• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scathing article by Vaughan on Trott

Hooksey

Banned
Both Swann and Trott should NOT have gone on the tour if they knew they weren't up to it prior to leaving as piking out half-way is clearly upsetting to the team.

However, that implies, and I would hazard a guess, that the England management weren't listening, or didn't want to listen to their players - "just buck-up and get on the god damned plane".

Something appeared to be patholgically wrong at the managament level during the whole Ashes tour.
They appear to have failed from the top down and that is reflected by the virtual spill of positions since.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Vaughan says the only other time Trott faced top-quality pace was South Africa away but even ignoring the fact they bowled better in England this overlooks his MOTS performance V Pakistan in 2010

I saw bits of the interview last night and I don't think it's quite as simple as Vaughan is making out

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Also, benchmark and maybe others were at pains to point out nobody in Team England had used the word 'depression'. Flower called it a stress related condition which obviously triggered the Tresco memories but it seems like everybody is mad because they made the wrong assumption. Trott himself never came out and said anything. I don't think people are really right to feel lied to etc.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also, benchmark and maybe others were at pains to point out nobody in Team England had used the word 'depression'. Flower called it a stress related condition which obviously triggered the Tresco memories but it seems like everybody is mad because they made the wrong assumption. Trott himself never came out and said anything. I don't think people are really right to feel lied to etc.
A much better policy than the one he adopts now - what a ****wit - can't imagine what he hoped to achieve

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I thought personally the whole interview screamed of denial. A caption was shown that said Trott is now working with a psychologist. Not a sports psychologist, but a clinical one.

I don't for one second claim to be any expert, but that seems a more likely scenario for someone suffering from some manner of stress/depressive type illness rather than "burnout".

My read from the outside is the coaching staff want him back ASAP and believed it'd look more seemly to rush back someone who was knackered rather than a chap who may well have been depressed. Or on the road towards it.

In this age of media training I would also suspect that the ECB handlers had a pretty decent idea of what was going to be said beforehand. If that is so they really want to be made to swallow hemlock.

the big bambino

International Captain
Vaughan's article was brilliant. He has been where Trott has lately. He can authentically stand in Trott's stead and has the reflective capacity to appraise the pressures a player faces more honestly than Trott; and better explain what he was actually going through than Trott himself.

Pothas

Yeah there was always a danger of people thinking that his situation was the same as Trescothick's when it may not have been at all alike. The little bits of the interview I have seen have not come across all that badly but I have not seen the bits Vaughan refers to, they certainly don't sound good at all.

grecian

Yeah there was always a danger of people thinking that his situation was the same as Trescothick's when it may not have been at all alike. The little bits of the interview I have seen have not come across all that badly but I have not seen the bits Vaughan refers to, they certainly don't sound good at all.
Well it all sounds eerily familiar to Tres actually, when he gave a similar shambolic interview to Sky denying he had been depressed. Something he deeply regrets now.

I don't really like the way this is going, and thing we should lay off the condemnation until it all pans out. Yet it seems the England Team have learnt nothing, this interview just intensifies all the pressure he'll be under. cluster****.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I'd hold off the stronger criticisms being thrown around, but using words like "crazy" and "nutcase" to implicitly describe people with mental illnesses when you yourself were widely believed to be suffering one is... unfortunate, to say the least.

grecian

Yeah I'd hold off the stronger criticisms being thrown around, but using words like "crazy" and "nutcase" to implicitly describe people with mental illnesses when you yourself were widely believed to be suffering one is... unfortunate, to say the least.
Indeed, but it really does scream denial. "I'm not one of those people"

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, it does look that way. Smacks of desperation but also makes it even less of a good idea to have him anywhere near the England setup in the short-term future IMO.

grecian

Yeah, it does look that way. Smacks of desperation but also makes it even less of a good idea to have him anywhere near the England setup in the short-term future IMO.
Yep, I'm changing my mind on that. Think it best if he has a decent time in County Cricket, and scoring runs.

On another note,I don't really buy this stuff about him being found out by fast-bowling though. Anyone that has watched Trott over the last 18 months would know he's been getting out in uncharacteristic ways against most bowling. Totally different to how he had been playing for years before.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
MARTIN SAMUEL COLUMN: Truth about Jonathan Trott depression is ECB are best spinners of all | Mail Online

Think a few of the journos are more annoyed at what came from ECB rather than at Trott himself. Off-the-record type stuff, the journos been told it's depression basically, and now they feel they've been duped.

Jarquis

Am I the only one who thinks everyone has massively misconstrued what Trott has said? I get using the words 'nutcase' and 'crazy' probably isn't the greatest idea at any time but in the context he used them he was saying that is what he was/would have been called by others. There are still people out there who barely recognise depression or any mental illness as a genuine illness and the same people proffer the whole macho/bravado nature of competitive sport and who would suggest that he need to toughen up and that to 'run away' is 'madness' or 'weakness' - it wasn't a reflection of how Trott feels himself, or at least it wasn't to me.

Spark

Global Moderator
Am I the only one who thinks everyone has massively misconstrued what Trott has said? I get using the words 'nutcase' and 'crazy' probably isn't the greatest idea at any time but in the context he used them he was saying that is what he was/would have been called by others. There are still people out there who barely recognise depression or any mental illness as a genuine illness and the same people proffer the whole macho/bravado nature of competitive sport and who would suggest that he need to toughen up and that to 'run away' is 'madness' or 'weakness' - it wasn't a reflection of how Trott feels himself, or at least it wasn't to me.
“I’m not crazy I was just burnt out,” he said.
"They think ‘there goes that nutcase’ or whatever..."
I have no doubt that he didn't mean to imply what he accidentally implies here but this is a pretty case of "words that really haven't been thought through properly" and it's not an intelligent thing to say in the context. I'm willing to give him leniency because, and I mean this in the most respectful manner possible, I don't think he's entirely thinking clearly but it's one of those things where you read/hear it and you go "ooooh, did I just...?"

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Always struck me as a socially awkward guy in his interviews. Put a guy like that in the spotlight when he is unstable and **** like this is bound to happen imo.