• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Bond - how good?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Shane Warne said:

bond is underated by many

:lol: oh dear! you couldnt win a 1st grade spelling competition in a special needs school
Seeing as how you couldn't spell "underrated" and Marmers49 could, I don't see how you are in any position to judge his spelling ability.

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hey guys/girls/whom ever is involved I think we just need to calm it down a touch and head on over to the official rules of the CricketWeb forum i.e the verbal (written?) barage being handed out rule because this heated conflict is getting t-o-t-a-l-l-y out of hand!:O

Gotta love taking the mick..so the official word is Bond or Astle (sorry for bringing him into a Shane Bond thread) definitely won't be playing against the Saffas?

Marmers49

Cricket Spectator
No worries Token, we know the rules..

At least i do, but Warney.. well... hopefully he's sees it as a bit of fun and games.....

I think Astle is back for the ODI's, fantastic news.. if only Bondy would be back.....

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
Is it alright to discuss his position in the team here or is it best to head off to that other thread where team positions are already under scrutiny?

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I personally rate Bond very highly and would put him in my current World XI.:) Thats my thought.

Marmers49

Cricket Spectator
If you want, we could start a blackcaps thread in pakistan.... what do you think? Are you logging off anytime soon? We could start up tomorrow...

Marmers49

Cricket Spectator
Nice one Mr Ponting! Im glad to see we have a few on the same wave length.. how do you rate him against Lee?

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
Marmers49 said:
If you want, we could start a blackcaps thread in pakistan.... what do you think? Are you logging off anytime soon? We could start up tomorrow...
A Black Caps thread in Pakistan? Not quite sure on what you mean by that?
Not sure when I'm headin' off to bed as long as the posts are interesting I could be here a while. As for Bond vs Lee I think Bond is much more accurate than Lee and although he doesn't bowl as quick as with as much agression as Lee I think his line outside off stump is more consistant than Lees is. It's a pity he was injured very soon after his comeback as his club game was shown on the news and I think he bowled something like 10 overs with 6 maidens which shows quite a deal of consistency for a genuine quick like him. I also think that if the pitches here start offering even less to Vettori than what they are now and Bond was fully fit that a Bond/Tuffey then Butler 1st drop would be a very good combination given our pitches.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Marmers49 said:
Oops... CORRECTION "won"...that's terrible... what school did you went to? Hic... Apologies to all that read it etc..
Just edit your post that contains it...
Don't even need to apologise then.:D

Langeveldt

Soutie
Bond.. Best bowler ive ever seen NZ produce (beating Geoff Allott).. Hopefully he wont have lost any of that pace, cuz he had a bit!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Marmers49 said:
New Zealand's deadliest weapon since RJ Hadlee. Returning May tour of England. Ripped through Aus with 6/23 in World Cup. One-day average of 19, with 51 wickets in 27 matches (19 in 6 against Aus) and test average of 24 in 10 tests (43 wickets). Ranked third fastest in the word, fastest of 155kph. When he returns, hopefully he will continue to be quick and hurry up those Pommies! How good (and quick) does the world rate him? Not as fast as Akhtar or Lee but more dangerous?
If you ask me Bond is overrated.
People seem to take it for granted that he is one of the top Test bowlers in The World.
Let's go through his Test career:
2 Tests against Australia, averaged 96.33 (wow, that's fantastic, ain't it?)
2 against Bangladesh, averaged 13.63 (wow, that's hard, Bangladesh have so many good batsmen, and the series was at home on very, very seam-friendly wickets)
2 against West Indies, averaged 18 (while West Indies have a respectible batting-line-up, they were hardly as good then as they are now)
2 against India, averaged 16.33 (agan, at home on incredibly seam-friendly wickets - Tuffey and Oram did equally sillily well)
2 against Sri Lanka, averaged 38.8 (and that's fantastic, ain't it?)
If you ask me circumstances have conspired in his favour in Test cricket and in the likely event that we prepare some customary no-seam wickets over here next summer and bat well, I can see another poor series. For me the only occasions he's come up against circumstances remotely challenging, he's failed.
In ODIs, naturally, it's a totally different question, and there's no disputing that he's a very, very accurate and extremely good one-day bowler. He also actually seems to swing the while ball.
Yes, he's better than Brett Lee in Tests but that's not exactly difficult, is it? Lee has to be up with the worst Test bowlers of the last 3 years, and that's saying something.

Marmers49

Cricket Spectator
I guess when you say people take it for granted he is one of the top 10 in the world, he has only played 10 tests. That average against Aus was when he played two tests, and was a back up for Nash, Martin and O'Connor... after say 30 tests (hopefully at least that far, staying injury free) then do a check on all his averages for the test playing nations.. if he is as good as we all think he is then his stats will prove it.. and he has got to be one of the top one-day pacemen playing currently (when he gets back)

thierry henry

International Coach
Shane Bond is a 15 minute wonder. He's hardly done anything yet and he's unlikely to do much in the future due to his injuries and age. I don't see him reaching 100 test wickets. Tuffey on the other hand will keep plugging away and go down as one of New Zealand's best bowlers.