• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No draw after the 1st innings

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
In First Class Cricket (not limited-over Cricket), there are draws when game does not finish in 4 or 5 days.
However, I think that there should not be draws if after finishing 1st innings. When 2nd innings does not finish, the result should be decided by the result of 1st innings.
Please tell me what you think.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
In First Class Cricket (not limited-over Cricket), there are draws when game does not finish in 4 or 5 days.
However, I think that there should not be draws if after finishing 1st innings. When 2nd innings does not finish, the result should be decided by the result of 1st innings.
Please tell me what you think.
No. The Ranji has a similar system where teams get points for first innings lead and it's the stupidest thing.

Spark

Global Moderator
So do we tbf and it works ok. In fact you could argue the outright win incentive is too strong, or was in the recent past

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For years we had first innings points in the County Championship and by the 1960s it had almost killed it, as captains always had an eye on the first innings points and some games turned into mind-numbingly dull battles of attrition for a first innings lead - I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did - dreadful idea

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
For years we had first innings points in the County Championship and by the 1960s it had almost killed it, as captains always had an eye on the first innings points and some games turned into mind-numbingly dull battles of attrition for a first innings lead - I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did - dreadful idea
This. Takes out what is unique about 2 innings cricket. The draw is a needed component.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
This. Takes out what is unique about 2 innings cricket. The draw is a needed component.
Indeed, and it is incredibly presumptuous of people that don't understand/appreciate this point to suggest it is a problem that needs fixing.

Cricket has given these people the LO stuff.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't see much of a problem with first innings points if the incentive for an outright win is strong enough. Regarding the OP, if the result was decided by first innings in the case of a draw that would create an interesting dynamic, but ultimately it could end in dull cricket with one team happy to allow the game to drift into a draw with a first innings lead in the bag, might be interesting with the other team trying to force a result though

Last edited: