Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fill in keepers

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar

Fill in keepers

I'm not sure why, but one of my favourite things in cricket is when a regular keeper has to go off, and someone from within the team has to fill in with the gloves.

Recently Matthew Wade had a bowl in a test, so Phil Hughes kept for an over. Wade looked better with the ball than the gloves tbh, and Hughes looked tidy enough with the gloves.

I was watching something on DVD recently and Ian Healy was injured so Mark Taylor took the gloves. He looked ok with them too.

Can anyone remember other times when non-keepers have kept in tests?

And also, who do you think would take the gloves in the current Aust team if Haddin was injured during a game? I'm reckoning Warner at the moment...

Apparently Warner was a candidate to keep when Hughes took the gloves, but Alex Doolan has kept wicket before so my money would be on him.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

My favourite instance of a keeper taking off the pads and bowling was that time Dhoni did it in an ODI against the Windies. He had no injuries to deal with and plenty of overs left from his bowlers, he just decided they were all ****. He took a wicket as well.

Unfortunately Karthik took the gloves iirc, so this doesn't belong in this thread at all. Whoops
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Aaron Finch being looked at as a potential T20 'keeper if Haddin goes down, apparently.
    Wouldn't want to miss out on his slow left arm orthodox's though.

Oh, and BJ Watling

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Morgan actually looks to have potential as a keeper were he to treat it semi-seriously. Has the reactions, but, as with most part-timers his footwork and, consequently, his positioning, needs work.

With practically everyone in our top order having kept at some point tho there's no real incentive for him to develop it.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

I vaguely recall Paul Collingwood taking the gloves during a test whilst Prior was injured and he did a very serviceable job. Though he's definitely a player you'd rather have had at backward point much like De Villiers, he definitely wasn't as bad as some keepers I've seen in international cricket.

The Grinch was a very good junior keeper, but coming through had Nevill and A. Crosthwaite around him so just stopped doing it.

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    How has no one mentioned Amla putting on the gloves in the India series for ABdV to bowl his magnificent filth? The most glorious sight of the year
    Proud member of the Indian STFU: Sane Tendulkar Fanboy Union.
    Our motto: Sachin WAG, Don>>>Sachin

International Debutant
    Bradman took the gloves in a shield match in the late 30s and effected 4 dismissals from memory. Typically his hate buddy Bill O'Reilly couldn't find anything in that to praise. Instead he noted Bradman decided to stand back to his side's medium pace bowlers (presumably to avoid injury) and blamed Bradman for setting that trend for keeping ever since.
    JBMAC likes this.

I know Bradman wasn't the best guy, but O'Reilly really irritates me.

International Debutant
    Great bowler but a bit of a tit imo. Ian Chappell really liked him. Mainly bcos I think he was in the anti Bradman camp with his grand father. Thats from where Chappell's opinion of the Don would come from.

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Great bowler but a bit of a tit imo. Ian Chappell really liked him. Mainly bcos I think he was in the anti Bradman camp with his grand father. Thats from where Chappell's opinion of the Don would come from.
    Chappelli talks a lot about going to see Bradman (when he was SACA president & basically also running the ACB) to ask for improved player payments and conditions, and Bradman being dismissive of him and his requests. This was just prior to, and a catalyst to, World Series Cricket starting.

But all that said, I think Bradman was just old school in terms of administration and didn't necessarily see the need.

International Debutant
    Yeah I heard about that and don't know what to think about Bradman's attitude. I can admire him for playing it hard and I suppose he thought he was dealing from a position of strength.

He couldn't have foreseen the Packer revolution so it can't be held against him that he didn't consider it as a threat in his negotiations with the players. He would have known that financial pressures were a reason many players retired before they had too. I think he was shortsighted in failing to pay the players, who were bringing in the revenue, what they were modestly asking for let alone what they were actually worth. He would have been better remembered as an administrator if he ushered in the era where players were paid for their professionalism rather than it being a consequence of his stubborness.

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Yeah I heard about that and don't know what to think about Bradman's attitude. I can admire him for playing it hard and I suppose he thought he was dealing from a position of strength.

He couldn't have foreseen the Packer revolution so it can't be held against him that he didn't consider it as a threat in his negotiations with the players. He would have known that financial pressures were a reason many players retired before they had too. I think he was shortsighted in failing to pay the players, who were bringing in the revenue, what they were modestly asking for let alone what they were actually worth. He would have been better remembered as an administrator if he ushered in the era where players were paid for their professionalism rather than it being a consequence of his stubborness.
    That's very true, and it has to be remembered that in the Chappell era, when Lillee, Marsh, the Chappells and Walters were in full swag, there was plenty of money in the game.

Bradman always strikes me as a complete pragmatist rather than an arsehole though. I imagine his attitude was "I didn't get paid for this (from cricket admin), so why should you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    That's very true, and it has to be remembered that in the Chappell era, when Lillee, Marsh, the Chappells and Walters were in full swag, there was plenty of money in the game.
    What? Before WSC?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information