Page 2 of 139 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: ***Official*** English Domestic Season 2014

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    My predicted Lancs FC team to start the season (Jimmy said he is available for at least the first 5 possibly 7 CC games.

Reece
    Horton
    Prince
    Croft
    Butler
    Procter
    Smith
    Hogg
    Chapple/Jarvis
    Anderson
    Kerrigan

Croft has been gash in FC recently but without Katich there isn't much choice (we aren't getting an overseas player) and he does provide a second spin option. Almost too many seam options.
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Chapple is incredible. Was bowling mid 80's on a couple of sky games last year at 39 and really well. Not even sure he bowled mid 80's at 29. Really is some top qualitty stuff to still be bowling as consistently good as he does at this age.

Any of you Lanky guys know much about Livingstone? I know he did well for the seconds last year and got a contract - and gives the ball an almighty thump when he is batting. Might get some one day cricket this year?

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    This time of year I always think Lancs will go through the season unbeaten, and I'm never right of course - this year is no different and that batting lineup looks to have some potential, although it could easily be as brittle as ever - would be a whole lot happier if the name Chanderpaul was in there

But if we really can't score any runs we'll just have to produce a few dust bowls and play Parry with Kegga and rout the oppo

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Jarvis potentially not making the starting XI shows the ridiculous depth there is in seamers at Lancashire. Anderson, Chapple, Hogg, Jarvis, Kabir, Newby - combine any 3 and you have a more-than-FC standard attack. Add in Kerrigan and Parry, and it may be very tempting to duck across to the NSW School of Selection and pick the following:

1. Reece
    2. Horton
    3. Prince
    4. Procter
    5. Buttler +
    6. Smith
    7. Hogg
    8. Chapple
    9. Anderson
    10. Kerrigan
    11. Jarvis

^long tail with Anderson, Kerrigan and Jarvis - I think especially if Jimmy is playing we don't need 4 seamers +Smith/Procter/Reece. Not much of a build up before the season either, we are playing a few mm cricket games in Dubai and only one 2 day friendly as far as I can see. I think Jarvis will start in the seconds but the CC games come thick and fast in April and May, can't see Chapple playing all of them. Think Jarvis will be a regular by the end of the season but by then we won't have Jimmy.

Anyway, was going to say it was a weak looking Durham attack in the season opener, given Onions, Wood etc are out but all three of Rushword, Arshad and Harrison average under 25 (albeit a small sample size in Arshad and Harrisons case), so maybe more inexperienced than weak. Is Wood injured?

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    ^long tail with Anderson, Kerrigan and Jarvis - I think especially if Jimmy is playing we don't need 4 seamers +Smith/Procter/Reece. Not much of a build up before the season either, we are playing a few mm cricket games in Dubai and only one 2 day friendly as far as I can see. I think Jarvis will start in the seconds but the CC games come thick and fast in April and May, can't see Chapple playing all of them. Think Jarvis will be a regular by the end of the season but by then we won't have Jimmy.
    Yeah, as I said in my post it was a NSW-style team, where they regularly pick 7 or 8 bowling options including a bowling all-rounder at 7

Ooh a scorecard how exciting

Big season for Gregory, reckon it'll be the year he dominates TBH. In the England ODI squad by the end of the year.

Bell-Drummond and Reece an exciting partnership for MCC.
    Last edited by grecian; 24-03-2014 at 08:36 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Sehwag managed to get out to Borthwick, Durham having a bit of a comeback, MCC gone from 169-1 to 235-6

Rayner going after Borthwick a bit here. Clever move for him, if it works.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Ooh a scorecard how exciting

Big season for Gregory, reckon it'll be the year he dominates TBH. In the England ODI squad by the end of the year.
    Not sure he's a one day player tbh. I find him a curious case anyway. Somerset seem to rate his batting higher, but from what I've seen a followed his bowling definitely seems the stronger suit. If he can uncover that batting potential they seem to think he has could become a real good player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Not sure he's a one day player tbh. I find him a curious case anyway. Somerset seem to rate his batting higher, but from what I've seen a followed his bowling definitely seems the stronger suit. If he can uncover that batting potential they seem to think he has could become a real good player.
    Yes certainly remember Trescothick raving about his potential as a batsman, his bowling doesn't look too shabby either mind.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Oh, I'm just going on what the selectors do, picking players for ODIs first. Not saying it's right.

Yes, his mythical batting ability, would come in handy.

I'll have a dozen please, size XXXXL please.

International Vice-Captain
    Anyone know of any players on trial for Counties this year?

Grecian tries too hard to be me

Page 2 of 139 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread Information