• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Domestic Season 2014

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looks like the pitch inspectors have a bit of work with Northampton and Lord's. Be interesting if either are deemed poor.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I doubt it. It's just rained lots (at least it has down in glos) over the last couple of days. Wickets are always gonna have lots in them when conditions are like they are.

Interestingly Derby are the only team to bat first. Presumably the Ajmal (and Ali) effect

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I doubt it. It's just rained lots (at least it has down in glos) over the last couple of days. Wickets are always gonna have lots in them when conditions are like they are.

Interestingly Derby are the only team to bat first. Presumably the Ajmal (and Ali) effect
I'm sure Moore and Godleman thought that was a great decision.....

stumpski

International Captain
Wickets tumbling late in the day at Trent Bridge, the follow-on looks highly likely - and Warks would be mad not to enforce it with all this weather about.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Happy enough with that from Hampshire. Weather looks **** for the rest of the game so bound to be a draw but hope we can get maximum batting points out of it.

91Jmay

International Coach
Hope we knock them over before lunch tomorrow and hopefully can enforce. Middle order looks really soft though, sans Bell as will be the case for a lot of the summer.

theegyptian

I was thinking about England and the potential current test team. I don't really see any of the top 5 or 6 who are potentially gonna score at more than 50 sr.

None of the new players suggested to be close to selection are aggresive bats. More accumulators who at best will finish their career with a strike rate of 50. Ballance, Taylor, Robson. Include them with Cook, Root, Bell, Compton? and it is a pretty prosaic one paced top order.

Now there is nothing wrong with any of this but I feel it does leave spots open in the team for more naturally aggresive strokeplayers. There aren't many who I'd say are the dominant type in county cricket who are actually much good.

I do feel that someone like Vince who naturally scores quickly and is really starting to dominate (albeit in the second division) stands out for this reason. He isn't ready at present but because there is a surplus of the accumulator/solid type and a lack of the dominant/ naturally fast scoring bats Vince will be appealing.

I actually wouldn'd be surprised if Vince gets a callup to the T20 or ODI team this summer.

Bound to fail today after I've talked him up.

Sounds like Davies has had a terrible game with the gloves. Dropped two yesterday and given away a load of byes. Not a good time to be having a bad time behind the stumps.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Vince going along really nicely so far today, just moved to 58 off 71. I certainly wouldn't be against him being given a chance, would much rather see him given a go than Eoin Morgan. Talking of Morgan, just been dismissed for 33 by Sidearse, who's now taken 4/32, his 4th 4-wicket haul of the season so far. #BringBackSidey

Edit: As I typed that, Vince plundered Dunn for 4 boundaries in 5 balls to move to 77 from 77. Get him in.

Last edited:

theegyptian

Vince going along really nicely so far today, just moved to 58 off 71. I certainly wouldn't be against him being given a chance, would much rather see him given a go than Eoin Morgan. Talking of Morgan, just been dismissed for 33 by Sidearse, who's now taken 4/32, his 4th 4-wicket haul of the season so far. #BringBackSidey

Edit: As I typed that, Vince plundered Dunn for 4 boundaries in 5 balls to move to 77 from 77. Get him in.
Yes I really hope Morgan doesn't come back either. Still the problem will be if they over promote Vince when he isn't ready because of the lack of natural strokeplayers. At present though he is in excellent form so it wouldn't be a bad time to blood him in the T20 or ODI side and see how he goes and looks.

King Pietersen

International Captain
He's done a lot more than a few other guys that are being talked up. Averaged over 60 last season, with 5 centuries, and before today, was averaging over 90 this season. This innings could really catch the eye of the selectors. Hard to ignore a guy who's averaging over 100, and getting them at a run a ball.

theegyptian

yes but it is div 2. And I'd suggest players like Taylor, Ballance, Robson and Compton have done it all in div 1 and with the lions. Vince hasn't really delivered with the lions as of yet.

stumpski

International Captain
Yeah, surprising to see Warks bat again and at 149-9 it's hardly been a success - but maybe the pitch is just breaking up, in which case the 300 lead looks unbeatable. Also a shock to see Leics getting 500, I don't think they managed that last season. No first-team games yet for Freckingham, who was virtually a constant presence last year.

theegyptian

I'd be pissed if I was Ali and England. Ajmal gonna b bowling all my overs. Doubt Ali gets the callup to the ODI teams either.

91Jmay

International Coach
If we ****ing lose this...

Still, I am not confident at all about this year. Our batting has serious issues, Javid/Evans not kicking on at all at present.