• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketer of the generation award

paulted

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
How about giving it to someone who was able to excel although playing in a poor team, and if they did well against the best teams too? Hadlee and Kapil Dev for example.....

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Even under that basis 1993 seems fairer. Taking the "dismantling of the Windies side"

Viv Richards: retired 1991
Greenidge: 1991
Marshall: 1991
Dujon: 1991
Logie: 1991
Patterson: 1992
Harper: 1993
Haynes: 1994

Other iconic players from the era of Packer, Saffa isolation and 'taches that retired around this time are

Botham retired 1992
Gower 1992
Imran 1992
Miandad 1993
Kapil 1994
Border 1994
Pringle 1992

So I think 1993 on serves as pretty good measure of "this generation" or "the modern era" if you prefer

But yes, silly award created just to give to Tendulkar, not even trying to be subtle about it, etc etc

I never thought I'd see Derek Pringle referred to as an iconic player!

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
Don't really see why anyone would get worked up about this.
Exactly. If you can have a 10 years then why not 20 or 30 years? Nothing to get worked up about it so much. It's just a random period and a random award.

I personally feel that when you account for both formats then SRT does have the strongest claim anyway. If we only take the test format, situation won't be the same.

watson

Banned
Exactly. If you can have a 10 years then why not 20 or 30 years? Nothing to get worked up about it so much. It's just a random period and a random award.

I personally feel that when you account for both formats then SRT does have the strongest claim anyway. If we only take the test format, situation won't be the same.
That' right, it's pretty difficult to define a generation of cricketers. However, most ATG cricketers span two decades during their career. Batsman like Kanhai spanned three, but he would be an exception.

I reckon that a generation of cricketers would consist of those cricketers who have played most of their cricket within the last 20 years. But that's just a guess.

Hooksey

Banned
How about giving it to someone who was able to excel although playing in a poor team, and if they did well against the best teams too? Hadlee and Kapil Dev for example.....
The award is said to be since 1993.

That Hadlee retired in 1990 and Dev in 1994 provides a few issues.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
uh guys are you aware that 1993 is the starting point because that's when Cricinfo was founded ie it makes sense

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
There is nothing to be excited about here. If public selects it will be Tendulkar. If panel selects it will be Warne.

Correct answer is neither. It is Muralidharan.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It's Warne FFS. As much as I think he's a tosser, he's the most skilled legspinner to have played in about 60 years. And legspin is the most difficult of arts in cricket, there's no doubting that surely.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Reading this thread, I am curious why you all think it's a set up for Tendulkar. It has always been Warne as the cricketer of the generation or century or since dawn of time whenever panel of experts have got together. I will be shocked if it's not him.

Public voting is of course not even necessary for this.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They're awarding this now because in three years' time it will be so obviously Steve Smith that Tendulkar would miss out.

Just wih Murali being allowed to continue bowling, it won't be Tendulkar's fault if officials see to it he gets this award even though he shouldn't.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
should be tendulkar, murali should be there ahead of warne as he is better and surprised that lara is not in there..

G.I.Joe

International Coach
If one goes strictly by utility, Kallis should have this sewed up.

Otherwise, it's McGrath, Warne/Murali, Lara/Tendulkar. I suppose Tendulkar would have the edge over Lara due to longevity and being the better overall player ODIs included, and Warne over Murali for the overall package. So - Kallis, McGrath, Warne, Tendulkar.

I'm not decided about Gilchrist.