• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick your toughest XI ever!

paulted

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Be afraid be very afraid.........
Matthew Hayden
Douglas Jardine (Captain)
Viv Richards
Allan Border
Peter Willey
Brian Close
Rod Marsh
Bill O'Reilly
Fred Trueman
Colin Croft
Dennis Lillee

Shri

Mr. Glass
Matthew Hayden
Tough and mean are different words.
Graeme Smith coming out to bat with a broken hand = Tough.
Kumble coming back to bowl with a broken jaw held together by a cloth = Tough.

I am a massive fan of Matt Hayden but I haven't seen any toughness from him. I mean he almost drowned himself and had to be saved by Symonds.

smash84

The Tiger King
haha....awta

I think Justin Langer was much more of a tough nut than Hayden.

Also Steve waugh needs to be in that side

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Daniel Flynn had his teeth knocked out by Anderson and turned up to play the next match no wuckin furries.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed about Hayden.

There would be some stronger contenders from 1990's SA - MacMillan was a hard bugger, as was Klusener.
More recently, Andrew hall was a tough 'un as well. Can't remember the exact details, but something about him dealing with being held up at gun point.

watson

Banned
01. Roy Fredericks
02. Bert Sutcliffe
03. Viv Richards
04. Allan Border
05. Steve Waugh
06. Trevor Bailey
07. HB Cameron
08. Hedley Verity
09. Malcolm Marshall
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Neil Adcock

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Hall actually was shot, I'm pretty sure.

1. Justin Langer +
2. Graeme Smith
3. Bill Edrich
4. Douglas Jardine*
5. Allan Border
6. Steve Waugh
7. Brian Close (4)
8. Andrew Hall + (5)
9. Andy Bichel (2)
10. Harold Larwood (1)
11. Bob Appleyard (3)

Most of them have been covered already, but apparently Appleyard played a full season while suffering from TB.
Hall and Langer to share the gloves as necessary, since no proper 'keeper can claim to actually be tough :p

watson

Banned
BTW Colin Croft doesn't deserve to be in the 'toughest' team because while he could dish it out, he couldn't take it. During the 1978 Barbados Test he refused to go in as nightwatchman because Jeff Thomson was bowling. As Croft said, "It was the fastest I've ever seen anybody bowl in a bowling spell in a Test match."

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g7dQ3UABXJk

Shri

Mr. Glass
Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi played all his tests with one eye after losing his right eye 6 months before his test debut.

Last edited:

paulted

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Thought of Miller and Waugh myself. Mind you any of the guys like Miller, Compton, or any of the other players who went to war I'm sure were very brave guys. Verity sadly did not make it back. Special mention to George Lohmann too for the fine career he had despite long illness.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Tough Australians

Justin Langer
David Boon
Stan McCabe
Allan Border
Steve Waugh
Charlie McCartney
Jack Blackham
Hugh Trumble
Ray Lindwall
Dennis Lillee
Fred Spofforth

Flem274*

123/5
Justin Langer
Graeme Smith
Douglas Jardine (c)
Allan Border
The Sri Lankan who got shot (Samaraweera?)
Bert Sutcliffe
Keith Miller
Andrew Hall (wk)
Malcolm Marshall
Anil Kumble
Bob Blair