• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why have sightscreens become SOOOO BIGGG?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
When I first watched international cricket, most sightscreens were just a reasonably small thing on wheels that got moved back and forth depending on right/left handedness.

Sight screens now are enormous things, and apparently a few hundred seats behind the bowlers arm now have to be covered in white or black shade-cloth as well.

Why?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Been pretty massive for a while, according to Brian Lara/Shane Warne Cricket '99.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Well, think about all the stopping of the game when people are moving around that massive sight screen. Then think of the issues with a smaller one.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They're still pretty small at the Basin (though I had noticed they'd put some scaffolding up to make them bigger than previous years at the Newtown End at least).

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good point - back in the day some sightscreens (notably those at Lord's) were so tiny as to be next to useless - modern players have it so easy - just another reason why WG Grace was the greatest cricketer ever :ph34r:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
They're still pretty small at the Basin (though I had noticed they'd put some scaffolding up to make them bigger than previous years at the Newtown End at least).
Loved the manual opening and closing of the advertising on them, and the high-tech (and highly successful) method of keeping people from walking behind the bowler's arm.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Good point - back in the day some sightscreens (notably those at Lord's) were so tiny as to be next to useless - modern players have it so easy - just another reason why WG Grace was the greatest cricketer ever :ph34r:
Probably lattice? Isn't there a story of a groundsman growing his beans on one?

Hooksey

Banned
When I first watched international cricket, most sightscreens were just a reasonably small thing on wheels that got moved back and forth depending on right/left handedness.

Sight screens now are enormous things, and apparently a few hundred seats behind the bowlers arm now have to be covered in white or black shade-cloth as well.

Why?
How much has your TV at home gown during the same period? Bigger is better.