• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scathing article by Vaughan on Trott

Spark

Global Moderator
SEN asking whether Trott should ever be allowed to play for England again.

Tim Watson calling Trott a coward.

Oh man this is getting horrible over here.
this is the same tim watson who begged everyone to stop being mean to jobe watson, yes?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Just like to say that your posts have been gun in this thread Steve........terrific input.

I made a knee jerk comment yesterday that I was with Vaughan and felt "conned", now that I've had time to think about it that's not the case at all and Vaughans article was probably harsh. As has been pointed out neither the ECB nor Trott ever used the word "depression" and I think it is true we all made a lot of assumptions.

I do still think the Trott interview was poor and it has done nothing for anyone, not Trott, not the ECB and certainly not those that do suffer with debilitating mental health issues. He was either poorly advised or not on his game to make the comments he did.
You must wreck furniture constantly with the amount of knee-jerking you do.

PaulieGualtieri

Cricket Spectator
What difference does it make if he was burnt out or depressed?.

In both situations, going home is valid.

What positives would the ECB take from claiming he was depressed?. A burn out can be remedied, depression is a possible career ending illness.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Suddenly occurred to me that Vaughan actually has previously with Trott.

He accused him of celebrating with the South Africans after their win at The Oval in 2008. The Guardian.

Doesn't necessarily negate his opinion, but does suggest MPV isn't maybe the most dispassionate commentator on the subject as it's a fair guess they aren't bosom buds.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
You do have to wonder why Trott was saying comments that were eerily similar to Trescothick like "I couldn't face the guys at breakfast"- "I always sat on my own" I mean someone with burnout could obviously and quite understandably feel isolated from his teammates. Let's also not forget that Trott has been going through a pretty lean spell by his standards over the last year. It must be quite hard to deal with a situation where he was averaging roughly 60 after 20 tests and seeing his average slowly decrease.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What difference does it make if he was burnt out or depressed?.

In both situations, going home is valid.

What positives would the ECB take from claiming he was depressed?. A burn out can be remedied, depression is a possible career ending illness.
Less likely to face being blamed. If it was burn-out (for some definition of burn-out) then questions would be asked about okaying a schedule of two Ashes series immediately after an away tour to NZ. Depression is something they'll claim is out of their control.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
From the Guardian

The latest rumours on Jonathan Trott – who is apparently Completely Fine Now – suggest that England's players will be asked to decide whether they want him back in the team. It is hard to know what is more wretched in all this. Ex-cricketers in the media noisily passing themselves off as mental health professionals. Or the idea that the best-placed individuals to make finely poised decisions on another individual's mental wellbeing are Joe Root and Tim Bresnan. Only two things are certain here. The ECB has handled this terribly, and shown itself once again to be incapable of treating press or public as grown-ups, or indeed anything other than entities to be repeatedly massaged and misled. And secondly nobody, including Trott himself, has any real idea what's going on here. A team of high-speed Freudian analysts given 24-hour rolling access to the Trott cranium would, at this stage, content themselves with looking over the top of their glasses with a patient smile and saying, "hmm, why do you think it is you feel you need to know so soon what, if anything at all, is up with Jonathan Trott's inner Jonathan Trott?" These are interminably complex issues. Even those who have suffered burnout, depression, feeling bad and so on are perhaps not the best judges of whatever it is that has happened to them. The fact is there is simply no point in having an opinion on any of this. We do not know. Nobody knows. Let it play itself out. Hopefully a man who was unhappy will end up feeling less unhappy. Everything else is just noise.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Trott's comments correlating depression with the mindset of a "nutcase" should be put into context. Watching it, the guy was clearly wary of giving the interview, and secondly, he was actually talking about what the fan's perspective of his walkout. Maybe I'm reading it wrong - but I doubt that this is Trott's opinion on depression.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
From the Guardian

The latest rumours on Jonathan Trott – who is apparently Completely Fine Now – suggest that England's players will be asked to decide whether they want him back in the team. It is hard to know what is more wretched in all this. Ex-cricketers in the media noisily passing themselves off as mental health professionals. Or the idea that the best-placed individuals to make finely poised decisions on another individual's mental wellbeing are Joe Root and Tim Bresnan. Only two things are certain here. The ECB has handled this terribly, and shown itself once again to be incapable of treating press or public as grown-ups, or indeed anything other than entities to be repeatedly massaged and misled. And secondly nobody, including Trott himself, has any real idea what's going on here. A team of high-speed Freudian analysts given 24-hour rolling access to the Trott cranium would, at this stage, content themselves with looking over the top of their glasses with a patient smile and saying, "hmm, why do you think it is you feel you need to know so soon what, if anything at all, is up with Jonathan Trott's inner Jonathan Trott?" These are interminably complex issues. Even those who have suffered burnout, depression, feeling bad and so on are perhaps not the best judges of whatever it is that has happened to them. The fact is there is simply no point in having an opinion on any of this. We do not know. Nobody knows. Let it play itself out. Hopefully a man who was unhappy will end up feeling less unhappy. Everything else is just noise.
Brilliant!!

I think the bolded lines there just sum this situation up perfectly.

I do hope to see Trott playing for England again.......God knows we need him!! But I do think some productive time in CC is in order before there is any talk of his return.

PaulieGualtieri

Cricket Spectator
Less likely to face being blamed. If it was burn-out (for some definition of burn-out) then questions would be asked about okaying a schedule of two Ashes series immediately after an away tour to NZ. Depression is something they'll claim is out of their control.
Ah right, I understand.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England Cricket News: Jonathan Trott stands down after relapse | ESPN Cricinfo All very predictable I'm afraid, nobody has learnt anything from Tres.

Well it all sounds eerily familiar to Tres actually, when he gave a similar shambolic interview to Sky denying he had been depressed. Something he deeply regrets now.

I don't really like the way this is going, and thing we should lay off the condemnation until it all pans out. Yet it seems the England Team have learnt nothing, this interview just intensifies all the pressure he'll be under. cluster****.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Ugh, horrible. The ECB's handling of this, and most situations over the last 6 months or more, has been nothing short of disgraceful.

grecian

Ugh, horrible. The ECB's handling of this, and most situations over the last 6 months or more, has been nothing short of disgraceful.
ECB have been shocking, but why I bumped this thread is for the Opening Post, I remember thinking it was just an incredibly insensitive article. The man (MPV) was in the side when Tres was going through his problems. Obviously Piers Morgan and others publically calling him a coward didn't help either.

As I thought the entire symathy for tres was skin-deep, they probably bought his book and didn't bother to read it, thinking that shows my sensitive side. Then soon as the near-identical situation comes along they're back with their ****ing ignorance.

Still it's a society where IDS hounds the disabled and is cheered by a huge amount of people, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's incredibly negligent and beggars belief that the lessons were not learned the first time round. It wasn't even that long ago for god's sake.

the big bambino

International Captain
Don't really know why its the ECB's fault and maybe Trott can be partly blamed himself for his stupid remarks that provoked a justifiable response from Vaughan.

fredfertang

I've known people from my profession go off with "stress-related" illnesses - they always come back, poor bastards have to earn a living after all, but they're never the same again

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Terrible news.

Michael Vaughan has been a whopper throughout this saga, I wonder what he will say for himself now?