• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketer of the generation award

paulted

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The award is said to be since 1993.

That Hadlee retired in 1990 and Dev in 1994 provides a few issues.
You Misunderstand....I did not mean those players should get the award. I meant players who were in the same position as them, who played in poor teams. Like Andy Flower or Brian Lara.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
If one goes strictly by utility, Kallis should have this sewed up.

Otherwise, it's McGrath, Warne/Murali, Lara/Tendulkar. I suppose Tendulkar would have the edge over Lara due to longevity and being the better overall player ODIs included, and Warne over Murali for the overall package. So - Kallis, McGrath, Warne, Tendulkar.

I'm not decided about Gilchrist.
so overall highest test wickets doesnt come into it then?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They're awarding this now because in three years' time it will be so obviously Steve Smith that Tendulkar would miss out.

Just wih Murali being allowed to continue bowling, it won't be Tendulkar's fault if officials see to it he gets this award even though he shouldn't.
If they don't vote until after the shield final, he could win it imo

YorksLanka

International Debutant
I believe all else is roughly equal and Warne's batting gives him the edge as a cricketer.
yeah ok, sorry thought we were talking about just bowling but i now see its "crickete"r so if batting comes into it then yeah Warne, but imho on bowling alone, Murali..

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Don't know why people are taking all this so seriously, I mean we regularly see guys rating x>y because stats say so (or because he's my favorite or because if he's from my country) I think its best to give less significance to such stupidities and ignore them rather them taking too much interest in it. Comparisons can be done at a very lower level, u can't rate the "greats" of the game.They are too special and too talented to be judged by anyone.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Should be Johnson and Bravo for the test awards. Could be given to Steyn and Bell though.

OverratedSanity

Lots of bad choices for the awards tbh. Would've voted for one of Bravo or Faf or Prior's match saving efforts. And it was extremely strange that Dhoni's hundred against Pakistan which came after we were 5 down for bigger all wasn't even nominated for the ODI award. Rohit winning the award is a mini travesty , really. There were far better innings than that one played last year

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Posted by Chetan Tiwari on (March 14, 2014, 19:25 GMT)
God of Cricket SACHIN.. Deserves This..

Chetan has spoken.

Daemon

Lots of bad choices for the awards tbh. Would've voted for one of Bravo or Faf or Prior's match saving efforts. And it was extremely strange that Dhoni's hundred against Pakistan which came after we were 5 down for bigger all wasn't even nominated for the ODI award. Rohit winning the award is a mini travesty , really. There were far better innings than that one played last year
Yeah, I would've gone for that Dhoni knock for sure.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I can see why they went for Dhawan's knock, though. All of day one rained out, and the debutant twirls his moustache, goes 'meh' and plays a ridiculous knock that wins the Test anyway.

EDIT: My bad. Thought you guys were discussing Dhoni's 224. Carry on.

Last edited: