Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 56 of 56
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Best utility players??

  1. #46
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    West Coast Canada
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    lol
    Sounded outrageous didnt it ? But if you think carefully, it is actually true. Take current sides for example. Afridi could easily satisfy the 4th bowler+15-20 runs per innings role in a team like South Africa ( easily replaces Tahir), New Zealand ( walks in ahead of Sodhi and any other non-Vettori players), England (i'd still take him over Borthwick or any other guy not named Panesar or Swann), West Indies, Sri Lanka (2nd spinner), Bangladesh, etc. Ironically, he probably doesnt make it to the current Pakistani side, neither does he make it in the current Indian or Aussie setup but thats still most of the teams playing currently. Look down the list of the teams fielded in the last 30 years and tell me that Afridi is not selectable in a 1980s India/NZ/SL/OZ/ENG team or couldn't figure ahead of Paul Adams or Niky Boje in the super-strong Saffie team of the 90s.

  2. #47
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,553
    keep dreaming kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  3. #48
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,553
    Afridi is an underrated odi player in some ways (especially his bowling which was always overshadowed by a couple of freak innings with the bat across all forms) but he isn't walking into many test teams from the past 30 years. Let's keep a little grounded in reality here.

  4. #49
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    West Coast Canada
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Afridi is an underrated odi player in some ways (especially his bowling which was always overshadowed by a couple of freak innings with the bat across all forms) but he isn't walking into many test teams from the past 30 years. Let's keep a little grounded in reality here.
    As a 'kid' who's seen test cricket for 30+ years, he easily walks into MOST test sides that have taken the field in the last 30 years.


  5. #50
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,785
    No he doesn't. Wouldn't have him as number one spinner in any reasonable strength team as that's not a role he's ever taken on because he's not that good.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  6. #51
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,466
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    No he doesn't. Wouldn't have him as number one spinner in any reasonable strength team as that's not a role he's ever taken on because he's not that good.
    Succint.
    'It seems that perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away.'

  7. #52
    U19 12th Man ImpatientLime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The lime tree.
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I suppose we're talking about the old bob-each-way, bits-and-pieces kinda chaps then.

    England had them in spades during Adam Hollioake's brief tenure as the ODI captain. Including, but probably not limited to Mathew Fleming, Ian Austin, Mark Ealham, Craig White and, obviously, skipper Skippy himself and his (sadly late) younger brother.

    For my money tho, the archetype forever remains Roger "Rubbish"* Binny. Could hold the right end of a bat, bowled military medium dobbers and was probably India's player of the tournament in their maiden WC win.

    *copyright The 12th Man.
    Harsh on Ealham.

    Thought the fella was borderline world class with the ball in ODIs and was binned far too early.

  8. #53
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Just under your skin
    Posts
    5,829
    Afridi as test spinner? Hmm, let's see.

    He would not walk in to any SC team as the spinner, even struggle as the 2nd spinner

    80s & 90s
    England over Giles, Salisbury, Emburey et al - definietly yes.
    West Indies - Definitely yes over Roger Harper, and being a better batsman and Murray, especially against spin. Sunil Narine is the only exception who may become better than Afridi.

    90s to present
    South Africa since re admission- Hell yeah over Clive Eksteen, Niky Boje, Pat Symcox or Paul Harris or even John Traicos before re admission.
    New Zealand - Easily better spinner than Dipak Patel, Mathew Hart, Mark Haslem and as good as Vettori
    Australia - Probably after their fall,as good as Lyon, definitely better than host of wrist spinners they produces
    Zimbabwe- Would be their best player at current. Better than P. Strang and A. Whitall. Par with Price if not better.

    6/9 sides would love to had him as their spinner at various points in their history. His statement has merit.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

  9. #54
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    West Coast Canada
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Afridi as test spinner? Hmm, let's see.

    He would not walk in to any SC team as the spinner, even struggle as the 2nd spinner

    80s & 90s
    England over Giles, Salisbury, Emburey et al - definietly yes.
    West Indies - Definitely yes over Roger Harper, and being a better batsman and Murray, especially against spin. Sunil Narine is the only exception who may become better than Afridi.

    90s to present
    South Africa since re admission- Hell yeah over Clive Eksteen, Niky Boje, Pat Symcox or Paul Harris or even John Traicos before re admission.
    New Zealand - Easily better spinner than Dipak Patel, Mathew Hart, Mark Haslem and as good as Vettori
    Australia - Probably after their fall,as good as Lyon, definitely better than host of wrist spinners they produces
    Zimbabwe- Would be their best player at current. Better than P. Strang and A. Whitall. Par with Price if not better.

    6/9 sides would love to had him as their spinner at various points in their history. His statement has merit.

    In the 80s sides, he would walk into Indian team as a spinner in the 85-90 span, when Doshi retired and his place was taken by the likes of Hirwani, Shivaramakrishnan, etc. He'd walk into the Kiwi side when they'd play in the subcontinent ( Kiwis have no reason to go for a spinner in home conditions in the 80s) and he'd definitely walk into the Aussie side for stretches of the 80s as their primary spinner too.

    I am not talking about waking into the best possible teams of the 80s or 90s and Afridi getting selected or not, i am talking about the teams that actually took the field and in terms of those rosters, there definitely are times when Afridi the test spinner makes it to many a side.

  10. #55
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,244
    Shane Watson. Occasionally good for slogging a few runs and bowls some tidy medium pace.

  11. #56
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    West Coast Canada
    Posts
    288
    In tests perhaps Watto has a case in this thread. But in limited overs contest, he is an absolute beast with the bat, so i dont think he qualifies for those formats.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Utility players (or less-glorified all-rounders)
    By Arjun in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 24-04-2008, 02:45 AM
  2. Configuration Utility?
    By cricket player in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-08-2005, 05:47 AM
  3. Configuration Utility?
    By cricket player in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-08-2005, 04:19 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-10-2002, 12:12 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2002, 02:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •