• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fill in keepers

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'm not sure why, but one of my favourite things in cricket is when a regular keeper has to go off, and someone from within the team has to fill in with the gloves.

Recently Matthew Wade had a bowl in a test, so Phil Hughes kept for an over. Wade looked better with the ball than the gloves tbh, and Hughes looked tidy enough with the gloves.

I was watching something on DVD recently and Ian Healy was injured so Mark Taylor took the gloves. He looked ok with them too.

Can anyone remember other times when non-keepers have kept in tests?

And also, who do you think would take the gloves in the current Aust team if Haddin was injured during a game? I'm reckoning Warner at the moment...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Apparently Warner was a candidate to keep when Hughes took the gloves, but Alex Doolan has kept wicket before so my money would be on him.

Howe_zat

Audio File
My favourite instance of a keeper taking off the pads and bowling was that time Dhoni did it in an ODI against the Windies. He had no injuries to deal with and plenty of overs left from his bowlers, he just decided they were all ****. He took a wicket as well.

Unfortunately Karthik took the gloves iirc, so this doesn't belong in this thread at all. Whoops

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Aaron Finch being looked at as a potential T20 'keeper if Haddin goes down, apparently.
Wouldn't want to miss out on his slow left arm orthodox's though.

Oh, and BJ Watling :ph34r:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Morgan actually looks to have potential as a keeper were he to treat it semi-seriously. Has the reactions, but, as with most part-timers his footwork and, consequently, his positioning, needs work.

With practically everyone in our top order having kept at some point tho there's no real incentive for him to develop it.

long hop

Cricket Spectator
I vaguely recall Paul Collingwood taking the gloves during a test whilst Prior was injured and he did a very serviceable job. Though he's definitely a player you'd rather have had at backward point much like De Villiers, he definitely wasn't as bad as some keepers I've seen in international cricket.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The Grinch was a very good junior keeper, but coming through had Nevill and A. Crosthwaite around him so just stopped doing it.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How has no one mentioned Amla putting on the gloves in the India series for ABdV to bowl his magnificent filth? The most glorious sight of the year

the big bambino

International Captain
Bradman took the gloves in a shield match in the late 30s and effected 4 dismissals from memory. Typically his hate buddy Bill O'Reilly couldn't find anything in that to praise. Instead he noted Bradman decided to stand back to his side's medium pace bowlers (presumably to avoid injury) and blamed Bradman for setting that trend for keeping ever since.

Red

I know Bradman wasn't the best guy, but O'Reilly really irritates me.

the big bambino

International Captain
Great bowler but a bit of a tit imo. Ian Chappell really liked him. Mainly bcos I think he was in the anti Bradman camp with his grand father. Thats from where Chappell's opinion of the Don would come from.

Red

Great bowler but a bit of a tit imo. Ian Chappell really liked him. Mainly bcos I think he was in the anti Bradman camp with his grand father. Thats from where Chappell's opinion of the Don would come from.
Chappelli talks a lot about going to see Bradman (when he was SACA president & basically also running the ACB) to ask for improved player payments and conditions, and Bradman being dismissive of him and his requests. This was just prior to, and a catalyst to, World Series Cricket starting.

But all that said, I think Bradman was just old school in terms of administration and didn't necessarily see the need.

the big bambino

International Captain
Yeah I heard about that and don't know what to think about Bradman's attitude. I can admire him for playing it hard and I suppose he thought he was dealing from a position of strength.

He couldn't have foreseen the Packer revolution so it can't be held against him that he didn't consider it as a threat in his negotiations with the players. He would have known that financial pressures were a reason many players retired before they had too. I think he was shortsighted in failing to pay the players, who were bringing in the revenue, what they were modestly asking for let alone what they were actually worth. He would have been better remembered as an administrator if he ushered in the era where players were paid for their professionalism rather than it being a consequence of his stubborness.

Red

Yeah I heard about that and don't know what to think about Bradman's attitude. I can admire him for playing it hard and I suppose he thought he was dealing from a position of strength.

He couldn't have foreseen the Packer revolution so it can't be held against him that he didn't consider it as a threat in his negotiations with the players. He would have known that financial pressures were a reason many players retired before they had too. I think he was shortsighted in failing to pay the players, who were bringing in the revenue, what they were modestly asking for let alone what they were actually worth. He would have been better remembered as an administrator if he ushered in the era where players were paid for their professionalism rather than it being a consequence of his stubborness.
That's very true, and it has to be remembered that in the Chappell era, when Lillee, Marsh, the Chappells and Walters were in full swag, there was plenty of money in the game.

Bradman always strikes me as a complete pragmatist rather than an arsehole though. I imagine his attitude was "I didn't get paid for this (from cricket admin), so why should you?"

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I recall Aamer Sohail keeping wicket sometime in the '90s for a handful of overs, not if it was a Test. Did an admirable job too.

Red

What? Before WSC?
Yeh, I think so. I heard Ian Chappell talk about the gates takings of a test at the MCG once, and compared them to what the payers were getting paid. That team in the 70s were drawing massive crowds but the players were getting none of it.

JBMAC

State Captain
Wayne Phillips(even though his gig ended up as f/t), Ricky Ponting, Ian Redpath,Paul Sheehan.