• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 5 fastest bowlers in the world

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
160kph = 100mph

AFAIK, only 1 bowler has hit 100mph.
As neil said 160.93 =100mph

But Lee recorded speed's just a touch over 160 on two occasion's once against England and he also bowled Marvin Attipatu with one at about 160.01.

Having said that the the higher altitude does help bowlers bowl faster and that's why so many bowlers recorded there fastest ever speeds.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well you have to wonder about some of the speed guns in South Africa...i mean, Nehra barely reached 135 km's in Australia & NZ, yet in South Africa he was close to 150 km's..likewise with Zaheer, who has hardly reached 140 km's this season.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Tim said:
Well you have to wonder about some of the speed guns in South Africa...i mean, Nehra barely reached 135 km's in Australia & NZ, yet in South Africa he was close to 150 km's..likewise with Zaheer, who has hardly reached 140 km's this season.
They were exactly the same speed gun's used in the test matches here in Australia.

You would be very supprised just how much of a diffrence the higher altitude make's.

Just go have a look at Golfing statistics they hit the ball miles up there.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah fair call...although if Nehra had his pace increased by around 12 km's...why didn't Shoaib, Lee, Bond etc go well up over 160 ?

Eclipse

International Debutant
Tim said:
Yeah fair call...although if Nehra had his pace increased by around 12 km's...why didn't Shoaib, Lee, Bond etc go well up over 160 ?
I dont know but my guess is he was just fitter.

he has had quite a few injury's since then

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Jermaine Lawson is quite quick and Jerome Taylor and Fidel Edwards aren't bad either.
Edwards would come close to 160 is bowling at the WACA with the Fremantle Doctor in his back.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
yeah Nehra did clock 149 km'hr at the World Cup (in Bulawayo) -- if it really wasn't 149, then it was fairly quick nonetheless.
I remember Andy Flower having a lot of problems with Nehra in that game.

To be fair to him, he's coming back from a pretty serious ankle injury -- both he and Zaheer can clock mid 140's when fully fit and when they want to.

BTW, AA clocked 146 km'hr in the Sydney test which is a little surprising.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jamesryfler said:
well according to marc, you couldn't rely on the speeds recorded
in the world cup because of the rarefied South African atmosphere
or the faulty speed guns used or something.....
You don't think it's at all dubious that the speeds attained by a lot of bowlers in the WC have not even been approached before or after the tournament?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fact - a ball will travel faster at altitude.
Fact - so many bowlers produced their fastest-ever balls in WC2003.
Fact - no-one has got near those speeds since.

You do the maths.