• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your first live match

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fascinating piece....brings back many happy memories. In the late 70s I was a school girl member and went regularly with my friends. We (all girls) always sat in the same place a few rows behind a group of boys. Between overs we used to drive the scorecard sellers mad with our messing about.
Clearly a lady of taste and distinction - are you sure you don't want to marry me? If its any help it's only ever a temporary position

Red rose bear

Cricket Spectator
Clearly a lady of taste and distinction - are you sure you don't want to marry me? If its any help it's only ever a temporary position
Tempting as your offer may be, I suspect my husband may not agree.....admittedly he's a Notts lad but I have learned to make allowances and he can't be held responsible for his place of birth. You will just have to make do with me as a virtual bit on the side!! :p

viriya

International Captain
Mine was the 1992 world cup match SL vs Pak in Perth.. I was 6 years old and waving an SL flag, knew nothing of cricket (until 96 lit a fire up my ass).. I remember a much bigger and intimidating Pak flag and trying to compete with it by waving my puny SL flag harder... also remember Wasim got Arjuna out or something..

here it is: 33rd Match: Pakistan v Sri Lanka at Perth, Mar 15, 1992 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
turns out it was Mahanama..

March 15, 1992..

4 years and 2 days later, this happened:
Final: Australia v Sri Lanka at Lahore, Mar 17, 1996 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Marius

International Debutant
I think it was Transvaal vs the rebel West Indians in the early '80s.

The first one I remember well is a Test between South Africa and India in 1992 at Wanderers.

Flametree

International 12th Man
The first match I attended would have been CD vs Auckland in Wanganui in the 1970s. My Dad was on the local committee, so was one of those to drive out to the airport to pick up the Auckland team. On the way to the hotel, I sat on the knee of one of the three tall fast bowlers in the back seat (Gary Troup, John Cushen, one other I don't recall...). Of the game, Robert Anderson made a lot of runs, and my Dad was part of the committee to decide on the Man of Match. As the match petered out to a likely draw, the committee gave it to Anderson. At which point the CD skipper threw him the ball for an over - and Mark Burgess took about 30 off the over (8 ball overs back then, and Cooks Gardens, being a grass running track inside a velodrome, had ridiculously short side boundaries), after which Auckland cantered to an easy win...

My first test was a lot later, and I watched every ball as Jimmy Adams and Junior Murray, and Lara and Arthurton scored mega runs against Sua, Doull, Hart and somebody else, before Courtenay Walsh took about 12 wickets to embarass what was a pretty awful batting line-up (Darren Murray opening with Bryan Young....). Wellington, 1995 I think.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This pre-dates my LSD taking days so it's a bit hazy. But I think the first match of substance I saw was the Minor Counties v West Indies at Torquay in 1976. Only Holder and Julien played of the famed pace attack but they still bowled out the opposition bowling at half pace. In the 2nd Innings Padmore and Jumadeen bowled almost throughout the innings to ensure the fairly large crowd saw a decent amount of play and got to see the West Indies bat a second time.

chasingthedon

International Regular
This pre-dates my LSD taking days so it's a bit hazy. But I think the first match of substance I saw was the Minor Counties v West Indies at Torquay in 1976. Only Holder and Julien played of the famed pace attack but they still bowled out the opposition bowling at half pace. In the 2nd Innings Padmore and Jumadeen bowled almost throughout the innings to ensure the fairly large crowd saw a decent amount of play and got to see the West Indies bat a second time.
I was at that match too. As I recall Lloyd hit several massive sixes, and received generous applause from the crowd when delivering drinks to the disabled umpire, absolutely necessary in that ridiculously hot summer. My friends happened to be sat with members of the group Sassafras, who kept referring to Cornish "nasties".

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
When I was just getting in to cricket my Dad toe and a friend to Headingley for Yorks vs Hants. Only memory of it is Gower taking a good boundary catch in front of us wearing light blue socks.

Last edited: