• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Domestic Season 2014

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good thing about England going out is that I might get to see Moeen at the Rose Bowl.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
This pre season has been disastrous for northants. Bird now out of the whole season(but obviously can bring in another overseas but hard to get better than Bird). Wakely out for the season. Willey not bowling yet. Duckett struggling with his knees. Something else that I can't remember.

Not a big squad either.

Must be pretty galling given the high they were on from promotion.

theegyptian

Championship: Warwickshire
Relegated: Northants, Sussex
Div 2 Promoted: Hampshire, Derbyshire
Bottom: Leicestershire or Worcestershire if Ajmal (literally) doesn’t turn up.

Tougher to predict than normal because so much is up in the air with England. If Onions plays for England all summer Durham could easily go down (but I said that last year).

May not think county cricket is great at producing england cricketers but I do love all the cricket on a personal level. Just loads of stuff to follow, statistics and good honest cricket. Looking forward to it.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Twenty minutes until play starts in the Parks, and so long as this queue in Barclays starts moving faster than an English T20 innings, I might get there to watch it, complete with thick coat. Not a morning when you want to bat... or indeed one when you want the ball hit in your direction. One of those few days the keeper might be able to start feeling smug; until the ball dips late and cannons into his finger end. About half a mile away now, but everything says win toss and bowl... which the students have promptly done.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Good start for the students. Mullaney cleaned up second ball and then Patel nicked off, fencing at a widish one without really moving his feet.

Kelsall 11, Wessels 7, 36/2 in the 11th

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
... and too excited by the prospect of more to keep it adequately pitched up for the rest of the morning. Maiden FC 50 for Sam Kelsall and Notts reasonably untroubled but for a sharp gully catch to remove Riki Wessels. Notts have a side full of seam bowlers though so if one goes quickly in the afternoon then they may be exposed. 107/3 at lunch.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Notts all out 237.

Alex Hales down in the nets hitting some one-hand drills. A long way from Chittagong...

He has, however, won himself huge numbers of brownie points in my eyes and in the eyes of one of my Oxford U10s by letting him bowl a dozen balls at him whilst waiting for his batting coach. Came across as a really decent bloke.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I dont understand why the matches vs Uni Sides are first class ones.

Who was the last player from a Uni Side to play for England?

Pothas

Atherton and Crawley both played for Cambridge.

Strauss went to Durham but I don't know if they played games against county sides back then.

theegyptian

TBF to the universities they are producing more and more players for county cricket. I think it's like a 1/5 of all the English eligible players at present who came through the MCCUs.

Dalyrmple, Loudon, Foster are fairly recent guys to play for England but there will be a lot more imo in the future. Loads of guys are getting county contracts these days. A lot of them are allready with counties but a load dropped out of county selection at a young age and are improving and been picked up again.

Reece, Ansari, Burns, Riley, Billings are five of the better guys who are just starting to break through but there are loads.

The games may not always be the most competitive but that's not surprising given the preparation that the counties do as opposed to the universities. I never look at the first class figures these days anywhere. Just stick to the county championship figures. They do give the counties a good chance to scout the universities for good players though.

theegyptian

Yes most teams now have 3 or 4 who came through the uni setup - some of whom were already affiliated with a county or some who got picked up as a result of their uni performances

Panesar came through loughborough but I think he was contracted to Northants as well.

Craddock is a good example tho. A player who went to uni with no county contract but improved and moved around some second team cricket and unicorns then got signed up.

Wish Gloucestershire had signed him up. Gonna be stuck behind Monty again this season at Essex.

Last edited:

chris.hinton

International Captain
Still does not mean that the game should be first class status.

Counties would be better off playing League xis

Pothas

Who cares though really? Is one of those thing people complain about every year and yeah they are probably right but it makes no real difference to anything.