• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sadly short test careers...

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Damien Fleming. Sans injury could've taken something like 300+ wickets @ ~25, which probably would see him as one of the better bowlers to play Test cricket.
True. Him and Bruce Reid (who I mentioned earlier) could've been remember as real greats of fast bowling.

Hooksey

Banned
True. Him and Bruce Reid (who I mentioned earlier) could've been remember as real greats of fast bowling.
Bruce Reid was an earlier carnation of Glenn McGrath - all be it a left arm version - and if he hadn't of broken in half so many times his Test record would have been the envy of most.

Red

Bruce Reid was an earlier carnation of Glenn McGrath - all be it a left arm version - and if he hadn't of broken in half so many times his Test record would have been the envy of most.
Very true. Reid was a magnificent quick. Just worked that left arm angle beautifully, and had the ability to cut back in pretty to right handers as a variation from angling across them. Damn shame he didn't play another 50 tests.

Bloody awful hair though.

Red

- Barry Richards
- Sid Barnes
- Archie Jackson
- Graham Pollock
- Mike Procter
- Stuart Law
- Damian Fleming
- Harold Larwood
- Darren Berry
- Stuart MacGill
- Bruce Reid

Hooksey

Banned
Very true. Reid was a magnificent quick. Just worked that left arm angle beautifully, and had the ability to cut back in pretty to right handers as a variation from angling across them. Damn shame he didn't play another 50 tests.

Bloody awful hair though.
Damn shame, and yes, the hair was a damn shame too :laugh:

Speaking of lefties, Chris Matthews was a far better bowler than he showed at Test level. If he'd got his sh_t together he could have played many more Tests. Who could ever forget his self-destruction in that Test where he could barely land them on the square?

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Windies - Franklyn Stephenson, Sylvester Clarke, Collis King, Richard Austin, David Murray
I don't have much sympathy for those Windians tbh.
I don't think we were deprived too much with respect to those Windians --

King - apart from his 1979 World Cup Final heroics, was nowhere near a Test standard player and essentially became redundant with emergence of Larry Gomes.

Clarke -- the most curious decision to go on the Rebel tour. Certainly could have played a prominent role on the WI team when their quicks started breaking down 82-84 and they started experimenting with Eldine Baptiste, Winston Davis, and Milton Small until Walsh came on the scene.

Murray -- Dujon was superior with bat and gloves.

Franklyn Stephenson - was basically a year older clone of Eldine Baptiste. Was the only Rebel Windian who played 1st class cricket in the W.I. after SA were readmitted, iirc.

Austin -- would not have been a W.I. regular in any format.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know they have very similar First Class records, but having seen plenty of both Stephenson and Baptiste I have to say I think Stephenson was a step above in class

My unbounded admiration for Sylvers is well known here, and I think he was as good as any of the West Indians of that era and better than most, which I think is the point. He was never really in favour and by the time the rebel tours came along he was nearly 30 - his career might have been ended by injury at any minute and he had a wife and three little girls - in his youth he had trained as a carpenter, but had done no carpentry work for years, so the financial imperative must have been overwhelming

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Well, Clarke was 9 months younger than Holding (for some perspective) and his injury-riddled career went as far as 1987 (but as my previous post infers, i don't think Clarke's would have gone beyond 1985).

I guess what probably influence Clarke's decision was the fact he missed out on WSC.

I agree Stephenson was a better player than Baptiste - a faster bowler and better batsman.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
- Barry Richards
- Sid Barnes
- Archie Jackson
- Graham Pollock
- Mike Procter
- Stuart Law
- Damian Fleming
- Harold Larwood
- Darren Berry
- Stuart MacGill
- Bruce Reid
Chuck in The Hon F.S.Jackson who was guaranteed a pick for many years in home Tests against Australia but, due to other commitments, didn't play the 'mino' home Tests and never toured. Also true of C.B.Fry.

Charlie Barnett went quite v Australia in 1938 but had the rest of his career destroyed by WW2.