• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest opener of the last 20 years?

Greatest opener of the last two decades

• Matthew "Fair weather" Hayden

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Justin "Australian Biff" Langer

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Virender " Ima eff you up" Sehwag

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Graeme "bats with a ****ing brojen hand against Mitch" Smith

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Imrul "Has a test hundred" Kayes

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 9.3%

• Total voters

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Despite recent proceedings I think it's harsh to leave Cook out of the poll.

OverratedSanity

Despite recent proceedings I think it's harsh to leave Cook out of the poll.
Thought about him but thought he was a bit too recent. Debuted only in 2007 didn't he? Still has a long career ahead of him, hopefully

Last edited:

Daemon

I can't choose between Smith, Hayden and Sehwag but I'd have them in that order I guess, with Cook close behind.

Next tier would be Katich, Langer, Strauss etc.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Anyone noticed how **** the world openers are currently btw? Like Warner is the best in the world right now with Cook seriously out of form. Rogers with 4 tons could friggin' make a World XI too.

Anyway its a battle between choosing one of Hayden and Sehwag to accompany Smith. For mine Smith's 4th innings record is enough for me to have him #1.

Burgey

Mark Taylor not even mentioned ffs. Given CW wisdom is 90s >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any other decade in cricket history, I'd think everyone would acknowledge he would have averaged 174.7 in the 00s or 10s and accordingly he is the greatest opener of the past 20 years.

TNT

Banned
Hayden & Sehwag

Smiths failure to reach triple figures against India and Sri Lanka puts doubt on his abilities against spin.

Burgey

Of last 20 years, i would rate in the order of:

1. Sehwag
2. Smith
3. Langer
4. Hayden
5. Cook
6. Kirstien
You reckon Gary Kirsten, Justin Langer and Alistair Cook are better opening batsmen than Mark Taylor?

smash84

The Tiger King
I thought Michael Slater was worth a shout too. Was amazing throughout the 90s and was one of the first ones to really score very quickly during that time while opening the innings

subshakerz

International Coach
Would give a shout out to the classy Saeed Anwar. Had he played in the 2000s, would have comfortably averaged in the 50s. I could be wrong, I dont think any opener averaged more than he did in the 90s. The only problem is that he only played 45 tests, but he did as well against Donald and McGrath as he did against Warne and Murali.

subshakerz

International Coach
Hayden & Sehwag

Smiths failure to reach triple figures against India and Sri Lanka puts doubt on his abilities against spin.
For an opener, your ability against swing is far more important than against spin. Your main job is to see off the new ball. On that score, Smith is better than Sehwag, who didnt average over 30 in swinging conditions in England, SA and NZ. Smith vs. Hayden is a bit tougher though.

Smith did fail in India, but he well in Sri Lanka and against Ajmal in the UAE to remove major doubts over his ability to play spin.