• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pound per Pound strongest Cricketers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
As his record in giving at least one junior cricketer 'a sound thrashing' bears out.
Gave plenty of bowlers, junior and senior, plenty of sound thrashings in days when they were quite rare.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Damien Martyn said:
David Boon and Merv Hughs were pretty bulky but excellent batters.
Merv Hughes, an excellent batsman?
He wasn't the worst, but no more than a part-timer.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
We've seen many, many names here: could we fairly safely say that they are all approximately equal?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Never!
One of the better batsmen of the last 20 years IMO.
(And I don't mean Jefferson)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just a bit!
David Boon was brilliant. Something of an insult to compare him to Jefferson.

PY

International Coach
Richard said:
Just a bit!
David Boon was brilliant. Something of an insult to compare him to Jefferson.
More of insult to mention Boon and Merv in same sentence in batting terms. :wow:

No matter what Boon was like, Hughes was out of the 'Devon Malcolm School Of Funny Knocks' or maybe the other way round..absolute crap batter. Excellent bowler though and what a character!:)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
Gave plenty of bowlers, junior and senior, plenty of sound thrashings in days when they were quite rare.
Not that kind of thrashing... the public school cane-and-bottom type :P

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
More of insult to mention Boon and Merv in same sentence in batting terms. :wow:

No matter what Boon was like, Hughes was out of the 'Devon Malcolm School Of Funny Knocks' or maybe the other way round..absolute crap batter. Excellent bowler though and what a character!:)
I always thought he could bat a bit.
Not full-time all-rounder stuff or anything, but about as much as Gough or Gillespie.
But certainly an insult to David Boon to compare them.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
I don't think David "Keg on Legs" Boon or Merv "Guts" Hughes are strong muscly cricketers.....unless you count fat as being muscle (still good cricketers though!)

Matthew Hayden certainly looks like he is built like a tank....when he stands next to say, Justin Langer

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He certainly made 65 and 50* in the very early part of his career.
I seem to remember the 65 was in his 1st game.
I always think he just underachieved, a little, with the bat.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Gough scored 65 in his very first test innings. That remained his highest score. When he scored it, Christopher Martin Jenkins said: "What is more, he can bat." He soon regretted it. During one period, Gough didn't pass 20 for 3 years.

Craig

World Traveller
Sir Learie Constine was fairly strong apprantly or a decent enough cricketer.

He was the person to hit a six off Eddie Gilbert - an Aboriginal fast bowler who played for Queensland and dismissed Bradman for a duck.

Apprantly very quick but never played for Australia perhaps because of colour and thus they felt he chucked.