
Warwickshire v Middlesex Day 3, LV= County Championship - YouTube
I don't understand what is going on - his action makes him look like the best spinner in the world in those highlights (his loop and flight are a delight) yet he didn't put up numbers here except for some list A stuff.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Kiwis Are Coming to Town!

Northants have signed Kiwi pacemen Ian Butler and Neil Wagner to bolster the County's strikeforce this summer.

Ian Butler joins the club with immediate effect and will be available in both forms of the game until late July. Butler has experience in the County game with both Gloucestershire and Nottinghamshire. Ian is a right arm Fast Medium Bowler and has played both Test Match and One-Day cricket for New Zealand.

Neil Wagner will join the club for the final five LV= County Championship matches of the season. Wagner is a Left Arm Medium Fast Bowler and has an excellent reputation and record in both domestic and International cricket. He will join us after the New Zealand Tour to the West Indies.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Radio comms really rating Williamson's spin, in their hourly wrap. Bell dropped at slip and in close off KW.

He'll be getting into Barker's footmarks all night rather than Jeets ftr. Warwickshire about to follow on.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Why Patel gets a better re-turn with Bears | Stuff.co.nz

"We've got a left-arm bowler, Keith Barker, whose footmarks are fantastic for a right-arm spinner and that's the dead set truth," Patel said.

"He lands exactly where I want to land the ball and he's very good at manipulating the umpires. He really does encroach on the danger zone, but that certainly helps."

But the fundamental difference from here and there is turn. That enables Patel to go from being the defensive bowler he's often had to be for Wellington, to an attacking one that Warwickshire expect to lead them to wins and trophies.

Whether the wickets are under or over-prepared, they turn. Wet or dry, they turn.

Here the wickets can do a little for the quicks, otherwise they start true and stay true, leaving drift and bounce as the only weapons in a spinner's arsenal.

"Batters here don't get tested on spinning wickets and when teams go away they certainly find out pretty quick that they haven't been tested. They tend to have one or two options against spin and, as soon as they're taken away from them, it's 'well, what do I do next?"'

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Great stuff Kippax!

Yeah it makes you question what sort of pitches we prepare in New Zealand. I remember Andy Ellis, and KNB cleaning up (in the odd match) in recent seasons with their nonsense bowling.

maybe we should make more pitches that spin?

No NZ batsman I have seen except KW use their feet against spin. They just stand in the crease and wait for a pie.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah it makes you question what sort of pitches we prepare in New Zealand. I remember Andy Ellis, and KNB cleaning up (in the odd match) in recent seasons with their nonsense bowling.

maybe we should make more pitches that spin?

No NZ batsman I have seen except KW use their feet against spin. They just stand in the crease and wait for a pie.
Seddon Park has typically been pretty good for the spinners, especially this latest season - though the curator got plenty of scorn from the players and the public for producing pitches that suited the opposition, so I'm not sure if that'll necessarily stay the same going forward. McLean park also started to shake off its automatic-draw reputation, and produced a couple of good spinning pitches. If those two can push ahead, then our players would be exposed to a decent amount of turn next season.

McCullum tends to come down the wicket against the spinners fairly frequently, though he isn't as judicious about it as Williamson is. Taylor is bad about it though. Of all the top quality batsmen in the world today, Taylor is probably the most reticent to charge the spinners. The fact that he's still a pretty good player of spin says wonders about his footwork, his technique and his hand-eye coordination.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Baz only comes down the wicket when he's trying to hit a boundary. Williamson has clearly taken notes from Clarke's book in that he comes down the wicket even if he's looking to defend.