• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 5 fastest bowlers in the world

RMF

Cricket Spectator
5 fastest bowlers in the world

who do u rate??
1.Shoaib
2.Brett Lee
3.Shane Bond
4.M Sami
5.M Ntini

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
In my view , if only one odd ball is to be considered then may be brett lee is no2 , but my list consists upon the bowlers who have over all best speed average per match (not including odd slower delivery).
1. Shoaib Akhtar.
2. Mohammad Sami .
3. Shane Bond .
4. Brett lee.
5. Atiq Rehman (member of Pakistani A side , Guy has bowled in 155's consistently in the nets , we are gonna see him in action in one year )

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't really think you can count unknown players.

1. Shoaib Ahktar
and then the rest are fairly equal IMO.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Akhar is clearly the quickest ATM , then Lee (when fit) is second , although since he's come back from injury he hasnt looked 100% & he's been in the high 130's :O

Then Bond (if he ever bowls again) , although sadly I fear that almost a year off may have robbed him of some pace.

Then Shaun Tait actually , he is bloody quick , quicker than Lee ATM & a huge deal quicker than Lee & Akhtar were at 20 years of age.
Ive only seen two games were he was clocked & he was hitting 149 , 150 pretty regularly , Lee at 20 was not nearly as quick , if injuries dont get to Tait to much he could be REALLY sharp.

Nantie Hayward , if he ever plays for South Africa again , he had genuine pace , could hit 150 quite comfortably when in the mood.

Then Mohammad Sami , if he really is the age he claims to be (which I seriously , really do doubt) then he could well be hitting 160 within 5 years , but I dont beleive him on his age , same as Waqar.

Eclipse

International Debutant
FRAZ said:
In my view , if only one odd ball is to be considered then may be brett lee is no2 , but my list consists upon the bowlers who have over all best speed average per match (not including odd slower delivery).
In 2002/2003 Lee had the fastest avrage match speed's of any bowler including Shoaib. He was genraly in the 150's every ball.
Shoaib still had the fastest delivery during that time though.

However that list make's sense because ever since Lee's tour to the WI last year his pace has been well down in the mid 140's and often in the 130's.

I cant wait to see Shaun Tait clocked I am betting he will be in the 150's.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree about Bond...he's said before that he wants to bowl the same speeds as Shoiab & Lee, if not quicker...but a long injury lay off like this and add into the fact that he's not getting any younger, he'll struggle to bowl quicker than 150 km's I think...lol which is still pretty fast when you think about it.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Lee looks well down on confidence...he's come off an injury & things aren't going right for him..bowlers like Lee & Shoaib have said before that you have to be totally in the zone to bowl quicker than 150 km's & Lee is clearly no way near the 'zone' at the moment.

FRAZ

International Captain
iamdavid said:
Akhar is clearly the quickest ATM , then Lee (when fit) is second , although since he's come back from injury he hasnt looked 100% & he's been in the high 130's :O

Then Bond (if he ever bowls again) , although sadly I fear that almost a year off may have robbed him of some pace.

Then Shaun Tait actually , he is bloody quick , quicker than Lee ATM & a huge deal quicker than Lee & Akhtar were at 20 years of age.
Ive only seen two games were he was clocked & he was hitting 149 , 150 pretty regularly , Lee at 20 was not nearly as quick , if injuries dont get to Tait to much he could be REALLY sharp.

Nantie Hayward , if he ever plays for South Africa again , he had genuine pace , could hit 150 quite comfortably when in the mood.

Then Mohammad Sami , if he really is the age he claims to be (which I seriously , really do doubt) then he could well be hitting 160 within 5 years , but I dont beleive him on his age , same as Waqar.
I think every one has realized now that these types of taunts and bulls upon any talented bowlers no matter if it is chuking sh** or age sh** , are no longer considered to be a good thing. And remember the PCB wrist test report which clearly showed that Sami's age is absolutely right which he tells.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Waqar Younis supposedly made his debut at 17 years 364 days old , he was clocked at over 150kph within his first month at test level.

