Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Does a ''real'' cricket fan have to hate LOI and/or consider them irrelevant?

U19 Cricketer

Does a ''real'' cricket fan have to hate LOI and/or consider them irrelevant?

Cricketweb probably has more test cricket fans than most other forums put together and that is a good thing. I am a test cricket fan myself and I appreciate it is the true test of a player's skill. However, does it make me any less of a fan if say, Australia's WC win in 1999 gave me more happiness than some random test series win? Indeed with the increasing popularity of T20 cricket can we turn a blind eye to tournaments such as the World t20? Clearly the players and the fans do care. You could see it in how disappointed FaF was and how pumped up Kohli was. Neutral matches in Bangladesh of all places seem to have attracted more people to the stadium than one of the tests between SA and Aus recently!

I am probably all over the place here; I'm not as good articulating myself as your Burgeys and Shris but I'm basically trying to ask if a) a true cricket fan cannot love all formats or dare I say cannot love another format more than tests and b)can we continue to disregard tournaments such as World t20 in future when clearly it means so much to players and fans alike. Sure, it won't mask say, India's lack of away test wins if they go on to win this current one but surely winning it does count for something?
    Rangana Herath : World's best spinner.
    Pakistan last series win : January 2012
    Pakistan last overseas series win : January 2011

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Watching Test cricket is like making love to a beautiful woman, whereas T20 is more akin to a quick knee trembler round the back of the bike sheds - there's really no comparison, but then if you can't get to see a Test match the T20 is still a better option than just about any other way of passing the time

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quite so.

If flashed fried fois gras isn't on the day's menu a decent burger will more than suffice.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Indeed

i dont think you can compare a world cup to a random odi or odi series. it's the massive saturation that has blunted every cricket fan's limbic response to odi's. taking t20's, i just dont enjoy them much at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
    I am probably all over the place here; I'm not as good articulating myself as your [...] Shris
    Sorry but there have been 3 or 4 replies to this post and nobody has referenced this. Never has a bar been lower
    artvandalay likes this.

State Vice-Captain BackFootPunch's Avatar
    I'd consider myself a fan of all forms of cricket but saturation is the key thing that affects my desire to watch things like T20. I'll make time to keep up with/watch most Tests but half the time I just don't care about T20s. I've not read a single post in the T20WC match threads because I'm honestly not remotely interested in it. Another limited overs World Cup on the subcontinent? No thank you.

I'm a spin bowler myself but this stuff going on at the moment is a terrible watch. It's just the same game over and over.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    One of the best things about LO cricket IMO is the influence it's had on test cricket. The range of shots played in tests now and the increased rate of scoring means there are more results than there used to be, and the effect in the standard of fielding has been enormous.

Since the proliferation of LO cricket, 300 in a day is more or less standard in test cricket, even when less than 90 overs get bowled.

****s me when people bang on a out over rates because those of us old enough to remember can recall days of 3/200 odd off 100 plus overs being pretty regular. Of course, there is still a place for slow scoring rates in test matches, such as when SA batted hard in the third test just recently, or saved the day I Adelaide a couple of years back; but it's the exception rather than the rule these days, and I think that's a good thing.
    adub and grecian like this.

Of course a true cricket fan can love limited overs cricket and there are plenty of them here on CW.

Just my opinion here but I'd say it is a prerequisite for a "real" cricket fan to rate Test cricket as the pinnacle and most important form of the game. After that it really is down to the individual, I personally can't get too worked up over the T20 WC and when it comes to England's current woes I definitely rate our ****e T20 performances akin to an annoying itch whereas losing 5-0 in the Ashes was like someone cutting off my ****ing arms and legs.........but plenty here don't feel the same and I don't consider they are "lesser" fans than myself.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    In answer to the OP; of course not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

There is no such thing as a "real" cricket fan.

You like what you like, and you don't have to justify your reasons for liking them to anyone. Nobody should have the right to call your fandom "real" or otherwise.

I

Quote Originally Posted by KiWiNiNjA View Post
    Nobody should have the right to call your fandom "real" or otherwise.
    Well I live in a free speaking country where I have the right to say whatever the **** I like. And it's my view that someone who thinks the game of cricket is only about smashing 6's and quality bowlers going for 10 rpo is missing the point then I have the right to say so.

Of course they also have the right to tell me to **** off and to mind my own traditionalist business.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Well I live in a free speaking country where I have the right to say whatever the **** I like. And it's my view that someone who thinks the game of cricket is only about smashing 6's and quality bowlers going for 10 rpo is missing the point then I have the right to say so.

Of course they also have the right to tell me to **** off and to mind my own traditionalist business.
    The second paragraph there stops you from going into George Brandis territory. Thankfully. Nobody wants to be in George Brandis territory.

As a whole I do think the notion of a "real" or a "true" fan is pretty problematic. Though that's mainly from godawful twitter users who don't believe you can be a "true" fan of Justin Bieber unless you knew about him in 2002 or something. Let's not get into that same debate with cricket. Not because T20 should be considered an equal to Test cricket, but so we don't become godawful twitter users.

We should all do something productive instead, like writing Trane (Boult/Williamson) fanfic
    hendrix likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
    I am probably all over the place here; I'm not as good articulating myself as your... Shris
    Yeah, look, would put many, many posters before Shri in terms of articulation myself . Look no further than the first couple of posters to reply for example.

Sure, it won't mask say, India's lack of away test wins if they go on to win this current one but surely winning it does count for something?
    Only as much as Sanga's home centuries count

Basically, I think t20/LO cricket provides a different form of entertainment and challenges to the players to test cricket. I think test cricket is probably the least accessible format to new fans, but perhaps the most rewarding to long-time fans like myself. But it's not for everybody, and nor is t20 cricket, and that's cool.

I've always thought test cricket is like Radiohead, and LO cricket is like Coldplay, it's just a matter of what you prefer
    There are two colours in my head

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    I love nz domestic t20s. Good way to spot upcoming talent.
    Although you can get deceived. Ruthers looked amazing in one T20 game I saw and hasn't delivered since.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information