Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Please Vote for the 3 Strongest Teams

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • CHASINGTHEDONs XI

    4 23.53%
  • FREDFERTANGs XI

    8 47.06%
  • KYEARs XI

    6 35.29%
  • WATSONs XI

    12 70.59%
  • MORGIEBs XI

    3 17.65%
  • BLAKUS' XI

    9 52.94%
  • CAMO999 XI

    9 52.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 'GROUP B' - The Best of Each Decade Birthday Draft. VOTING THREAD

  1. #16
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,947
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    The point at which the player reached their highest ICC rating is as good as any definition of peak that I've seen. Importantly, the algorithm used to calculate the 'peak rating' takes into account their entire career to that point.

    Incidently, according to the ICC, Viv Richards reached his career 'peak rating' during 1981.
    1981 Richards, at what appears to be a 'cumulative peak', is picking a player that played 43 Tests. You'd be ignoring the 78 Tests he played subsequently. If you're picking Viv Richards - the player who played 121 Tests - you've got to take his entire career into account. Both the good and the bad.


    Also, you rationale means that Ian Botham should never be picked as the odds of him being rotund and underpar are too great. Realistically, from 1985 to 1992 he was a shadow of his former self.
    You say that like it's problematic. Overall I'd expect that there's an equal chance of fat Botham showing up as there is of early Botham. It's a package deal. Depending on the stage of the draft, if that's a better package overall than the next best available option, I might very well go for him. He might win me a game single handedly and he might contribute absolutely nothing the next. Depending on the composition of my team and the philosophy of how I'd want my team to play, I might very well choose to pick him.


    Honestly, I'm not saying that picking a player based on his peak is a flawed concept in itself. All I'm saying is that it's not the norm, and if the intention was to get people to vote based on that understanding, it probably should have been made clear right at the start so people could formulate their strategy accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

  2. #17
    International Captain watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,447
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    1981 Richards, at what appears to be a 'cumulative peak', is picking a player that played 43 Tests. You'd be ignoring the 78 Tests he played subsequently. If you're picking Viv Richards - the player who played 121 Tests - you've got to take his entire career into account. Both the good and the bad.




    You say that like it's problematic. Overall I'd expect that there's an equal chance of fat Botham showing up as there is of early Botham. It's a package deal. Depending on the stage of the draft, if that's a better package overall than the next best available option, I might very well go for him. He might win me a game single handedly and he might contribute absolutely nothing the next. Depending on the composition of my team and the philosophy of how I'd want my team to play, I might very well choose to pick him.


    Honestly, I'm not saying that picking a player based on his peak is a flawed concept in itself. All I'm saying is that it's not the norm, and if the intention was to get people to vote based on that understanding, it probably should have been made clear right at the start so people could formulate their strategy accordingly.
    But that leaves us with the problem of how often your player undergoes his 'metamorphasis'. Is it once a series, once a Test match, once an innings, or during an innings perhaps? And if you do decide once a Test Match, for example, why once a Test match? Better to assume a player to be at the height of his career and be done with it I reckon.

    However, it was wrong of me to assume that my assumption would be the 'norm' as you say, just because it makes sense to me. Apologies.


    (This is beginning to sound like a conversation out of The Big Bang Theory )
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - Peter May - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

    Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

  3. #18
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,947
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    But that leaves us with the problem of how often your player undergoes his 'metamorphasis'. Is it once a series, once a Test match, once an innings, or during an innings perhaps? And if you do decide once a Test Match, for example, why once a Test match? Better to assume a player to be at the height of his career and be done with it I reckon.

    However, it was wrong of me to assume that my assumption would be the 'norm' as you say, just because it makes sense to me. Apologies.


    (This is beginning to sound like a conversation out of The Big Bang Theory )
    I just assume the likelihood of the player showing up in a particular flavour to be based on the impression I have of his career. It's a very nebulous idea and can't be put in numbers, in my opinion.

  4. #19
    International Captain watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,447
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    I just assume the likelihood of the player showing up in a particular flavour to be based on the impression I have of his career. It's a very nebulous idea and can't be put in numbers, in my opinion.
    I quite like that sort of 'wholistic' thinking, and I wouldn't say that it's 'nebulous' at all. But rather it has a higher degree of complexity.
    Last edited by watson; 30-03-2014 at 06:09 PM.


