• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scathing article by Vaughan on Trott

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't really know why its the ECB's fault and maybe Trott can be partly blamed himself for his stupid remarks that provoked a justifiable response from Vaughan.
Can't blame the ECB if Trott was denying the fact there was a real problem. Hopefully he can now get sorted properly and at some stage come back and enjoy his cricket again. International career surely over though.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Trott really had to give the interviews he did if he wanted to get back playing for England (which he clearly did). There would have been too much speculation and otherwise in that regards. And just as people are now bashing the ECB for him doing the interview, if they hadn't everybody would have been complaining about the lack of transparency and openness with the press and public. ECB are rather damned if they do, damned if they don't currently.

Anyway peace out Trott. Better now than when playing for England again.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Rather sordid little episode this has turned into. No one seems to emerge with any credit at all; a scenario that, as followers of the never ending soap that is English cricket, we're regrettably not unfamiliar with

Wish IJLT all the best for his recovery.

If he is able to get his health back to where it needs to be one sincerely hopes there will be no more misguided interviews.

flibbertyjibber

I wonder whether the Vaughan comments come from a deep loathing of Trott which dates back to his days as captain. Remember the digs when Trott was first selected about the fact Trott was in the SA dressing room celebrating only 12 months earlier. It appears Vaughan has never moved on.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The ECB should not have let Trott do the interview with Sky, as I've said on many occasions it was an almost exact replica of the Tres one which Marcus said was one of his deepest regrets from his going. They could have stopped him too, they had prior notice and he's their employee, letting a man in a vulnerable place into that situation, when clearly his mind wasn't right, is practically employer negligence. Oh the press may have criticised ECB if he had kept a silence, but **** the cretins in the Press their primary concern should have been for the welfare of the player. Not Martin Samuel blubbering on about bad PR. Again it may not seem so shoddy if exactly the same damn thing hadn't happened within a decade.

Could people please stop criticising the admittedly crass things Trott said in the interview, he clearly shouldn't have been doing it, end of story.

grecian

Michael Vaughan is a ****ing ****. I can't believe anyone takes anything he says seriously.
I may have mentioned this before, but I'm not sure I've ever been so disillusioned by a bloke once he became a member of the Press. Yeah, Gough and Botham were great on the field, but you always expected they were ****s off it, and so has been proved.

Yet MPV seemed such a great batsman, decent bloke, no controversies, and gave us that Ashes win, I'm so annoyed that he's turned into such a trolling cretin.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dobell's comments in the article about the ECB are pretty damning:

George Dobell said:
It may also raise questions about the ECB's handling of the affair. While Trott was full of praise for the compassion shown by Andy Flower, his team-mates and Hugh Morris at the time of his breakdown in Australia, the ECB's support has been less obvious since Trott returned to England.

It is understood that there has been little communication with the ECB and, in particular, the England team management and instead of the support that was promised, Trott has at times cut an isolated and forgotten figure.
Admittedly there's something of a power vacuum at the top just now, but Team England (pauses to vomit) seem to have as many support staff on tour as players. Surely some kind of support for a supposedly valuable employee wasn't too much to expect?

Spark

Global Moderator
Can't blame the ECB if Trott was denying the fact there was a real problem. Hopefully he can now get sorted properly and at some stage come back and enjoy his cricket again. International career surely over though.
Any psychologist with ten minutes' professional experience dealing with mental health issues would've been able to warn them that this might happen though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Michael Vaughan is a ****ing ****. I can't believe anyone takes anything he says seriously.
Agree, but all the English fans loved him when he just trolled Indian and other opposition fans though. Suddenly he's a **** to his own team and wahhh.

He is a dickhead, and has always been a dickhead since being in the press.

Last edited:

grecian

Agree, but all the English fans loved him when he just trolled Indian and other opposition fans though. Suddenly he's a **** to his own team and wahhh.

He is a dickhead, and has always been a dickhead.
Crap post Jono, I thought the trolling of India was pathetic, and it was what made me start to think he was a dickhead.

Spikey

Any psychologist with ten minutes' professional experience dealing with mental health issues would've been able to warn them that this might happen though.
i hope you are not thinking of blaming the ecb

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Crap post Jono, I thought the trolling of India was pathetic, and it was what made me start to think he was a dickhead.
You're in the minority then, during the horror 4-0 the amount of praise Vaughan and Flintoff got on here when they mocked the entire Indian team and made statements on Twitter not because they believed them, but because they knew it'd rile up Indian fans, was gigantic.

Now that Indian tour of England did see a disgraceful period where Indian and England fans went at it on these message boards like they were animals, and maybe that played a part in everyone thinking Vaughan was a legend for being a dickhead, but it was embarrassing stuff. Flintoff fair enough he's always seemed daft but Vaughan's comments then and since are unbecoming of a former captain.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sorry I just realised my initial post said "all England fans" so fair enough. That was just used as a casual turn of phrase. Nevertheless he was ridiculously popular in 2011.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I dunno you know Jono. Vaughan has been pretty disliked on this forum pretty much since retirement IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I recall him being praised back during that 2011 series but again, if that was just because almost every Indian and Englishman on here turned disgustingly agro for 3 months and Vaughan then temporarily became a hero for his ****ty tweets fair enough.

grecian

Sorry I just realised my initial post said "all England fans" so fair enough. That was just used as a casual turn of phrase. Nevertheless he was ridiculously popular in 2011.
The "all England fans was why I said it was a poor post, Yet I'd think it was a minority on here anyway as Gimp said. I never went in for the India hate BTW.

Flintoff is a bit odder, I think his trolling tends to be more amiable than anything, and all to do with the Ganguly thing, but yeah he's not a bright light in the media either.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

I recall him being praised back during that 2011 series but again, if that was just because almost every Indian and Englishman on here turned disgustingly agro for 3 months and Vaughan then temporarily became a hero for his ****ty tweets fair enough.
Vaughan was only being an English version of Shastri. Shastri and Gavaskar spouted so much garbage before the series that Flintoff and Vaughan were just giving it back later on. The fact that Indian fans didn't like it made it funnier for the rest of us.