• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketer of the generation award

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Such a pile of poo. Let's try and give 1 award to either a spinner or a batsman or an all-rounder ! Retards ! ! This is exactly what I feared would happen once Sachin became a full time MP in Parliament, using his retirement money for brand building purposes :@ :) Neither of the three should accept this award if given

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Look forward to the backlash if/when Sachin wins this. Plan on poking the bear a lot as well.

harsh.ag

If they were trying to be serious, they would have had 1 award for one of Sachin, Lara and Ponting; 1 award for one of Warne, Murali and McGrath; and 1 award for either of Kallis and Gilchrist

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
If they were trying to be serious, they would have had 1 award for one of Sachin, Lara and Ponting; 1 award for one of Warne, Murali and McGrath; and 1 award for either of Kallis and Gilchrist
Don't exactly see how Kallis and Gilchrist relate?

TNT

Banned
Has to be Tendulkar, the award has been manufactured for him, its the BCCI's way of getting Tendulkar a ICC award. Cant have Ponting winning the cricketer of the decade and Tendulkar getting nothing.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
They might as well have just called this the Sachin Tendulkar Tribute award and gotten it over with straight away – there’s no way cricinfo will risk a meltdown from 95% of their market by NOT giving it to Tendulkar.

Personally I’ve got no issue with Sachin winning it and if I were on the panel I might well vote for him myself, but to say this award feels more than a little manufactured would be putting it mildly.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This disgusts me. I'd love it if cricinfo had the balls to give it to Warne or Kallis but we all know what's going to happen. Don't know what would annoy me more though: CW hating on Sachin if he wins or the whole of India losing its **** and Gavaskar inevitably calling someone racist if Sachin doesn't win.
Personally would've chosen Gilchrist for the award. Among these three, Warne.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

And it's so obvious that the dates they have chose 1993-2013 are handpicked to be ideal for Sachin. I mean how the **** do you define a generation like that ?? Yeah, 20 years in which Sachin played is a generation! Not from 1990, because then we might have to consider Wasim Akram. Not till 2006, because then we might have to give it to Lara. Seriousy ****s, grow up. And Sachin, if by any chance you have taken to lurking in here at CW after retirement, DO NOT accept this award when given ! :@ :dry:

Daemon

1993 was the year I was born. It's a very accurate date to use to define this generation.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
And it's so obvious that the dates they have chose 1993-2013 are handpicked to be ideal for Sachin. I mean how the **** do you define a generation like that ?? Yeah, 20 years in which Sachin played is a generation! Not from 1990, because then we might have to consider Wasim Akram. Not till 2006, because then we might have to give it to Lara. Seriousy ****s, grow up. And Sachin, if by any chance you have taken to lurking in here at CW after retirement, DO NOT accept this award when given ! :@ :dry:
Even if the award has been handpicked for SRT, I think in terms of the dates they are more to do with cricinfo starting in 1993. They made a big deal of the 20 year thing last year.

harsh.ag

Even if the award has been handpicked for SRT, I think in terms of the dates they are more to do with cricinfo starting in 1993. They made a big deal of the 20 year thing last year.
True, but they didn't give the award last year. As someone mentioned, this has come after Ponting being declared the player of the last decade. And again, how the **** do they think this defines a generation? If anything, the new generation came around 1996, after the dismantling of the Windies stronghold, and the old guard of Australia and England done and dusted. and came to an end around 2007, with the retirement of McGrath and Warne. New faces came to dominate the scene after that. The old guard were pushed to the back, including Ponting, Dravid and Sachin.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
True, but they didn't give the award last year. As someone mentioned, this has come after Ponting being declared the player of the last decade. And again, how the **** do they think this defines a generation? If anything, the new generation came around 1996, after the dismantling of the Windies stronghold, and the old guard of Australia and England done and dusted. and came to an end around 2007, with the retirement of McGrath and Warne. New faces came to dominate the scene after that. The old guard were pushed to the back, including Ponting, Dravid and Sachin.
Even under that basis 1993 seems fairer. Taking the "dismantling of the Windies side"

Viv Richards: retired 1991
Greenidge: 1991
Marshall: 1991
Dujon: 1991
Logie: 1991
Patterson: 1992
Harper: 1993
Haynes: 1994

Other iconic players from the era of Packer, Saffa isolation and 'taches that retired around this time are

Botham retired 1992
Gower 1992
Imran 1992
Miandad 1993
Kapil 1994
Border 1994
Pringle 1992

So I think 1993 on serves as pretty good measure of "this generation" or "the modern era" if you prefer

But yes, silly award created just to give to Tendulkar, not even trying to be subtle about it, etc etc

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Weird post really. I think 1993 is a pretty good starting point for the generation tbh. Tendulkar, Warne and Lara began to establish themselves as superstars around this time after most of the previous generation had retired. SA entered the test arena around that time too.

OverratedSanity

I guess I was in a hangover for 3 years then :laugh:
Let's see:

Lara's 277 at Sydney which truly announced him to the world : 1993
Muralitharan's debut: Late 1992
McGrath's debut: 1993
Warne's ball of the century: 1993

Only Tendulkar was slightly more established than the others, even though his first true masterpiece was again arguably in 1993 at Perth.

1993 is the perfect year marking the start of that generation imo. Previous 2-3 years was probably the passing of the baton to the next gen, just like 2011-2013 has been. There's always an overlap between gens and the award is a blatantly clear let's kiss Sachin's behind again event, but I don't think the time frame they chose was wrong at all

Last edited: