• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Speed or Action?

Dory

Cricket Spectator
I was watching a review of the Australia's summer and they mentioned about what a difference having a bowler who bowls at 150km makes.

It got me thinking that this summer Morkel was bowling about the same speed as Johnson, at worse averaging a couple of km slower yet Johnson took 22 @ 17.36 Morkel 6 @ 63.50.

The big difference in my opinion between Morkel and Johnson is Johnsons left arm slinging action. I would argue the issue batsman are having with Johnson is picking up Johnson action.

Are we making too big a deal of Johnson speed?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The biggest difference was Johnson mixing it up. Sure he dished out loads of short stuff, but how many blokes did he castle this summer, or get lbw? He kind of bowled Morkel's pace at Steyn's length.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
People are obviously wrong when they place too much importance at the speed at which Johnson is bowling, it is not something that has allowed him to revive his career. His action is a bit difficult, with that action its tough to get the release right, that is why he gets so wayward at times, but he has become a lot more accurate now which is making it difficult for the batsmen, and with that kind of release, the short balls become even more difficult since they skid through the surface and reach the batsmen faster than expected. He never lacked that pace, its just that he is getting it right now and yes, that action gives him a huge advantage.

Debris

International 12th Man
Johnson's action no doubt makes him seem even faster than he is. The ball disappears from batsman's view partway through his action, just like Thommo.

paulted

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Depends on the angle too. Because of his height Joel Garner had the ball coming out of a background above the height of the sightscreen. Some grounds too have blind spots.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
There are many reasons why one bowler gets more wickets than another. Speed, action etc, all comes in to it but accuracy plays a big part. The new Johnson is way more accurate than the old one.

the big bambino

International Captain
Also Morkel had a **** load of bad luck. Whereas luck has been giving Mitch a head job lately. (Not implying that he hasn't bowled anything other than brilliantly mind you).

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
People are obviously wrong when they place too much importance at the speed at which Johnson is bowling,.
The batsmen who have to play it seem to rate it (his pace), funnily enough...

watson

Banned
Johnson's action no doubt makes him seem even faster than he is. The ball disappears from batsman's view partway through his action, just like Thommo.
Yes I thought that the ball disappeared from view as well. However, after watching a number of videos it's pretty obvious that it doesn't, and that the batsman has a good view of the ball form start to finish.

I can understand that Johnson's 'stuttering' and less than fluid action might put the batsman off though. That is, anticipating the length of delivering might be more difficult when compared to more conventional actions.

Top_Cat

Have noticed a huge difference in the way Johnson runs in. Used to take big steps now takes faster, almost tippy-toe steps so he hits the crease taller and, I think, means he uses momentum from his run-up instead of relying on slinging the ball at pace. To be able to do that, you need to be fitter and he most certainly is that but, as he requires less of his body in generating pace, can sustain it for longer and is less likely to lose his body shape. When you lose your body and are dragging the ball down/bowling wide/etc, it definitely affects you psychologically. In those situations, you feel like nothing you're trying will work whereas if you feel fit and firing, even if you get smashed you feel like your method is sound it's just not your day. Only the former situation do you lose hope and faith in your method. That said, have little doubt the way Clarke uses him is key, as opposed to bowling him into the ground looking for the One True Ball like Ponting used to.

Overall, he might be a touch slower than he was capable in the early days but it's still dynamite pace, more consistently in the right places and all day. It's hard to face a bloke who can bowl 90+ and much harder if that guy is having a good day. It's exponentially tougher when he can do it all day. Probably the difference between Johnson and Morkel right now.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
The batsmen who have to play it seem to rate it (his pace), funnily enough...
Many guys bowl quick, but don't think they are equally menacing, m not saying that pace is useless, but his recent rise has less to do with pace and more with accuracy. And like I said, with that type of action, makes it extremely difficult for the batsmen, there's late swing on offer, plus his bouncers become even more lethal since the just skid through and reaches the batsmen a lot faster than expected. Johnson was bowling such bouncers even on Indian wickets and troubling the batsmen, this is not common.

Debris

International 12th Man
Yes I thought that the ball disappeared from view as well. However, after watching a number of videos it's pretty obvious that it doesn't, and that the batsman has a good view of the ball form start to finish.

I can understand that Johnson's 'stuttering' and less than fluid action might put the batsman off though. That is, anticipating the length of delivering might be more difficult when compared to more conventional actions.
It looks to which I watch a slow motion video.

Dory

Cricket Spectator
Overall, he might be a touch slower than he was capable in the early days but it's still dynamite pace, more consistently in the right places and all day. It's hard to face a bloke who can bowl 90+ and much harder if that guy is having a good day. It's exponentially tougher when he can do it all day. Probably the difference between Johnson and Morkel right now.
Johnson has been terrifying some of the best batsman going around. I don't buy that it is just his speed, Tait didn't tear through teams like Johnson has, players who bowl that quick in first class cricket aren't taking bags of wickets. There has to be more to Johnson form then just speed.

Top_Cat

Yeah, like I said, speed, consistently in the bad spots for the batsmen he's facing and he's doing it all day. There's no outrageous movement but you don't need it when that's all happening.

Last edited:

Debris

International 12th Man
Johnson has been terrifying some of the best batsman going around. I don't buy that it is just his speed, Tait didn't tear through teams like Johnson has, players who bowl that quick in first class cricket aren't taking bags of wickets. There has to be more to Johnson form then just speed.
Tait was plenty terrifying ... for about 4 overs. After that, no so much.