• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future Legends

Andre

International Regular
IMO, it's impossible to judge whether someone will be a legend.

I mean there are just so many variable things in cricket its not funny, and it makes it impossible to say anyone for sure.

What says Graeme Smith isn't worked out in the next year and loses his place?

Unlikely, but you can't predict with any certainty.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
A 'legend' and a 'great cricketer' are different.

Graeme Smith really has the best chance already captaining South Africa at a very young age. A consistent win record could put him up there with Steve Waugh eventually, but that's a bold statement.

wahindiawah

Banned
FRAZ said:
Although there are some very very good and talented new cricketers. But there are only a few who become legends like Sunil Gavaskar,Imran Khan , Steve Waugh etc etc . Which new talent has a potential to become a legend like the people mentioned above . In my view its may be gonna be Sami cuz his wrist tests showed he has genuine age which he tells.And may be Taibu (just a guess)

SAMI??? You mean to say M Sami , the Pakistani pacer??.....L :p L.

Man, i knew you could crack a joke.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Whats the point of picking guys who are 16 or 17 years of age? come on!
Unless they're a prodigy like Tendulkar was.

I think they need at least 3 or 4 years of being consistently selected at international level before you can at least predict greatness.

FRAZ

International Captain
Tim sorry if argumentative . Actually the thing is offcourse "time is the judge " but the limited experts like me can atleast predict some thing they see good in future . ^^^ not a bad choice though The name is also quite lovely chigumbura lol .

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Steve Waugh had to wait until he was around 28/29 before he started scoring big runs for Australia. I doubt many beforehand outside of Australia would have predicted his greatness.

FRAZ

International Captain
^^ You know what the thing that you said about Tendulkar is quite right . I remember he was touring first time to Pakistan and though he did'nt make many runs but he created an impression for sure . The way he was playing was an absolute treat to watch . I remember him hitting sixes to Abdul Qadir and vice versa . Any ways Steve Waugh was a legend and a true legend and no doubt about it . But basically his ability to use his limited resources was also good . First he understood cricket completely and then he applied his experience and became a legend . You can see on the other hand that Inzamam is no short of talent and I guess in some cases may be better than Tendulkar and Waugh and all the other greats , And he showed his talent from the first game . But still he cannot b counted as the legend because his understanding of cricket is wy poorer than Tendulkar and Waugh . He was run out atleast 50 times in one dayers and like 19 times in tests which may have caused his runs to be limited but in general his understanding of cricket and shot selection wont let him fall into the category of a legend .

Craig

World Traveller
sheerindianspeed said:
Rayuda....One hell of a batsman

Munaf Patel....Suppose to be find of century.

Irfan Pathan

Graeme smith.
Isn't Munaf Patel only fast medium at best?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Smith
Rudolph

to become legends of the game, and i mean legends.

Bravo and Rainsford

cbuts

International Debutant
iamdavid said:
Adam Crosthwaite from Victoria , massive potential , the sky's the limit. This Henriques guy , 16 year old , playing grade cricket in Sydney ATM can apparently hit 135kph , certainly sounds pretty impressive.
odds on to do his back

Deja moo

International Captain
Munaf Patel ?

Had extreme pace and poor control when he started off.
Now has dropped his pace a lot for control .
His performances for Mumbai suggest he isnt even assured of his place in the Indian team .

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Deja moo said:
Munaf Patel ?

Had extreme pace and poor control when he started off.
Now has dropped his pace a lot for control .
His performances for Mumbai suggest he isnt even assured of his place in the Indian team .
didnt he get dropped from the "A" side too. he played a few in zim but later the attack had amit, paul, salvi

Deja moo

International Captain
Raj123 said:
didnt he get dropped from the "A" side too. he played a few in zim but later the attack had amit, paul, salvi

That might have had to do with politics . No way is Munaf worse than Paul .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
Whats the point of picking guys who are 16 or 17 years of age? come on!
Unless they're a prodigy like Tendulkar was.

I think they need at least 3 or 4 years of being consistently selected at international level before you can at least predict greatness.

I'd say more than that if they're going to reach legendary (ie Bradman, Sobers, ...) status.

That sort of tag can only really be placed on them near the end of their careers.