• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Squad To Sri lanka

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pick your squad. Im not sure if they will take 15 or 16, so I have have just picked 15 with a 16th man just in case

I think teh selectors will actually play it smart and pick players to which the conditions suit. Most peopel agree this will happen with the bowling, but I think it will happen with teh batting as well.

My Squad (What I Think WILL Happen, Not should)

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Lehmann
Bevan
Katich
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Bichel
Gillespie

Martyn
Clarke
MacGill
Williams

Davison (if he is allowed)

I dont think that middle order will be permanent, but with may players on virtually level playing terms in Australia, I think players will be selected depending on conditions. Many have suggested that two spinners will eb played, but with Katich, Bevan and Lehmann all in the team, I dont think it is really neccessary.

I dont believe Mcgrath will be fit, and Im not sure what the rule is for Davison. I knwo the standard four year rule, but he only played one dayers for Canada... anyway hes been in tremendous form with bat and ball.

Andre

International Regular
Prince EWS said:
Davison (if he is allowed)
He is eligibile, but I think we all know that its not happening.

As for my squad, I'd take:

Ponting (c)
Hayden
Langer
Martyn
Katich
Lehmann
Love
Clarke
Gilchrist
Hogg
Warne
Bichel
Gillespie
Williams
Tait
McGrath.

With only 14 vying for serious Test places - I'd take Clarke and Tait for the experiance, althouhg Tait would do well if picked to play.

Craig

World Traveller
Are the ODIs played before the Tests?

It wouldnt be a bad idea to leave a spot open for a player who plays well in the ODIs. That could go to any player.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Craig I dont see your logic. They pick different squads so it wouldnt matter which was played first. I was referring to the stest squad obviusly (with langer in there). Well with your logic (despite the fact that I dont get it) my selection of Bevan is a good one.

Bevan if picked, IMO will average 150+ in the test series. The only decent seemer they have is Vaas, who doesnt do the things that disturb Bevan (bouncers mainly....)

Craig

World Traveller
Its something the New Zealanders have done. And why not? If Clarke or Symonds or whoever wants that spot then they must play to get it.

It got Scott Styris added in a few NZ tour squads.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Oh okay I see. So your comment had nothing to do with your question. Well Bevan is certainly a good candidate then, with teh spinners and all.

Craig

World Traveller
Bevan has every chance, but I see it unlikely though due to age. But you never know.

Brad Hogg might be a chance as he offeres "something different".

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I dont think they will be looking at Bevan for a permanent place in the team at all, but for Sri Lanka, I think he will go. I dont think teh selectors are as obsessed with youth as some of you have been lead to belive. I think they will pick the best players (or who they think are) for each situation, and Bevan is that man IMO for Sri Lanka. His only fault is fast, short pitched bowling, which he will see none of in Sri Lanka.

I dont think Hogg adds something different with Katich in the team, and I think Davison has every chance. He is a finger spinner which helps immencly in Sl and his batting can be awesome at times.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Hmm

ODI segment (comes first)

The team I think they'll take-
1.A.C.Gilchrist
2.M.L.Hayden
3.R.T.Ponting
4.D.R.Martyn
5.M.G.Bevan
6.M.J.Clarke
7.A.Symonds
8.I.J.Harvey
9.G.B.Hogg
10.A.J.Bichel/N.W.Bracken/B.A.Williams/B.Lee
11.one of the above 4
12.J.N.Gillespie
13.G.D.McGrath
14.D.S.Lehmann

The team I'd pick
1.A.C.Gilchrist
2.S.M.Katich
3.R.T.Ponting
4.D.R.Martyn
5.M.G.Bevan
6.M.J.Clarke
7.A.Symonds
8.I.J.Harvey
9.G.B.Hogg
10.B.Lee
11.S.Tait/A.Bichel
12.J.N.Gillespie
13.G.D.McGrath
14.D.S.Lehmann

Test squad

The team I think they'll pick
1.J.L.Langer
2.M.L.Hayden
3.R.T.Ponting
4.D.R.Martyn
5.S.M.Katich
6.D.S.Lehmann
7.A.C.Gilchrist
8.S.K.Warne
9.B.Lee/A.Bichel
10.J.Gillespie
11.G.McGrath
12.N.Bracken/B.Williams/S.Tait
13.G.B.Hogg/S.C.G.MacGill
14.M.J.Clarke
15.M.L.Love

The team I'd pick
1.J.L.Langer
2.M.L.Hayden
3.R.T.Ponting
4.D.R.Martyn
5.S.M.Katich
6.D.S.Lehmann
7.A.C.Gilchrist
8.S.K.Warne
9.M.Inness
10.J.Gillespie
11.G.McGrath
12.S.Tait
13.G.B.Hogg
14.M.J.Clarke
15.M.L.Love

hourn

U19 Cricketer
For mine - I think they may have a 14 man squad, possibly 15 man. Won't be 16.

