• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Premier League 2014

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Is he? I have been out of NZ for a while now so I haven't been watching domestic cricket but New Zealand wickets are hardly spin friendly and the quality of domestic spinners judging by who we pick to play internationals is poor. He looked all at sea with the ball turning against quality spinners, then again coming in with 3 overs left needed 18 an over is tough for anyone, Pollard also struggled. Personally if Hussey has another shocker I would be tempted to drop him and try Anderson as an opener and bring in Santokie.
More a case that Anderson doesn't have a glaring weakness against spin. He looked classy in Bangladesh; not KW/TPC/Michael Clarke levels of gun-ness against spin, but he's definitely well above the median. That said, 'hopelessly inept' is more-or-less the median these days.

As hendrix says, he doesn't quite have the technique to deal with the ball outside off stump, doubly so if its moving around a bit. From what I've gathered, driving on the up, in particular, is not a strength. Incredibly talented guy though. Very good young cricketer - he's smart enough to minimise how much a bowler can take advantage of his weakness; knows and accepts he has limitations at present.

Him as an opener would be suicidally bad thinking. You sign Todd Astle for that purpose. And let's remember that Hussey has no cricket behind him since the end of the BBL. Give him a couple of games and he'll be right - form is temporary, class is permanent (until your eyes go) and all that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
They've still referred to it as the IPL in like half their articles over the past week though. Wonder why sometimes it's okay and something it's not, unless they just haven't bothered fixing it half the time.
Aren't they only referring it as Indian IPL for live scores?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Aren't they only referring it as Indian IPL for live scores?
Nah some of their articles are calling it the Indian T20 League as well (although as I said, some aren't). Maybe it's just for continuity so people get used to it being called that and know what to look for. I'm not sure.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'm no lawyer but pretty sure none of that would stand up in court other than the obvious stuff like no streaming etc.
I'm not sure but I think they did get a court order to that effect a while back.

Cricinfo not referring to the teams and the league by their brand/franchise names might hurt them SEO-wise. A fan could google "Royals vs Super Kings match" and cricinfo wouldn't show up in the search results.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm not sure but I think they did get a court order to that effect a while back.

Cricinfo not referring to the teams and the league by their brand/franchise names might hurt them SEO-wise. A fan could google "Royals vs Super Kings match" and cricinfo wouldn't show up in the search results.
It actually still does.

If you search for Daredevils v Royal Challengers, you get this google result:

2nd match: Delhi Daredevils v Royal Challengers ...Bang 6/0 (1.3 ov, NJ Maddinson 4*, PA Patel 2*, Mohammed Shami 0/1) | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
ESPNcricinfo
Live cricket score and commentary for Indian Premier League, 2nd match: Delhi Daredevils v Royal Challengers Bangalore at Sharjah, Apr 17, 2014.
... and it links to the live scores page which references the Indian T20 League, Delhi T20 and Bangalore T20.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
It actually still does.

If you search for Daredevils v Royal Challengers, you get this google result:

... and it links to the live scores page which references the Indian T20 League, Delhi T20 and Bangalore T20.
That's interesting. You know more about this than anyone else here - are they sneaking in keywords into the invisible header thingys or something? It would be a perfectly legal workaround if so, I think.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Or could it be that the BCCI has no issues but it's actually cricinfo that wants to get paid by the IPL for 'advertising' the brand?

Sean Flynn

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Partiv Patel always flatters to deceive for me in the IPL. Don't reckon i've ever seen him get more than 35 opening. Saying that he's just got 37 but advanced down the pitch to a tall legspinner and is bowled....

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Glad that Kohli and Yuvraj are still getting along well, I thought their friendship might sour after the World T20 final which could be problematic for RCB but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Howsie

International Captain
I see Corey Anderson as the new muscular breed of one day and 20/20 hitters in the mould of Aaron Finch perhaps? But will he be consistently found out?
I think that's how most people view him outside New Zealand. He hits the worlds fastest ODI hundered so natuarally he's just a slogger. He's a genuine middle order batsman, who bowls some above average left arm medium pace.

Flem274*

123/5
Anderson's modus operandi against pace is to leave anything and everything outside off stump. He know's he lacks technique in certain areas so he makes up for it with a good awareness of his off stump.

It's not a bad method but obviously it's a bit makeshift and he'll be better when he expands that part of his game.

He's pretty good against spin.
plunket shield video indicates he has no idea where his off stump is against pace, though he looks to have improved in recent times.

he's played three series: the first against a spin dominated attack in spin friendly conditions, the second against an attack obsessed with testing out the middle of the pitch (his strength), and the third against the indians. he's had a very friendly introduction to test cricket so far because all three attacks have played to his strengths (short pitched pace bowling, lots of spin bowling).

he's a gun but he's got a long way to go and imo i wouldn't be surprised if he takes the long KW road to success rather than being an instant hit like ryder and taylor were.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Anderson doesn't have a glaring weakness against spin.
Yeah as long as the surface is so docile he can play you from the pitch, and there's no intellect and beguilement and stuff. Because if you start hitting him with that, he's ****ed.

GGG

State Captain
I think that's how most people view him outside New Zealand. He hits the worlds fastest ODI hundered so natuarally he's just a slogger. He's a genuine middle order batsman, who bowls some above average left arm medium pace.
Thats why I would try him as an opener or at least in the top 4 in 20/20's, every time I have seen him come in for the slog with 2-3 overs left he fails, give him a couple of overs to get the feel of the wicket and then see what happens.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Manan Vohra was retained by Punjab but is not in the team.. Also, think Badree could have been included for Smith. Chennai bowling looks very weak..

ajdude

International Coach
yeah i've got it playing on my tv through my media center, better quality than if it were to be shown on australian tv.