Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Best utility players??

Dilshan.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Jayasuriya?

His little round arm SLA darts more than useful in the limited overs stuff and his batting speaks for itself.

SR Waugh a very decent limited overs seamer too; I believe his sometime sobriquet of "Iceman" came from his ability to bowl at the death rather than his nerveless batting.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

definition of a utility player needed, I think some people are taking it as a player who does a bit of this and that, batting up the order, down the order, pinch hitting, tight overs, attacking spell - basically whatever is required in the game whearas others seem to be listing off ODI all-rounders with regular roles
    karan316 likes this.
    RIP Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    definition of a utility player needed, I think some people are taking it as a player who does a bit of this and that, batting up the order, down the order, pinch hitting, tight overs, attacking spell - basically whatever is required in the game whearas others seem to be listing off ODI all-rounders with regular roles
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Exactly, guys like Jayasuriya, Dilshan, Symonds, Waugh, Hooper, Miller and Johnson are surprising examples, they are just too good at their primary skills to be termed as utility players.

We are talking about cricketers who can't make it to the team with their primary skill alone. People who are selected for the overall contribution they can make in the team and fill in certain areas where the team is lacking. For e.g. Nathan McCullum, gives a decent spin bowling option along with lower order hitting. Obviously he cannot be termed a "proper allrounder" nor can he make it to the team with any primary skill alone and he doesn't have a set/regular role unlike the other guys in the team. But if you take all the aspects of his game into consideration, he fits in well and creates a good balance.
    Last edited by karan316; 25-03-2014 at 04:49 AM.
    Is this your homework Larry?

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    I dunno, NMac is clearly the best non-Vettori limited overs spinner NZ has. He'd probably still get selected if was Trent Boult-standard with the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I dunno, NMac is clearly the best non-Vettori limited overs spinner NZ has. He'd probably still get selected if was Trent Boult-standard with the bat.
    He even plays when Vettori is around, and that too, on pitches which don't offer much for spinners, so he's not there for his bowling alone.
    Last edited by karan316; 25-03-2014 at 06:28 AM.

Simon O'Donnell a good name for this thread IMO.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karan316 View Post
    Exactly, guys like Jayasuriya, Dilshan, Symonds, Waugh, Hooper, Miller and Johnson are surprising examples, they are just too good at their primary skills to be termed as utility players.

We are talking about cricketers who can't make it to the team with their primary skill alone. People who are selected for the overall contribution they can make in the team and fill in certain areas where the team is lacking. For e.g. Nathan McCullum, gives a decent spin bowling option along with lower order hitting. Obviously he cannot be termed a "proper allrounder" nor can he make it to the team with any primary skill alone and he doesn't have a set/regular role unlike the other guys in the team. But if you take all the aspects of his game into consideration, he fits in well and creates a good balance.
    There were times when Hooper batting was struggling and his bowling and especially slip catching (along with his unfilled potential) kept him on the team.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

I suppose we're talking about the old bob-each-way, bits-and-pieces kinda chaps then.

England had them in spades during Adam Hollioake's brief tenure as the ODI captain. Including, but probably not limited to Mathew Fleming, Ian Austin, Mark Ealham, Craig White and, obviously, skipper Skippy himself and his (sadly late) younger brother.

For my money tho, the archetype forever remains Roger "Rubbish"* Binny. Could hold the right end of a bat, bowled military medium dobbers and was probably India's player of the tournament in their maiden WC win.

*copyright The 12th Man.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    That Indian team was stuffed full of them - Madan Lal, Bal Singh and Kirti Azad cut from the same cloth

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Chris Cairns was a bit of a triple threat, batted, bowled and had one of the strongest arms in the outfield I've ever seen.

That said he was probably just useful enough in all areas to be rated as a genuine Test AR great.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Karachi 1989, a young man playing in his first test gets hit for 10 in his first over. A canny little bowler-ends up with 46 test wickets. Sachin?? something or other..........

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Using brumbers definition I'd nominate Eknath Solkar as the archetype - he was a fair batsman who usually batted in the lower middle order but occasionally went in first, and he also bowled medium pace in the days India used to have him and Abid Ali to bowl a few overs of seam to get the shine off the ball for Bedi et al - but I think he fits the description particularly well given that one of the main reasons he was picked for as many Tests as he was was because of his incredible fielding at short leg - certainly the best I ever saw and he looked all the more remarkable because some of his teammates had a tendency to be a bit off the pace in the field - he was a cracker was Ekkie
    karan316 likes this.

Robin Singh seems to fit the category aswell.

Mark Ealham wasn't the worst.

Going back to Brumby's post about Hollioake's side, I think Dougie Brown also played and certainly fits this particular bill.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information