• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest opener of the last 20 years?

Greatest opener of the last two decades

• Matthew "Fair weather" Hayden

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Justin "Australian Biff" Langer

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Virender " Ima eff you up" Sehwag

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Graeme "bats with a ****ing brojen hand against Mitch" Smith

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Imrul "Has a test hundred" Kayes

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 9.3%

• Total voters

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cook underrated as a whole based on recent form IMO

Not a lot between him and Smith as a whole surely.

Hayden probably the best of those quoted though Burgey has a case with Taylor. All of the top openers of this century have had lean patches and technical faults that have been exposed for long periods or often IMO

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah Cook's getting massively under-rated when the only team he's struggled against has been Australia.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Cook underrated as a whole based on recent form IMO

Not a lot between him and Smith as a whole surely.

Hayden probably the best of those quoted though Burgey has a case with Taylor. All of the top openers of this century have had lean patches and technical faults that have been exposed for long periods or often IMO
Yeah Cook's getting massively under-rated when the only team he's struggled against has been Australia.
Yeah that's fair. Perhaps there's also the fact his career isn't anywhere near over which may have people waiting to see where he ends up. Could trump everyone if he plays for another 5 years.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Out of that bunch I'd probably take Langer.

Alec Stewart a very decent call. So are Tubby and Slats.

Plenty of respect for Smith and Sehwag also. Always liked Trescothick.

Hard call.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
After reflection, my gut feeling is that I'd want Langer and Kirsten opening the batting for my team because of their consistent allround success against some exceptional bowlers (conveniently ignored Kirsten's failure during a singular series in the West Indies)

Unfortunately, Smith's mediocre averages against India and Sri Lanka, and not one single century against them after a stack of Tests, takes him out the picture IMO

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Should've put Taylor in the poll,pretty big oversight. Probably forgot him because he's from a slightly earlier timeline than the others. Also, Cook has a long career still ahead of him... Doesn't feel right to include him yet

watson

Banned
Should've put Taylor in the poll,pretty big oversight. Probably forgot him because he's from a slightly earlier timeline than the others. Also, Cook has a long career still ahead of him... Doesn't feel right to include him yet
I've always found it a bit odd that we can make a judgement on a batsman like Barry Richards after only 4 Tests, but cannot make a judgement on Cook who's played more than a 100 Tests.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha, whilst true, I guess the point is Cook could become even better, and its not like he's near the end (like Sachin, Punter etc. were) so probably feels a little weird including him. He's definitely played enough already to be included though, so I get your point.

No doubt if this thread was posted in 2012 Cook would have gotten more votes in this poll.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Seriously under-rated on this thread, especially with some of the pitches he had to play on. 4 test centuries doesn't do him justice tbh.
If ...

a) he had been picked earlier
b) had a better conversion rate (it was sadly Flemingesque)
c) had a better S/R (even 47 instead of 37)

His record might have been exceptional.

Anyway, regardless of what ifs, in terms of crease occupation/balls faced and consistency he'd be one of the highest

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I respect the hell out of Richardson but you want your openers scoring tons nowadays - and by modern I mean his time as well.

Not in the conversation when you're talking about the names on that poll. IMO at least.

OverratedSanity

I've always found it a bit odd that we can make a judgement on a batsman like Barry Richards after only 4 Tests, but cannot make a judgement on Cook who's played more than a 100 Tests.
Ftr, I don't rate Barry Richards. Atleast not as a test batsman. Cook is borderline for me... He debuted in 2007 didn't he? Probably has done enough to be in the conversation, especially if people are mentioning Richardson

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
think he'd be a pretty useful pick. Obviously not in the class of the others but there are plenty of weaknesses that the other players had that Richardson didn't. Almost all of them have poor records against the top teams of their era and away from home. I mean, that's not a surprising stat at all, but Richardson's relatively short career and limited batsmanship are comparable to a number of flaws that some of those batsmen had.

Think Smith or Taylor take it though.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Ftr, I don't rate Barry Richards. Atleast not as a test batsman. Cook is borderline for me... He debuted in 2007 didn't he? Probably has done enough to be in the conversation, especially if people are mentioning Richardson
we're not seriously mentioning Richardson, I just found it funny that you can almost make a case. Cook has done miles more.

morgieb

Given the timeline I probably can't really consider Taylor the best. A large proportion of his time at the Test level in the last 20 years was spent with him in a major slump.