• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Domestic Season 2014

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Morgan gets a golden to start the season, evergreen Jon Lewis on a hattrick
:laugh:

Never change Eoin.
My dad bought me a copy of All Out Cricket the other day. They had "experts pick the England test team" thing. I saw Morgan was in the composite team and I haven't touched the magazine since.

It seriously amazes me how people want him anywhere near the test team.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
He's the English Phil Hughes in that respect - when he's not in the team, everyone* wants him in it. When he finally gets in, everyone wants him straight back out. Rinse and repeat.

See also: Ravi Bopara.

*by 'everyone' I mean the casual fan, not CWers

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
More akin to Bailey imo. Least Hughes scores runs in fc cricket. Hughes is closer to James Taylor.

Also regarding Jarvis. It's not like any of you know how he's bowling in pre season or anything. Who knows what's happening? Plenty of young overseas bowlers come here with good reps but can't put anything together in english conditions for a while.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Kind of. There also polar opposites in that Hughes has got loads of runs in FC and never been given a long go in the test team. Morgan's never made Championship runs and got a 10 game run in the side.

Edit: Responding to Dan with that one. Bailey definitely a better example.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Kind of. There also polar opposites in that Hughes has got loads of runs in FC and never been given a long go in the test team. Morgan's never made Championship runs and got a 10 game run in the side.

Edit: Responding to Dan with that one. Bailey definitely a better example.
Yeah, understand the difference there - not comparing them as batsmen whatsoever. You're completely right there.

Just in terms of media going "oh let's get him in there, oh **** get him back out", they're not dissimilar.

Bailey definitely a good comparison. Especially wrt hair, leadership ability and ODI gun-ness.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can anybody explain to me how come Joss Buttler needs a break after the World T20 and Alex Hales doesn't?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Can anybody explain to me how come Joss Buttler needs a break after the World T20 and Alex Hales doesn't?
Butler played the ODIs in Australia and the West Indies as well so he's been on the road playing cricket for a lot longer I suppose.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Butler played the ODIs in Australia and the West Indies as well so he's been on the abroad playing cricket for a lot longer I suppose.
Still not happy, but thanks for that - makes some sense, though would make rather more if Eoin Morgan weren't playing too, not that it did him or Middlesex a lot of good

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
FFS Cabinet, I make a post that literally only you are going to get and you still don't get it. :p

Finn and TRJ are the El Fenix opening bowlers, but they're both playing for Middlesex here and neither of them can get the new ball. Just found it amusing that a county side was so much better as such.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Interesting battle between Prior and Finn. Both trying to regain their place in the test side and both could if they get some form together.