Now it is normal for a player to reach their peak as far as pace goes at around 25 - 29 years of age , then slowly decline from there , by age 35 a player who was once a guenuinely quick bowler will be back with the pack as far as pace goes (eg Ambrose , Wasim , etc).

Waqar 'supposedly' hit his peak as far as pace went at 20 years of age , he then slowly went downhill from about 23.
By the time he was supposedly 30 all the pace which had made him so succesful ealier on had vanished.
He was averageing 128-133kph.
Rather than 145-152 as was the case when he was 20.

So.
Was Waqar just an unusually mature 17 year old.
Or was he a 21 year old (as I suspect) who set the clock back 4 years to gain attention , selectorial favour & possibly lend a hand with a few national under age sides.

I think it happens quite alot in Pakistan & Bangladesh.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
let's not talk up Shaun Tait too much shall we.

I've seen a lot of pace prodigies built up as the next big thing and then fall away dramatically.

Let's see what he does when and if he gains national selection.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
FRAZ said:
On the contrary,Lee has usually had more consistent pace than aktar over the years.
In all the series that ive watched them play together anyway.
Aktar seemed to blow a gasket to deliver his effort ball while lee was super smooth.

Lee fully fit is at least a match for aktar for pace.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I've seen a lot of pace prodigies built up as the next big thing and then fall away dramatically.
I think Simon Jones, Stephen Harmison, Jermaine Lawson, Hayward, Ngam, Dilhara and a lot of Indian 'fast' bowlers ended up that way. Any other famous examples?

My vote goes for Pollock, Akhtar, Ntini, Williams and Gillespie, of all those in action today.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
NOTE: I have based this on what would happen if bowlers I have seen (that are well known) bowled a normal days spell right now.

Ranked On Predicted Average Speed

1. Akhtar
2. Ntini
3. Sami
4. Gillespie
5. Nel

Ranked On Predicted Top Speed

1. Akhtar
2. Sami
3. Gillespie
4. Butler
5. Nel/Ntini/Lee

iamdavid

International Debutant
Arjun said:
My vote goes for Pollock, Akhtar, Ntini, Williams and Gillespie, of all those in action today.
Pollock :O

You mean Shaun Mclean Pollock :O

He's certainly one of the better seamers around ATM but by no stretch of the imagination is he one of the quickest.
He averages around the 128kph mark , meanwhile Lee & Sami who both average high 140's are absent from you're list :P

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He probably msiread the topic as Top 5 Fast Bowlers In The World, as I did intially. I only recognised my error when I read the topic. IMO the topic should read Fastest 5 Bolwers In The World.

I dont mean to be picky but thats two people who seem to have misread it, as it isnt correct anyway.

Really no big drama, but I definately understand why he put Pollock. Read the rest of his post, he doesnt say anything about speed at all.

FRAZ

International Captain
Eclipse said:
In 2002/2003 Lee had the fastest avrage match speed's of any bowler including Shoaib. He was genraly in the 150's every ball.
Shoaib still had the fastest delivery during that time though.

However that list make's sense because ever since Lee's tour to the WI last year his pace has been well down in the mid 140's and often in the 130's.

I cant wait to see Shaun Tait clocked I am betting he will be in the 150's.
I like it . A patriotic Aussie........::lol:

iamdavid

International Debutant
Prince EWS said:
He probably msiread the topic as Top 5 Fast Bowlers In The World, as I did intially. I only recognised my error when I read the topic. IMO the topic should read Fastest 5 Bolwers In The World.

I dont mean to be picky but thats two people who seem to have misread it, as it isnt correct anyway.

Really no big drama, but I definately understand why he put Pollock. Read the rest of his post, he doesnt say anything about speed at all.
If he thought it was best 5 bowlers then its even funnier - he had Williams in there :lol: :lol: