• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Smith to retire from international cricket

jcas0167

International Debutant
Would people classify him as an ATG?

On the spur of the moment, I'm tending towards yes.
Without hesitation, yes. Fantastic record as an opener over a more than a decade. Great innings under pressure and has done it after being the youngest South African captain at age 22. That shows incredible mental toughness and maturity to handle that responsibility and maintain his own form for such a long period.

The memory that comes to mind of him is him coming out to bat at the SCG with a broken hand to try and save a test when Mitchell Johnson was on fire. He eventually got bowled, but it was rousing stuff and I think summed up Smith's tough, hard nosed approach.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was actually quite surprised to see that Smith has a beautifully uniform record. He's done well everywhere except for done strange reason, India. Great batsman, certainly imo

Jassy

Banned
Not sure how he will go down in history. For me he is definitely a great player.....ATG I am not sure. Interesting though. Has a a below par record vs Aus and Ind plus in those countries. Surprising he hasn't got a single hundred against SL or Ind....Zaheer and lack of tests against SL the reasons really, just nitpicking here. Pressure player, brilliant captaincy record.....borderline for me, unable to decide.

Anyway, thanks for the memories Graeme. Truly one of a kind. Such a setback for SA losing two great players in the space of two months. Not sure they have the batting now to maintain that ranking for too long, AB and Amla aside.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not sure how you could claim he has that much of a below par record in Australia tbh. Was man of the series in one of the three series he played down here and was fairly crucial in winning one of the others too.

OverratedSanity

In terms of players having mediocre averages against/ in certain countries , I'm willing to ignore that if the player has a handful of truly vital or great knocks. A bit like Dravid's average against Aus. It dropped to below 40 after that last series but 3 of our greatest victories against Australia had immense performances from him.

OverratedSanity

Not sure how you could claim he has that much of a below par record in Australia tbh. Was man of the series in one of the three series he played down here and was fairly crucial in winning one of the others too.
Two of his best chasing tons came against them too. Perth and Capetown. Plus the Adelaide du plessis rearguard might not have even been possible without Smith's first innings ton

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Quite simply, a very very good player and a great captain. My 2nd fav captain in all sports behind Richie McCaw. One word - RESPECT

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Wonder if Smithy is looking for a coaching gig?? Reckon I know where there may be a job that he'd suit perfectly.

morgieb

In terms of players having mediocre averages against/ in certain countries , I'm willing to ignore that if the player has a handful of truly vital or great knocks. A bit like Dravid's average against Aus. It dropped to below 40 after that last series but 3 of our greatest victories against Australia had immense performances from him.
His average was under 40 against us?

Surprising.

Also what's the 3rd? Chennai 01?

Jassy

Banned
yeah, that's fair enough. I do that too.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's why Dravid > Tendulkar. The latter bolstered his stats with pretty, albeit entirely useless knocks like the one at Sydney 2004.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That knock at Edgbaston 08 killed me. It was magnificent. I hated every second of it. Tremendous. One of the great knocks

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It's why Dravid > Tendulkar. The latter bolstered his stats with pretty, albeit entirely useless knocks like the one at Sydney 2004.
With all due respect Furball, as you didn't watch cricket in the 90s you seriously cannot make comments like that. Crazy talk.

Dravid didn't do it often enough against Warne and McGrath for mine to even compare his record against Australia with Tendulkar. One knock of significance against them. None in Australia.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I mean by that definition all of Dravid's knocks against England in 2011 were ****ing useless.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
One of his more underrated ones, along with Kandy 2001
Yeah it was admirable considering he was disgustingly out of form during that 2007/08 series, couldn't get it off the square. That knock was pure guts. Reason why it was underrated is because he threw it away with a horrible shot against Symonds, and Laxman's knock in the 2nd dig was sublime and was seen as the matchwinner.

Ftr Tendulkar's knock in the first innings in Perth was better, just that his innings ended prematurely with a bad LBW decision. FMD Sachin was brilliant that 07/08 tour.