• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Bond - how good?

Marmers49

Cricket Spectator
New Zealand's deadliest weapon since RJ Hadlee. Returning May tour of England. Ripped through Aus with 6/23 in World Cup. One-day average of 19, with 51 wickets in 27 matches (19 in 6 against Aus) and test average of 24 in 10 tests (43 wickets). Ranked third fastest in the word, fastest of 155kph. When he returns, hopefully he will continue to be quick and hurry up those Pommies! How good (and quick) does the world rate him? Not as fast as Akhtar or Lee but more dangerous?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He has bwoled a lot faster than I believe Lee ever will again, but then again I dont belive Bond will ever bowl that fast again. I think that Bond, Gillespie and Lee will all end up at same sort of pace 138-145, with the occassion ball in the 150s,

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think it shows that without Bond the Black Caps bowling attack pretty much lacks any oomph. Ian Butler has pretty much failed in all but a couple of innings, Kyle Mills chucks (? maybe ?) and again is an on off bowler and Vetorri will never have any fun on home pitches the way they are at the moment anyway. Oram has been respectable but is one of those 'fantastic' all-rounders and the only breakthrough bowler we seem to have is Tuffey, as Cairns now couldn't buy a wicket. If Bond were playing at the moment I would doubt the Pakistan batsmen in the top order would be flourishing as they have been.

Marmers49

Cricket Spectator
Couldn't agree more. Without Bond there is no threat in our attack through out and out speed. Tuffey is the no. 1 strike weapon through seam and movement, but with Bond there the Pakistanis would really be tested. Can't wait to see those trademark inswinging yorkers. Anyone see that spell against Aust in the World Cup?

Marmers49

Cricket Spectator
Who is he underrated by? The Aussies? NO! Tell me... i've never heard a commentator say a bad thing about him... or indicate they don't really rate him..

Marmers49

Cricket Spectator
Lee just came back from an injury and he is maintaining his speed in the 150's... But he was dropped recently you argue? Unless Bond restarts his career as an offspinner, the selectors will never drop him...

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
Spell vs Aus was so damn good I nearly cried (saved that however for McCullums dropped catch of Dravid off Shanos bowling next match:( ) is everybody in agreement that Flem did the right thing by letting him continue his full 10 (I remember him bowling one that if Andy Bichel had put another coat of oil on his bat would have given him 7)?

Marmers49

Cricket Spectator
Well Flem was going for the jugular.. nearly worked.. just ran out of firepower after that and let them milk it round to 200 when they should have been all out for 120... he was on fire though so Flem thought to let him finish them off.. if he took him off they may have got more, we'll never know...

Casual fans know diddly squat about the finer arts of cricket.. (some more than others)... its the commentators and captains of rival teams that mean a great deal if they hold a player in high regard...

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yea but what do you think of Flem bowling Vetorri and Harris you think they let Bichel and Bevan play themselves in?

Marmers49

Cricket Spectator
To Token.. yes that did allow Bichel and Bevan to play themselves in, we simply did not have another Bond to rip through them!

I think Warne is trying to grab at straws... a vague comment if i ever heard one.. try some facts, kinda makes your point sound a bit more a)believable and b)concrete...

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
Just curious but are you one of these fans? And if you are why is he underrated? Being totally biased I can't see how he could be heh heh but please enlighten and let me open my eye (I'm a Cantab-congrat's on the win against Wellington boys, come back to Timaru to play on our belter and pinch another win aye?)