Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Your first live match

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar

Your first live match

I think I was 8, possibly 9 – went along to a benefit match at Lytham CC where the club were playing a Lancashire XI – the idea for all the small boys was to get a full set of signatures for the Lancashire side on the scorecard you had to buy to get in. Some of the players were fine, I remember Peter Lever, David Hughes and Farokh Engineer in particular being happy to sign and humour our silly schoolboy questions like "Would you rather play for India or Lancashire Mr Engineer?" Clive Lloyd was slouched in an armchair outside the pavilion looking as miserable as sin, but once you plucked up the courage to ask him to sign he was fine (but no smiles or conversation) – Bumble and Barry Wood played games with us, trying to hide and then coming up with all sorts of reasons not to sign before finally breaking into huge smiles, ruffling your hair and signing. There was just one who was really quite unpleasant, who did actually sign mine because one of the others told him to, but I don’t think he signed many others – he was a second team batsman called Ed Slinger, who never made it as a cricketer, playing just once for Lancashire, but I never forgot his miserable scowling face – our paths never crossed again, much as I hoped they might – he was a solicitor who went on to become a Circuit Judge

As for the cricket that day – no idea, other than that I remember being hugely disappointed that Clive Lloyd didn’t hang around for long in the middle, and neither did Farokh Engineer

Was Hampshire v Pakistan, so must have been in 1992. I was 4 so don't remember a thing.

First match I have any memory of was Hampshire v Young Australia a few years later. Australia got stacks of runs, Hayden, Ponting, Langer, and Gilchrist all in the side.

Mine was the India Vs Pakistan Independence Cup match in Chennai when Anwar hit 194 and Dravid hit 107. Ganguly took Anwar's catch on the boundary near our stand. Slept for some parts of the game despite the suffocating crowd and the **** load of noise.>_>

Guess I was 7 years old at that time.

When I was about 7 years old I think, I went to a one dayer between Aus and India at the MCG during the tri-series with Zim in 2003/04, I have a few fond memories of watching the test matches on TV that summer too
    There are two colours in my head

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Still yet to watch a proper one

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Ashes test at Edgbaston 1985, the day the catch went up off the boot. Little did I realise it would be 20 years till we won them at home again.

Hard to believe an ashes test was played with so few in the ground despite the poor weather that day.

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Was at the Scarborough Festival, can't remember exactly which match but seem to remember the West Indies were touring. Will have to ask my dad

Saw day 2 of the Gloucestershire v the Australians at Bristol in 97 with my Dad and Brother as a 9 year old. Tour Match: Gloucestershire v Australians at Bristol, May 27-29, 1997 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Probably had been to watch glos at cheltenham before but this is the earliest memory of a game. Certainly can remember Walsh steaming in at Cheltenham with Russell keeping. Also have fond memories of Symonds in those two years he played for Gloucestershire. Hit one big six over the stands and the road and landed in the hospital car park.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chasingthedon View Post
    Was at the Scarborough Festival, can't remember exactly which match but seem to remember the West Indies were touring. Will have to ask my dad
    This game I expect

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Old Trafford. July 1998. Aged 12. Kirsten. Kallis. 2.4 per over.

I read. A lot.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Only proper match I've seen was a T20* at Lord's in '09, which was actually the first match played under the new floodlights (the pic I took that night is still up on Lord's wiki).

*I guess you could do say I have yet to watch a proper match.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Mine was the India Vs Pakistan Independence Cup match in Chennai when Anwar hit 194 and Dravid hit 107. Ganguly took Anwar's catch on the boundary near our stand. Slept for some parts of the game despite the suffocating crowd and the **** load of noise.>_>

Guess I was 7 years old at that time.
    Didn't he hurt himself catching Anwar too? What a ****. I was stuck in a small motel in Islamabad at the time with the rest of my family trying to line up all the documents required to come to the US.

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Didn't he hurt himself catching Anwar too? What a ****. I was stuck in a small motel in Islamabad at the time with the rest of my family trying to line up all the documents required to come to the US.
    Yeah hit his head against the turf. Would have been a simple catch if he had followed proper technique and kept his cool. Made it look way more difficult than it actually was.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    Haha, I still remember the posts in the match thread. "Holy ****, he broke the curse" or something along those lines.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information