• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No 2 keeper-batsman

Who is the 2nd best keeper-batsman in the world? (assuming ABDV is no 1)

• Total voters

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I know that there have been threads about the depth in keeper-batsmen (stressing the batting side of things), but who do you think is the 2nd best behind AB (provided you think he is number one)?

Last edited:

Debris

International 12th Man
AB and Dhoni are really batsmen who can keep a bit but that seems to be teams are after.

paulted

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Good Captain and lower order batsman, but Dhoni's keeping is clumsy, Buttler is looking good

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Haddin or Watling.

However, Prasanna Jayawardene would be my first pick as wicketkeeper because I love the pure keepers.

Ike

Cricket Web Staff Member
Had to vote for Ramdin after reading Riggins post. :)

Plus he had a great innings, even though it fell short, in the last ODI against England.

All that said, my vote should be discounted, since I don't know all the nominees well enough to judge intelligently amongst them.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Am I the only one here that struggles with considering ABD the best wicket keeper batsmen in the world??

Look, he is very arguably the best batsmen in the world right now, and there is nothing hideously wrong with his keeping......so I realise it is going to be very hard to lodge a case for him not being the best keeper/batsmen, but I still can't get my head around it. I think the reason is that I don't think this is going to last and he is still a fill in measure for the Proteas. My thinking is probably ****ed up so I'm quite prepared to be shot down here.......but if Don Bradman filled in with the gloves for a few tests would he be considered the best keeper/batsmen ever??

I know ABD has played more than "a few tests" as a keeper now, but if Boucher hadn't have suffered that horrendous injury and played on then it is unlikely he would have gotten dropped for ABD.........and did anyone consider Boucher the best going around at the time??

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The thread says keeper-batsman, so I can sort of understand the lack of PJ, but it's a complete insult to go and put Ramdin (and Prior, really) in there ahead of him tbh, Watling for me

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hard to say with AB as he hasn't kept to a huge amount of spin, and not much quality stuff. And he's not the best technician with the gloves, just the best catcher of the ball in the world whether with or without gloves.

Surely his time keeping will come to an end now, he'll be captain from here on in you'd imagine?

Watson33

U19 12th Man
Kamran Akmal surely? How have people missed him off?

No but in all seriousness, the best keeper-batsman in current form would have to Haddin.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry, didn't include Prasanna J bcos of the batting component. If this were for pure wicketkeeping, I'd rate him no 1. Leaving Mushrifur out was probably a mistake though - he is actually pretty useful, but debuting when barely out of nappies has affected his overall stats.

Anyway, Watling for me.