• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your first live match

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think I was 8, possibly 9 – went along to a benefit match at Lytham CC where the club were playing a Lancashire XI – the idea for all the small boys was to get a full set of signatures for the Lancashire side on the scorecard you had to buy to get in. Some of the players were fine, I remember Peter Lever, David Hughes and Farokh Engineer in particular being happy to sign and humour our silly schoolboy questions like "Would you rather play for India or Lancashire Mr Engineer?" Clive Lloyd was slouched in an armchair outside the pavilion looking as miserable as sin, but once you plucked up the courage to ask him to sign he was fine (but no smiles or conversation) – Bumble and Barry Wood played games with us, trying to hide and then coming up with all sorts of reasons not to sign before finally breaking into huge smiles, ruffling your hair and signing. There was just one who was really quite unpleasant, who did actually sign mine because one of the others told him to, but I don’t think he signed many others – he was a second team batsman called Ed Slinger, who never made it as a cricketer, playing just once for Lancashire, but I never forgot his miserable scowling face – our paths never crossed again, much as I hoped they might – he was a solicitor who went on to become a Circuit Judge

As for the cricket that day – no idea, other than that I remember being hugely disappointed that Clive Lloyd didn’t hang around for long in the middle, and neither did Farokh Engineer

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was Hampshire v Pakistan, so must have been in 1992. I was 4 so don't remember a thing.

First match I have any memory of was Hampshire v Young Australia a few years later. Australia got stacks of runs, Hayden, Ponting, Langer, and Gilchrist all in the side.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Mine was the India Vs Pakistan Independence Cup match in Chennai when Anwar hit 194 and Dravid hit 107. Ganguly took Anwar's catch on the boundary near our stand. Slept for some parts of the game despite the suffocating crowd and the **** load of noise.>_>

Guess I was 7 years old at that time.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
When I was about 7 years old I think, I went to a one dayer between Aus and India at the MCG during the tri-series with Zim in 2003/04, I have a few fond memories of watching the test matches on TV that summer too

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ashes test at Edgbaston 1985, the day the catch went up off the boot. Little did I realise it would be 20 years till we won them at home again.

Hard to believe an ashes test was played with so few in the ground despite the poor weather that day.

chasingthedon

International Regular
Was at the Scarborough Festival, can't remember exactly which match but seem to remember the West Indies were touring. Will have to ask my dad :)

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Saw day 2 of the Gloucestershire v the Australians at Bristol in 97 with my Dad and Brother as a 9 year old. Tour Match: Gloucestershire v Australians at Bristol, May 27-29, 1997 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Probably had been to watch glos at cheltenham before but this is the earliest memory of a game. Certainly can remember Walsh steaming in at Cheltenham with Russell keeping. Also have fond memories of Symonds in those two years he played for Gloucestershire. Hit one big six over the stands and the road and landed in the hospital car park.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Only proper match I've seen was a T20* at Lord's in '09, which was actually the first match played under the new floodlights (the pic I took that night is still up on Lord's wiki).

*I guess you could do say I have yet to watch a proper match.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Mine was the India Vs Pakistan Independence Cup match in Chennai when Anwar hit 194 and Dravid hit 107. Ganguly took Anwar's catch on the boundary near our stand. Slept for some parts of the game despite the suffocating crowd and the **** load of noise.>_>

Guess I was 7 years old at that time.
Didn't he hurt himself catching Anwar too? What a ****. I was stuck in a small motel in Islamabad at the time with the rest of my family trying to line up all the documents required to come to the US.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Didn't he hurt himself catching Anwar too? What a ****. I was stuck in a small motel in Islamabad at the time with the rest of my family trying to line up all the documents required to come to the US.
Yeah hit his head against the turf. Would have been a simple catch if he had followed proper technique and kept his cool. Made it look way more difficult than it actually was.:p

chris.hinton

International Captain
My first live cricket match was Warwickshire vs Glouestershire in 1997, Warwick needed to win to win the Old Sunday League and won.

Really sickening as a Worcester fan, i cannot remember why i went in the first place, But i went on the pitch afterwards

The Home of CricketArchive

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Not even kidding - I think it was the Danny Morrison tribute match at Mt Smart, with the duck callers etc. He made a half-century and I was the first on the ground to run on and shake his hand. Should've gone with something more grievous.

Or my old man's Senior 5 match when there was a robust debate as to whether you could be caught off a wide.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not even kidding - I think it was the Danny Morrison tribute match at Mt Smart, with the duck callers etc. He made a half-century and I was the first on the ground to run on and shake his hand. Should've gone with something more grievous.
Remember watching this one on the TV. Trying to remember who else was playing - Emily Drumm, maybe?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Remember watching this one on the TV. Trying to remember who else was playing - Emily Drumm, maybe?
Reckon you might be right, I think Marc Ellis played from memory, Paddles and a few other names of note.

It wouldn't have been my first live match by a long stretch but do remember it very well. On astro at Mt Smart with very short square boundaries, same place they played a few Max games.