  5. #20
    International Captain watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,447
    Finally decided to go for Fred's team as Larwood and McDonald operating at 90mph with the new ball is too irresistable, especially with Garner at first change. The skills of Knott was also a big factor for me, especially when keeping to the dynamic left-arm spin of Wardle. I would have preferred an anchor man to partner either Trumper or Sehwag so as to give the top order some stability, but a lineup of Dexter-Lara-Pietersen-Donnelly has so much firepower it could hit itself out of trouble more often than not. All-in-all a cracking team.

    I must admit that I initially overlooked Camo's team, but decided it needed a vote for its originality. Realistically, the swing and cut of the two left-arm pacers, Akram and Johnston, would be a batsman's nightmare on any wicket offering assistance. Backed-up by the raw pace of Bond and the baffling roundarm, round-the-wicket technique of WG, and Camo has a potent pace attack. Johnston could also bowl decent orthodiox spin, so the team has two spinners to exploit any turn in the wicket. The batting lineup features two of England's finest openers, and the middle-order of Miandad-Ponsford-Lloyd is very dependable and capable of scoring a ton of runs once set. Not sure about Kohli, but he seems talented enough. However, in the end, it was the leadership skills of Lloyd and Benaud that gave this team the edge over its competitors. I doubt that you could find a better pairing anywhere. A most singular team. Well done.
    Last edited by watson; 31-03-2014 at 08:30 AM.
    Camo999 likes this.

  6. #21
    International Captain watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,447
    This Group needs some more votes in the next couple of days to break the deadlock!

  7. #22
    Cricket Web Staff Member chasingthedon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,780
    Indeed - despite my misgivings over his clap-like persistence, I am actually rooting for Fred.

  8. #23
    International Captain watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,447
    Quote Originally Posted by chasingthedon View Post
    Indeed - despite my misgivings over his clap-like persistence, I am actually rooting for Fred.
    Well despite the stiff competition, there's still plenty of time for Fred to come from behind.

    Poll finishes Thursday evening, Sydney time.

  9. #24
    International Regular harsh.ag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    3,100
    This is way tougher than the other thread to chose. All sides are really close for me. Don't know how to pick, so for now I am going to abstain. Will come back in an hour and give it another go.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

  10. #25
    International Regular harsh.ag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    3,100
    Okay. My first two sides are Fredfertang's and Blakus'. Who should I pick between Watson and Kyear as the third choice? Opinion?

  11. #26
    State Vice-Captain Coronis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,368
    Kyear, Camo, Watson. Loving Camo's bowling and Watson's middle order.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. A.C Gilchrist 7. Imran Khan 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

  12. #27
    U19 Vice-Captain Saint Kopite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    573
    Voted for Watson, Blakus and Kyear.

    I think Watson and Blakus have the best two sides in this group closely followed by Kyear and Camo. But if given a chance, I would pay to watch Fred's team bat. It would be some sight.

  13. #28
    U19 Vice-Captain Saint Kopite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    573
    In terms of pace-attack, Davidson - Donald - Pollock is my favourite in the draft. Plenty of variety there.
    watson and ohnoitsyou like this.

  14. #29
    International Captain watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,447
    AWTA St Kopite. The race derserves to be even closer with about 12 hours to go in the voting.

  15. #30
    International Captain watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,447
    Well this is embarassing. After the allotted time it appears that Watson has the most votes. Blakus and Camo who came equal second had very nice teams and both undoubtably deserved to advance to the Grand Final.

    To Fred and chasingthedon, thanks for squabbling with eachother. We enjoyed it.

    To everyone, well Drafted! And I hope to see you in yet another Draft sometime soonish.

    (I will post the Grand Final voting thread this evening so we can be home and hosed in under a week)
    Last edited by watson; 03-04-2014 at 04:47 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-04-2014, 08:22 PM
  2. The Best of Each Decade Birthday DRAFT
    By watson in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 668
    Last Post: 02-04-2014, 08:49 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 23-03-2014, 07:07 PM
  4. Scorecard Draft III - Voting Thread
    By G.I.Joe in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 05:02 AM
  5. Families Draft - Voting Thread
    By Michaelf7777777 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 26-06-2009, 06:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •