Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: DRS: Worth Persevering With?

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Do umpires even call front foot no-balls anymore? Unless there's a possible wicket and they want to clarify?

U19 12th Man
    Heck, umpires are beginning to use the third umpire to count balls in an over (as seen in the RSA's 2nd innings at Newlands).

At this rate, there will be one of these behind each set of stumps with a speaker attached to it;

Last edited by Second Spitter; 06-03-2014 at 08:28 PM.

DRS has been quite successful I think, and is absolutely worth persevering with, its aim is to eliminate 'howlers' from the game, and if captains didn't abuse the system by using it to review very close decisions (sometimes out of desperation), then it would serve that function perfectly, as it is, that function is largely being served anyway, particularly now that captains such as Alistair Cook have worked out how to get the best out of it. The solution to make the system perfectly is certainly not to put it in the hands of the increasingly scrutinised and conservative umpires, as Furball was saying, everything would be checked, and the game would slow to a crawl. Not only that, but the system of "3rd umpire intervention" that I often see spouted as the solution to this problem has arguably been discredited by its trial during the Ryobi Cup in 2012/13 .

"It's just shocking, it's embarrassing, it needs to worked out," said Bailey, also Australia's Twenty20 captain. "I think it confuses the players, I think it confuses the umpires. I think leave it in the hands of the players. You get two, if you use them with bad reviews then so be it."Paul Marsh, the chief executive of the Australian Cricketers Association and a member of the cricket committee, said the problems encountered with the system had not been envisaged at the time it was devised, and would force a close look at its faults at the end of the summer.
    "Certainly when it was talked about conceptually we didn't see the problems that would come up," Marsh told ESPNcricinfo. "There are issues with broadcaster actually showing replays, and I don't think anyone saw that, and it just seems to be inconsistent the way that it is working. It definitely is something we need to put on our agenda for the coming year.
    Proudly supporting the world's no 1 spin bowler Rangana Herath and the mighty Sri Lankans!

I even made a domestic thread

Not sure players can put their sunglasses on that.
    Shri likes this.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Yup, you're relying even more on the host broadcaster if you leave it to the players in the rooms.

Anything that relies on the batsman not getting off the ground so that a third party (3rd umpire or his teammate) will end up as a pure farce.
    Last edited by vic_orthdox; 06-03-2014 at 11:49 PM.

I actually think the system as it is now is great. Umpires will make mistakes, even 3rd umpires.... but I really believe the current system helps when there is a very clear 'howler' which is what it is there for. The 50/50 ones are just a part of the package but if it means we eliminate most blatantly wrong decisions then so be it.
    jcas0167 likes this.
    Andrew Symonds 143*

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Not sure players can put their sunglasses on that.
    Better?

Doug Bollinger can even leave his rug on it.

Is...is that a Steve Smith bust?

one thing i found quite wierd is that the reviews reset at 80 overs, but not again at 160
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

No team but India bowls 160 overs in a test innings.
    Jono likes this.

But why two referrals? How about 1 per batsman? Both teams would have to be more sure about how and when to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulted View Post
    For line decisions: Run outs, No balls, and iffy catches fine....But lets give the umpires the authority they deserve. Its not, in my opinion made the game better. It's always been a great game and needs little tinkering. Remember the subs.........?
    YES, it's worth persevering with. The human eye often misses things and it's unfair on umpires, players and fans for the best evidence not to be available to the decision makers.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    I actually think the system is pretty good as it is.

You can't give the Umpires the ability to review decisions because otherwise it'll be like run outs where they will review everything 'just to be sure'.

The no-ball phenomenon is bizarre though and frankly annoying.
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by GotSpin View Post
    I actually think the system is pretty good as it is.

You can't give the Umpires the ability to review decisions because otherwise it'll be like run outs where they will review everything 'just to be sure'.

The no-ball phenomenon is bizarre though and frankly annoying.
    Yeah I agree with all of this. I think there are areas the system could be improved but giving umpires the decision on whether to review or not is not one of them. Would slow the game down too much and be bad from the point of view of entertainment levels. I mean if you are a team in charge of your own reviews and you use (or indeed fail to use) them in the wrong situations that's your own fault anyway.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Cricket Spectator
    The only issue I have with the current system is with needing conclusive proof to overturn a decision. The commentators keep telling me the 3rd umpire needs conclusive evidence to overturn but in practise it seems more like they ignore the original decision.

An example of this is the Philander decision if he was given not out or the 3rd umpire was ignoring the on field umpire and making a new call than I agree not out is correct, however I saw no conclusive evidence that his hand was off the bat, so why was it overturned.

I think an important part of any sports video review system is that people watching at home know what call is going to be made even if they don't necessarily agree with it.
    Shri likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information