I also think its the most wide open selection has been for an Australian touring squad in years.

Garunateed Players to tour:

Matt Hayden
Justin Langer
Ricky Ponting
Simon Katich
Adam Gilchrist
Jason Gillespie
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath (if fit)
Stuart MacGill (not neccasarilly a certainty in the team but they'll take two spinners and he's clearly the second best in Australia despite an ordinary summer)

Positions vacant:
- 2 starting XI batting positions
- 1 further squad batting replacement (possibly 2)
- 2 fast bowling positions in the squad (could possibly be upto 4, depending whether they take 14 or 15 on tour, and if McGrath is fit)

The candidates:
For the batting positions the candidates (in order of most likely to tour) would be Darren Lehmann, Damien Martyn, Michael Clarke, Martin Love and Brad Hodge. Three of those (possibly four) will be on the tour.

For the bowling positions, of which there are at least two available (could be upto four depending on whether or not they take 14 or 15 players, and whether McGrath is fit), the candidates (in order at this point in time) would be, and there quite a lot of them: Andy Bichel, Brett Lee, Brad Williams, Nathan Bracken, Shaun Tait, Matt Nicholson, Paul Rofe, Ian Harvey, Ashley Noffke (coming back from injury), Michael Kasprowicz, Matthew Inness (coming back from sickness) and Damien Wright.

The candidates lists are so even, that its just about impossible to pick, and i'd reckon it would all come down to form between now and Feb 20. Probably the best bets out of the candidates list is that Damien Wright won't travel, Darren Lehmann and Andy Bichel will travel.

But those rankings could change very rapidly over this month.

I reckon this will be the first test team and squad, but i will make my final official guess on Feb 19 ;)

Matt Hayden
Justin Langer
Ricky Ponting
Darren Lehmann
Damien Martyn
Simon Katich
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Andrew Bichel
Jason Gillespie
Glenn McGrath

Michael Clarke
(Martin Love if 15 are taken)
Stuart MacGill
Brad Williams

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
I don't think Davison is eligible for Australia since he has played for Canada in the World Cup.....

For my squad though:

1. Hayden
2. Langer
3. Ponting
4. Martyn (they would have to stick with him though he seems out of form)
5. Lehmann (logically the only man to replace Waugh, if not injured)
6. Katich
7. Gilchrist
8. Lee
9. Warne
10 Gillespie
11. McGrath (if fit)
12. Williams
13. Bracken
14. Clarke
15. Bevan

I think it is only 15 on this tour....

hourn said:

I reckon this will be the first test team and squad, but i will make my final official guess on Feb 19 ;)

Matt Hayden
Justin Langer
Ricky Ponting
Darren Lehmann
Damien Martyn
Simon Katich
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Andrew Bichel
Jason Gillespie
Glenn McGrath

Michael Clarke
(Martin Love if 15 are taken)
Stuart MacGill
Brad Williams
i reckon what we see here is pretty much on the money

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SquidAU said:
I don't think Davison is eligible for Australia since he has played for Canada in the World Cup.....
Hamilton payed for Scotland than England (and now back to Scotland again!)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I still think Bevam has a future at test level, as the Aussie selectors aren't obsessed with youth. He just needs to start bowling his chinamen again...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Prince EWS said:
Bevan if picked, IMO will average 150+ in the test series. The only decent seemer they have is Vaas, who doesnt do the things that disturb Bevan (bouncers mainly....)
Chaminda disturbs everyone if he bowls well.
As for Bevan, without a question he is the best one-day player ever IMO, but not Test class - had enough chances, and wasted most of them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Are the ODIs played before the Tests?

It wouldnt be a bad idea to leave a spot open for a player who plays well in the ODIs. That could go to any player.
Craig, surely you don't think Test selection should take any account of ODIs.
They're different forms of the game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ODIs:
The certainties barring injury, and assuming current stats continue to be garnered:
Bevan
Ponting (cpt)
Gilchrist (wkt)
Lehmann
Hayden
Martyn
Symonds
Clarke
Harvey
Williams
Bracken
Lee
McGrath (I really can't believe it's lasted as long as it has, surely not much longer)
Gillespie
Basically I would imagine anyone else who does well in the rest of the VB Series (eg. Bichel) will get the other places. If Symonds, Harvey and Williams have poor series' (as I still hope) their places might fall into question.
Tests:
The certainties barring injury:
Langer
Hayden
Ponting (cpt)
Martyn
Lehmann
Katich
Gilchrist (wkt)
Warne (yes, I do think he's certain, his bowling and slipping have been badly missed)
Gillespie
McGrath
Lee
Bichel
Love
The remaining spot has many possibilities.

Dingo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
marc71178 said:
Hamilton payed for Scotland than England (and now back to Scotland again!)
From memory, I think this is a different case, since Scotland are still a Minor County for the purposes of English selection. I think there's a technicality about players who play for Scotland, Ireland or Wales.